Reviews

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
There used to be a lot of reviews on FM from regular users and not sponsored anglers, this gave an unbiased review as a sponsored angler if he can't say good about a product will naturally keep quiet ( I'm not knocking this I'd do the same - anyone want to sponsor me?)

Anyway here's a review

Drennan Flake punch
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drennan-Flake-Punches-Easy-6-multi-size-bread-punch-set-/140482736756

I suspect most of you have bread punches, I've had them in the past but never use the Drennan type. But having somehow misplaced half of mine I bought a set of Drennan ones from my local tackle shop a few weeks back.

The cost was around £5 (can't remember the actual cost), I've used them a couple of times now so this is an early review.
The punches produce a nice flake of bread that easily comes out of the punch by putting the hook in the slot provided for such, remaining in shape (I've found the round punches sometime difficult to get the bread out but as the punch handle is at 90% this seems to help)

The flake shape is more of a diamond than the traditional round shape.
Due to the poor weather I've not had much chance to try them but on the 2 occasions I've fished I've caught on bread using the punches

If you have a set of punches then I'd say these won't add to your fishing but if you need a new set then they are worth a try

barbelboi

Reaction score
I bought one last summer and think they’re really good, also saves checking to see if the flake is still on the hook – it is...........

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the one your on about is the green plastic one they are very good and have been out for many years cannot remember how long I have had mine many years I think. Not as long as my Lesney press though.

lambert1

Reaction score
I recently got a set and would be interested in which bread you think works best. Obviously you will all have your favourites but so far I have read people recommending Kingsmill, Hovis medium and thick sliced, Warburtons Blue medium, 50/50 of various makes and Sainsburys Long Life bread.
Thank you all in advance.

john step

Reaction score
Used them yesterday. Went to an easy venue to get plenty of bites after recent bad winds and rain.I sat in rare warm sunshine and I caught 17 carp to over 8lb on Tesco cheapest bread. That's what I call a bargain.:) Bread must be the most underated bait of all time.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've had a set of these for a while now, they're pretty good. The biggest pain is storing them. I keep them in a little ziplock bag to keep all the bits together.

As for the best bread, I don't have any particular preference. However, I have found the matchman's bread preparation (cut off crusts, quick blast in microwave then flatten) to be very useful. It seems to make hooking easier and the flake stays on better.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For bread I use a cheap supermarket brand,

Agree with bread being underrated I always take some bread when fishing

I thought most on FM might have used the Drennan flake punch but I thought it worth while in case any newbies are reading

dead peg

Reaction score
Cheers Lord Paul
Ive use the smaller Drennan punches 2.5-7mm , they can be a bit fiddly at first , especially with poor eyesight and sausage fingers .I hadn't heard of the flake punches until I recently seen Bob Roberts using them catching chub in the snow on this vid
Coarse And Match Fishing Monthly from Fishing TVFishing Videos, Angling Television, Fishing TV, Fishing Video Magazines
Ive always got a supply of cheap supermarket bread ready , liquidized for feed and use warburtons on the hook .I find it a bit more doughy and it stays on the hook better than the cheaper brands IMO

lambert1

Reaction score
Special thanks to Paul for starting the thread and thanks guys for your answers.:D:D

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We always welcome reviews from forum members, indeed we would love to see more.

If they are sent through to editor@fishingmagic.com we will edit as appropriate (and that does not mean alter the substance of what you have said!) and then add them, with any images and links, to the news and reviews pages.

The FM team

cg74

Reaction score
There used to be a lot of reviews on FM from regular users and not sponsored anglers, this gave an unbiased review as a sponsored angler if he can't say good about a product will naturally keep quiet ( I'm not knocking this I'd do the same - anyone want to sponsor me?)

Can you define exactly what you mean by a "sponsored angler"?

I must say this line is utterly ridiculous: "as a sponsored angler if he can't say good about a product will naturally keep quiet"

It reads like you want/need every comment possible on every product we use (so long as we aren't sponsored); I found 2 blunt hooks in a packet of size 14 Guru WGM hooks the other day...... Any wiser on the product?

