Let’s Not Unlearn the Lessons About Dredging

The Sogster

Reaction score
All valid points and understood by most on here I would think.

In my opinion we really need a high profile ecologist/ naturalist such as David Bellamy or David Attenborough to stand up and counter the call for dredging. The focus really needs shifting to highlight the ecological impact unregulated mass dredging would have.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I agree Sogster - perhaps that was the difference in the 80s when green issues seemed to be taken more seriously and there were stronger more popular characters in the green movement.

The Green MP is doing her bit, but most media just focusses on the battling dinosaurs around her, unfortunately.

Perhaps King Charles may have a positive influence, when or if he ever lands the role, aided by his special advisor Jonathan Porritt.

What i have noticed though is that Natural England/English Nature/NCC or whatever name they have this month have been totally absent from the debate so far. They really are a gutless bunch. Increased flooding of the Somerset Levels was probably part of their water level management aspirations for the nature reserves there, and they probably had a role convincing the EA to reduce dredging as far as possible - especially within the SSSI areas of the Levels. Not that flooding the area to a depth of 6ft for 6 weeks is anybodies interests though.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Very true CoTB, especially the final paragraph. They certainly have been conspicuous by there absence.
The green brigade should be our allies against the wholesale destruction of our river ecosystems.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I doubt anybody will have the balls to stand up and oppose the "perceived wisdom" of dredging. I bet there are plenty who doubt its efficency AND who are aware of the ecological damage it will cause but are keeping their thoughts to themselves to avoid the undoubted political back-lash.