How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
10 turned up to the GUC at Marsworth Red lion. One went home without drawing and 9 fished. The wind was raging down the middle so I set up one topkit only. Due to the wind and tow I opted for a heavier rig than I would normally use. A 0.60gr diamond pattern dotted right down to a 22 to 0.07.
Cupped in a pot of roach 3000 and some sqatts mixed in and first bite was a skimmer. In the first hour I had 3 more and some gudgeon and perch. Stayed with single red maggot until the bites dried up. Had a few more gudgeon in the last 3 hours on pinkie but it really slowed down, as did the wind.
Came nowhere with 2lb 5.
Winner 8lb
Second 5lb 12.
Third 4lb 3.

How did you get on?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I stuck at it for a couple of hours , caught 3 small roach , I fished wagglers rod as the wind made holding a pole difficult (with my lack of pole skill)

The casting was a lotto with the wind gusting one minute and dropping next

The Runner

Reaction score
Evening Mr P...

Had no match this weekend so had a rare barbel session down the Colne. Was still rising until about 2pm and coming over the bank in quite a few places, with the downstream ten pegs competely inaccessible.
Had a good start to the day, the sequence of which, almost in real time , went...
Set up about 9 30
Put lobworm on size 8 with 2.5oz bomb
Cast just short of middle
Put rod in rest
Text mate to tell him that its come up 8 inches since yesterday when he walked it
Press send
Tip slams over...

Barbel around 5 -8 or so, didnt bother weighing it.

And that was it. Gave it another six hours in three different swims, one more sharp knock on a lobbie that came to nothing, but anyway, job done.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
1st time out this year. A few hours Piking.

Dry but cold and very windy.

One run, one fish, a very welcome 17-08.:)

On the board for 2014.

Stu

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I went this morning as it had less rain and wind about it. Fished from 07.30 ish until 1pm for three roach in perfect condition , but only 8" long or so. Also a solitary carp which must've become bored swimming about just below the surface as it took my flake on the drop..as did the roach.

Tried a minute amount of a Sensas groundbait, more for the scent than anything else, but hard to say if it was this that affected my sensational catch.

Will go tomorrow IF it doesn't rain, but pigs might fly eh?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Fished the same pond as I did last week. Had a wander round prior to fishing and saw absolutely no signs of fish in any of the few well accessible swims. I took to wading some of the flooded bits and trying to get through some of the overgrown bits. Still saw absolutely nothing. Despite feeling that I was on a hiding to nothing, as it was lovely and sunny I fished anyway. The weather was nice, the fishing resulted in nothing whatsoever beyond a few drowned maggots. Ah well, they needed using anyway.:D

neil1970

Reaction score
I fished the backwater today, 9.30 - 5.

My mate had a small roach and that was it.

I loved sitting there in the rain, which turned to hail and seeing the the main flow, creases and slacks almost mapped out on the surface of the water; quite a revelation to me.

I must have blanked about 9 or 10 times in a row now, discounting the odd surprise minnow on reeling in :eek:mg::D:eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
Fished for pike today, nothing for first three hours then an aborted run, very frustrating. Decided on a move and set up on downwind end of lake.AGain, nothing except some airborne numpty in a microlight deciding to "buzz" me and another angler to just about tree top level making several noisey passes.
Honest, We were both wishing he would fall out of his chair into the dam lake. Eeeedjit !!!!!

denzinho

Reaction score
You will have more luck fishing for people down here in the south west. It's awful on the somerset levels.