I'd agree with the sentiment of disliking (of what I deem as a) "sponsored angler" relentlessly plugging a product he has a vested interest in. But what if he actually finds a product to be a good addition to his fishing. Like a pellet, say a halibut pellet; is he wrong to tell his findings, bearing in mind there's a vast number of similar products available and it'd undoubtedly be perfectly easy to find a cheaper generic version on the market. One that offered identical characteristics as the product he uses.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Good points cg74

I think what I'm trying to say is that ordinary anglers with no commercial interest in a product give an unbiased view

To take your example of 2 blunt hooks in a packet of 14 Guru hooks , what does that tell me , nothing. However if your review stated that on average ever packet of Guru 14 hooks you bought had 2 blunt ones in it then the review becomes relevant

A sponosred angler might use xxx halibut pellets and catch well with them, but he can't say if they are better than company yyy pellets

I hope that shows what I was trying to say

cg74

Reaction score
Good points cg74

I think what I'm trying to say is that ordinary anglers with no commercial interest in a product give an unbiased view

To take your example of 2 blunt hooks in a packet of 14 Guru hooks , what does that tell me , nothing. However if your review stated that on average ever packet of Guru 14 hooks you bought had 2 blunt ones in it then the review becomes relevant

A sponosred angler might use xxx halibut pellets and catch well with them, but he can't say if they are better than company yyy pellets

I hope that shows what I was trying to say

I get what you're saying about "ordinary anglers" and agree that having a "commercial interest in a product" can give a biased sway but you've not really answered; what is your definition of a sponsored angler?

If you were given a free packet of hooks to trial, would you be sponsored?
Would a kilo of free pellets qualify as being sponsored or 10, 20, 30kg of boilies?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I get what you're saying about "ordinary anglers" and agree that having a "commercial interest in a product" can give a biased sway but you've not really answered; what is your definition of a sponsored angler?

If you were given a free packet of hooks to trial, would you be sponsored?
Would a kilo of free pellets qualify as being sponsored or 10, 20, 30kg of boilies?

By sponsored anglers I am referring to those anglers who are sponsored by tackle or bait manufactures. I'm referring to those who earn money from companies by wearing clothing with a company logo on, write articles for angling press and work as tackle consultants.

These I feel are unable to say a product is poor

An angler sponsored by a local tackle shop in matches with some free bait I don't count

I've been given the odd freebie by my local tackle shop ,a spool of line when I bought a new reel, half a pint of casters once and some old maggots that were well past their best, I don't consider myself "sponsored"

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Paul, i really feel that there is no need to explain yourself. We all knew what you meant, anyone else is just Nit Picking IMO

Good review, never used those but i do use the Drennan Brass Head Bread Punches, they come in 2 different sizes - A SMALL set of 6 containing sizes from 2.5mm to 7mm and a LARGE set of 5 containing sizes from 7.5mm to 11mm.

I have used these quite a bit and find them to be very good indeed. The only Quibble i would have with them is, that the Velcro that seals the Green Pouch they come in has come away, the glue holding the velcro has given way.

That's fine though, i can live with that no problem.

The slit in the side of the brass head makes it easy to get the Bread Punch out and it sits nicely on the hook too.

cg74

Reaction score
By sponsored anglers I am referring to those anglers who are sponsored by tackle or bait manufactures. I'm referring to those who earn money from companies by wearing clothing with a company logo on, write articles for angling press and work as tackle consultants.

These I feel are unable to say a product is poor

An angler sponsored by a local tackle shop in matches with some free bait I don't count

I've been given the odd freebie by my local tackle shop ,a spool of line when I bought a new reel, half a pint of casters once and some old maggots that were well past their best, I don't consider myself "sponsored"

Thank you for your answer Paul, I agree that what you define as a sponsored angler and also agree that some might be compelled not to offer a negative opinion on products that they do not rate highly.

Worth bearing mind; there are very few anglers that actually fit that bill! Whereas the number of anglers with vested interest in a companies is huge, as potentially it includes; friends or relatives of a company's owner.
Vested interest covers a very broad spectrum....

Essentially what you're asking for is objectivity, which should be possible by all, though in reality is offered by very few....

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Paul, i really feel that there is no need to explain yourself. We all knew what you meant, anyone else is just Nit Picking IMO

Good review, never used those but i do use the Drennan Brass Head Bread Punches, they come in 2 different sizes - A SMALL set of 6 containing sizes from 2.5mm to 7mm and a LARGE set of 5 containing sizes from 7.5mm to 11mm.

I have used these quite a bit and find them to be very good indeed. The only Quibble i would have with them is, that the Velcro that seals the Green Pouch they come in has come away, the glue holding the velcro has given way.

That's fine though, i can live with that no problem.

The slit in the side of the brass head makes it easy to get the Bread Punch out and it sits nicely on the hook too.

So wanting the term "sponsored" quantified is nit picking, even though looking on this site shows many differing opinions as to what constitutes sponsorship???:confused:

Drennan Bread Punches:
I've been a proud owner of 2 sets for 15+ years. Both with green handles and come in a green pouch. I've found them to well made and fully fit for function.
The Velcro on mine looks stitched on and is not showing any signs of age.

If anyone wants mine, it's a fiver for one set or both for £8 (P&P included. :D

Last edited: