Flooded rivers

P

pointngo

with all the flooded grass hopefully the pike will have a good spawning year this year. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
My biggest concern is that last season seemed to be a fantastic year for successful spawning. Hopefully, what seemed to be exceptional numbers of fry won't all have been largely wiped out. The upside is that floods might actually be better than freezing temperatures in this respect. Here's hoping.

john step

Reaction score
my fear is that much of the last season fry will be killed?

Reaction score
Once the weather picks up the dredging will probably start on the network of rivers and drains in the south west, so hatching fry will be pretty irrelevant in that neck of the woods.

The bad one

Reaction score
Once the weather picks up the dredging will probably start on the network of rivers and drains in the south west, so hatching fry will be pretty irrelevant in that neck of the woods.

Ecological Disaster waiting to start Matt. And it won't just be the fish that suffer it will be all river life! :mad:

nicepix

Reaction score
It's really strange the difference between what we see on UK TV news and what our friends and relatives back in Yorkshire tell us about the floods and river levels and what we have out here. We've had rain virtually every day for over two weeks, some of it very heavy for prolonged periods. The round is saturated yet the rivers and streams are barely above normal levels. Granted they are heavily coloured. But I've been down to the Vienne today and it is less than 1 metre above summer level, and this is a river that is as long as the Severn and 80 to 100 metres wide.

There must be some lessons to be learned from how the French rivers are kept within their banks.