What effect will this weather have on already struggling tackle shops?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Judging by the posts on FM there have been little actual fishing done by most of us over the last 2 or 3 weeks and what fishing there has been has been limited to a few hours, so what effect will this have on tackle shops?
If people haven't been fishing much if at all then such items as hooks, shot, line and floats will not have needed replacing and then there's the drop in sales of bait, ground bait, additives ect that will see a drop in profit to the tackle shop.
Winter may be a slow time for tackle shops generally but I wouldn't be surprised to find that one or two of the smaller ones go bust after this spell

mick b

Reaction score
Went into my local tackle shop on Tuesday and the owner, his brother and the two members of staff seemed to be operating exactly as normal.
No extra pressure to buy anything, just the usual local news and their excellent service and sound advice.

Sadly, if this weather keeps up as predicted the rivers will not make it back to anything fishable before the season ends.

I just hope this summers sea fishing is as good as last year.

cg74

Reaction score
Just to differ; my local tackle shops have never had so much trade from me, albeit mainly small items - Feeders, barbless hooks, maggots, worms....

As for going bust due to the current weather; I very much doubt it. Here in the south, most of the lakes have never been so busy in Jan/Feb. In areas where river angling is the dominant genre then possibly they'll be finding it tougher.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Generally fishing twice a week I've managed to get out on the rivers here most of the time and on the odd occasion they've been a bit too lively have fished one of the pits. I believe that my local t/s suffered a lot more in the previous few cold winters when the pits had a lid on.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I very much doubt that it'll have a massive impact, beyond the normal winter slow down. Many tackle shops struggle with this time of year, regardless of how good, bad or indifferent the weather is. I know that my local has seen a slight reduction in the out and out river anglers. However, many of their number have either persisted with the rivers or dabbled on stillwaters. Most of those that fish regularly in winter have just have carried on. I'd go so far as to suggest that the distinct lack of snow, ice and sub-zero temperatures are likely to mean that there will have been more anglers on the bank than in the last two or three. Nothing stops anglers quite so effectively as lids on stillwaters and biting cold that leaves rod rings frozen on a flowing water.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As has been said most of the still water fisheries are being fished and the lack of frosts and cold easterly winds has kept the anglers on the bank in my area of east London Essex. I visit my tackle shops at least twice a week and they seem to be ticking over okay with anglers coming in the same as usual river anglers are in the minority these days. It is mainly carp and commercials. The temperatures have been quiet good so far and fish are being caught.

terry m

Reaction score
I don't see it as a big issue.

I do think that the general economic environment makes things tough - but not impossible - for the tackle trade, just like many other industries.