Council 'no fishing' notices

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
TodayI fished a local river for the first time.There was a Borough of Macclesfield 'no fishing' sign on the gate where you access the river.

My companion and I chose to ignore this, and fish anyway.

My reasoning is that it was common land, I'm causing no harm to anyone, I'm responsible, leave no litter etc etc. Equally, I'm growing tired ofgrowinglegislation, feel that I want to make some kind of stand against this.

Amember of the public walking her dog told me I shouldn't be fishing, and should leave. I politely explained that I wouldn't be doing this, and explained my reasons as above.

My question; Is it likely that the authority passed a local law tostop people fishing, or merely put a sign up? What kind ofdemocratic process has to take place before a new local law is passed? If I ignore the sign, what are the possible repercussions for me?

Cheers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As I understand it, you only have the right to fish if the landowner through which the river runs gives you permission so to do, if it is council land then they have the right to deny access to fishing. That is only what I understand and not a legal opinion.

Repercussions? Nothing drastic I wouldn't have thought unless you persist in trying to fish after being told you are not allowed to do so but it is a civil thing and not a criminal thing.

The Bollin?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cheers Graham, and good guess!!

I understand that owners of land can deny fishing rights. If you look at the purpose of a council though; it's there to serve the people, paid for by the people. It seems unreasonable to me toprevent people carrying out a legalsport; without good reason.

If I lived in the borough I'd take it up with the council directly.

W

Wolfman Woody

Get in contact with the council's recreation dept. and ask them why you are prevented from practising your sport (for which you purchased an EA Rod Licence) on Council owned land for the purposes of enjoyment of your chosen SPORT, FRESH AIR, AND RECREATION.

Remind them that it is the duty of local authorities to provide suitable facilities for ALL sports ragardless.

It doesn't matter that you don't live in the area, others do and they too are being denied.

L

Laurie Harper

You might also make a formal complaint to the council concerned. They are required by law to operate a complaints procedure. If, having exhausted the process, you are still unhappy, you can ask te Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) to investigate the council's conduct. A bit long winded, but the process is there so can be useful if you need it. Have a look at the LGO website - www.lgo.org.uk - for more info.