Mitchell Match reels

sampras43

Reaction score
I've been reading the John Wilson Avon thread and all the nostalgic comments got me thinking about my childhood and fishing experiences. As a kid (I think around 12 or 13), an older friend gave me a Mitchell Match reel. I'm not 100% but I think it was one of the blue 440 models. From memory they were all the rage back then and very much wasted on me at the time.

It was the only reel I used from then on until giving up the sport in 1986.

Having got back into it this season I've seen a few on Ebay and wondered how good they are really were, especially compared to what you can get now.

I'm covered for reels but have been toying with the idea of picking one up. More for nostalgia than anything.

Anyone still use one?

nicepix

Reaction score
A friend gave me a 440A Match a few years ago. He had owned it from new and other than missing the little sticker on the handler boss it was like new. I've used it regularly for long range float fishing and medium ledger / feeder fishing. It helped that I already owned a 300 that I bought new from paper round and Saturday job money when I was about 15 so I had a few spare spools laying around. A couple of months ago I bought another one off eBay. It was as described, 8/10 cosmetically and fully functional. If you can get over that greater resistance when winding and the 'Mitchell whine' as it has been called the reel will serve you well for many years.

Plus points for me are the finger dab auto-bail functon, the ultra-fast retrieve, excellent line on a wide spool lay so casting is good from it, and the availability of spools that you can change at the push of a button.

It will never be as smooth as the latest offerings from Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma, but they do last a long time in regular use.

This is number 1 reel:

And number 2 reel:

sampras43

Reaction score

Great reading and thanks for the link.

I may bite the bullet and pick one up for the odd bit of float or waggler fishing.

---------- Post added at 08:30 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

A friend gave me a 440A Match a few years ago. He had owned it from new and other than missing the little sticker on the handler boss it was like new. I've used it regularly for long range float fishing and medium ledger / feeder fishing. It helped that I already owned a 300 that I bought new from paper round and Saturday job money when I was about 15 so I had a few spare spools laying around. A couple of months ago I bought another one off eBay. It was as described, 8/10 cosmetically and fully functional. If you can get over that greater resistance when winding and the 'Mitchell whine' as it has been called the reel will serve you well for many years.

Plus points for me are the finger dab auto-bail functon, the ultra-fast retrieve, excellent line on a wide spool lay so casting is good from it, and the availability of spools that you can change at the push of a button.

It will never be as smooth as the latest offerings from Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma, but they do last a long time in regular use.

This is number 1 reel:

And number 2 reel:

Looking at those pics I could be back on the Ouse hunting for chub with my 12ft float road from Argos.

:)

aebitim

Reaction score
Could never get on with the match, used the 300 series for 20 years as they were the best available, the pxr and pxr power preston reels are my choice now.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I still use my ancient 440 and love it. It's not quite up to modern standards but, like an E-type Jaguar, it's beautiful and fun and different.

The occasional young lad comes over to ask what that light blue reel you're using is and walks away in amazement when told I've had it 30 odd years and it still catches fish.

Try it, I doubt very much you'll regret it.....:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd have given a testicle for one (Match or 300) as a kid in the eighties. By the time I could afford to buy one in the early nineties, I'd not have been happy to get one as a gift.

I'd concede that the finger dab mechanism hasn't been surpassed. However, It's no longer a feature I have any desire for. In every other aspect, a relatively inexpensive modern reel, from umpteen different manufacturers, beats a Mitchell hands down. However, it may well not last as long.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have never owned one but when they first came out in the mid 60s I think it was were they not black and called the ottermatic or is my memory not right.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Have never owned one but when they first came out in the mid 60s I think it was were they not black and called the ottermatic or is my memory not right.

I looked it up on Mitchell Collectors International and yes it was called the Otomatic it was the first fixed spool reel with a automatic bale-arm release and it was born in 1955. The first one that I see was in about 63 in a tackle shop that I supplied worms too. A very interesting site The most expensive Mitchell is the wedding cake casting reel one was sold a few year ago for nearly $10,000:eek:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I still have a black Mitchell Match that I bought in 1985. Still works very well and the finger dab bail is very useful when trotting. The main difference I notice is that it is significantly heavier than any of the modern reels I use.

terry m

Reaction score
I had a couple back in the day and absolutely loved them. They paired up with my B&W Mk IV G compound taper rods very well.

I have toyed with the idea of buying one, more for nostalgia than functionality. Whilst they were great back then, and they may be able to do a reasonable job now, I would be happier to use more modern offerings.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

If you'd have saved up another shilling you could have enjoyed the luxury of a Prince Regent.

Not sure that a Prince Regent (junk) or a Black Prince (Utter Junk) came anywhere near to a Mitchell reel?:rolleyes:

robtherake

Reaction score
I have a couple of 440As in regular use, bought when I was on a bit of a nostalgia trip. It's surprising how well they hold up against modern reels, as long as you don't mind the jerky clutch and lack of ball bearing smoothness.

The clutch can be much improved BTW, by substituting the drag washer for a carbon one.

flightliner

Reaction score
Sampras, if its a trip down memory lane just get one.
They still hold there own against most modern jobs, used mine today, lovely bit of kit.

redfin123

Reaction score
Sampras, if its a trip down memory lane just get one.:eek:mg:
They still hold there own against most modern jobs, used mine today, lovely bit of kit:eek::.
thats where these reels belong down memory lane, as for holding there own against modern reels its like saying a lada car is as good as a jaguar. :D