Is There Any Thing They Wont Eat?

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Well, is there?

Over the years Ive had problems eel fishing because the carp kept picking up my dead minnows.

I oncecaught a fish on fullers earth and washing up liquid paste made up to sink my line.

Ive watched trout come up by the bucket load on the Swale at Richmond for people throwing dog ends in off the bridge. Ive fed them chips myself.

Ive had a jack pike leap out of the water and nail my landing net handle as Ive been landing a skimmer a good foot or so away from the fish.

Ive caught an eel on floating crust.Ive also taken one on wobbled deadbait at least 15 feet off the bottom.

I just wondered what oddities you guys have had in your years of fishing.

Jamesy

Reaction score
I had a mirror at Packington on half a mini-cheddar, it was the only thing I had that floated.

Reaction score
When my lads were younger we spent holidays in France close to a smallish pond full of carp to c 5lb. We used to recycle left overs from meals in the pond - the fish used to boil as the leftovers were thrown in. So peas, baked beans, fish finger and, regularly successful, lengths of cooked spaghetti. One of the French residents used to regularly fish small live baits for pike...and equally regularly caught carp which had deliberately taken the livebait.

B

Bully

18lb carp while fishing off a punt in a lake. Was setting float to sit just over depth (lift method), no bait on, just hook with a swan 4 niches above the hook.

Float lifted then shot under. Perfect lip hooked fish!

peter Barton

Reaction score
last winter a barmy pal, who tries absolutely anything on our normally prolific carp fishery here on the Costa Blanca, got the only bites of the day ( and 3 fish ) amongst us on those cubic bits out of Branston Pickle ! If it had been a good free feeding day, where we will catch 20-30 small carp, I could understand this as they have been known to take carrot, apple, bacon, ham and mustard and anything else "out of the larder" but on a blank day ? A case of the free-thinker winning -- perhaps we should all be so unconventional

On this general theme how about another pal who caught an eel on a wet fly, hooked properly, from the Derbys. Derwent where it is very stony near to Matlock. Fish are truly alien beings!

B

Bully

"..pal who caught an eel on a wet fly, hooked properly"

So it swallowed the hook down to its arse then, like most eels I have caught!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
"Is there anything they won't eat" Well, if you listen to some 'expert' carp anglers, you have to use the 'going' bait on any particular water. Fail to do so; you won't catch anything; they say.

So if you're little brown ball has the wrongname on it you're stuffed. Clever fish, are Carp /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif)

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
God, your a cynical -astard Elwin,,,,,,,,,He,s right though. I always thought those bubbles were caused by feeding lol. Little did I know that all the time it was carp nattering to each other telling what to pick up and what not.Guess Im a cynical -astard too./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Caughtsmall trout on ice cream cone as a kid on holiday in the Lake District. Not the whole cone, I'd eaten most of it!

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
We used to catch stunted carp in a village pondon bubblegum as kids. In fact competition for food was so great between them that they'd literally snap up anything dropped into the water.

I also remember my late bro catching a rudd from a similar wateron a gold coloured hook while testing the shotting in the margin.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
A couple of years ago we had a gite on the banks of the Dordogne and after dinner it was a fight between the ducks and the carp, who got the leftovers, favourites were the heads and many legs from langoustines. The water was literally boiling with mainly carp and the only thing that was left was lettuce and cucumber, so Risque I recommend that to you to help you avoid carp & ducks. Don,t make the mistake of serving it on bread though!!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I once caught a lass from Bradford on a shovel full of b*llshit/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

Does that count?