Be AWARE OF WEILS DISEASE

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The other day the subject of Weils disease was mentioned. I went to one of my local tackle shops this morning and they were pushing the antiseptic hand jell in a big way. I asked why they were and they said have you not heard about one of the local anglers . He had got a dose of it at one of the local fisheries and was was in hospital in a bad way. They said he had got very jaundiced and ill over the last couple of weeks. This the first case that I have ever heard about locally so be AWARE of this disease and how it is picked up and what the symptoms are. Some one in the shop said you can be inoculated against the disease at a cost with your GP I do not know if this is true but it is worth checking out. I used to carry a risk card when I was doing a lot of netting work it is a blood test check to find out if you have the virus. Many GPs are not aware of this disease and the risk to anglers So if you get what are the symptoms get it checked out better safe than sorry. It can have long lasting effects on your long term health Plenty of information about this disease on line just Google WEILS Disease

terry m

Reaction score
I do not believe that you can be inoculated against this disease.

But, regardless of that, the key is about protecting open wounds - cuts and grazes - and avoiding allowing those wounds to be exposed to the river or lake water.

This is a serious issue and anglers that ignore this advice do so at their own peril. If left untreated Weils disease can kill. Even if it is caught early and treated, the infected person can suffer serious side effects for the rest of their life.

Reaction score
Always a timely reminder... always have antiseptic hand wash in all tackle bags. Got into the habit of ensuring I have that plus club card and licence before checking my gear.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do not believe that you can be inoculated against this disease.

But, regardless of that, the key is about protecting open wounds - cuts and grazes - and avoiding allowing those wounds to be exposed to the river or lake water.

This is a serious issue and anglers that ignore this advice do so at their own peril. If left untreated Weils disease can kill. Even if it is caught early and treated, the infected person can suffer serious side effects for the rest of their life.

Yes the inoculation thing is a new one on me. I am not to keen on the neddle but I will ask my GP the next time I see him.

mick b

Reaction score
With the high water levels all mammals have been forced onto higher ground and in the case of Rats into the trees alongside the water.

Hollow willow tree and half rotten stumps are providing safe and dry havens for Rats while the water levels are so high.

Fresh evidence of Rats will be freshly excavated soil or partially rotted wood near the base of any tree or stump, (rarely will it be a Mink. Rabbit or Otter).

Beware because they are not adverse to creeping around during the day.
I've even had one inside a freezer bag gnawing at a pike bait, and once caught one using a slice of bread laid ontop of my landing net.....just gave it a stroke and let it go didnt I :wh

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the high water levels all mammals have been forced onto higher ground and in the case of Rats into the trees alongside the water.

Hollow willow tree and half rotten stumps are providing safe and dry havens for Rats while the water levels are so high.

Fresh evidence of Rats will be freshly excavated soil or partially rotted wood near the base of any tree or stump, (rarely will it be a Mink. Rabbit or Otter).

Beware because they are not adverse to creeping around during the day.
I've even had one inside a freezer bag gnawing at a pike bait, and once caught one using a slice of bread laid ontop of my landing net.....just gave it a stroke and let it go didnt I :wh

We manage to keep them down on our club lake as one of the members has his own pest control business and we keep the feed boxes topped up but the amounts I see when I do nights on some other fisheries really brings home how many ar about at times . Someone said to me once that in London you are never more than six foot away from a rat you may not see them but they are there.

barbelboi

Reaction score
We manage to keep them down on our club lake as one of the members has his own pest control business and we keep the feed boxes topped up but the amounts I see when I do nights on some other fisheries really brings home how many ar about at times . Someone said to me once that in London you are never more than six foot away from a rat you may not see them but they are there.

Most of them are beneath you, in the sewers.........

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Googled.......

"Therefore people working in water that is populated by rats are at risk. There are many strains within the leptospira genus and effective immunisation would require a vaccine that contains all the strains that are prevalent in a particular geographic region. The implication of this is that it would not be possible to produce a universal vaccine that would be effective in all countries. In effect each region would have to produce a vaccine appropriate to the strains that are prevalent in that region. To the best of my knowledge there is no such human vaccine available".

bullet

Reaction score

According to Chris Packham, the six foot away thing is a myth.That's not to say there aren't a lot of them around....just not that many.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Always good to raise this subject. I just wish the number of 'views' was in the hundreds..........

C

chefster

Last week there was a wonderful thread about what a brilliant idea it was to have a sponge on a bit of string ,so that you could wash you,re hands in lake/river water ,without getting off you,re seat-I thought at the time-why would anyone want to do that:eek::eek::eek:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Weils is a nasty, nay killer disease. My best mate contracted it but very luckily pulled through. It's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

It's not just Weils though after these floods there's all sorts of stuff flowing, pumped or otherwise, into the waterways which will still be there long after the floods have subsided.

daji

Reaction score
Do these antiseptic hand gels have any scent that could reduce your catch rate? Not that i would put that above my own health.

barbelboi

Reaction score

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last week there was a wonderful thread about what a brilliant idea it was to have a sponge on a bit of string ,so that you could wash you,re hands in lake/river water ,without getting off you,re seat-I thought at the time-why would anyone want to do that:eek::eek::eek:

All I can say is it has never done myself any harm Being AWARE OF THE DANGERS is the most important thing so that if something does go amiss you have some idea what to check for ignorance of the facts is always dangerous.:)