New spliced tip

robbush

Reaction score
Hi,can anyone give me a rough idea how much it would cost to have a new spliced tip fitted to a rod,cheers

aebitim

Reaction score
Seems to be a lost art these days, looked in depth at trying to fit a spliced tip into a busted section of a matchpro ultralight and got nowhere. Any clues on the rod and the problem?

robbush

Reaction score
Hi mate,the rod is a daiwa Tom Pickering conny,the tip has broken down to the next eye

barbelboi

Reaction score
Here's a paste of a reply I made to a thread a couple of years ago...........

I repaired a broken splice many years ago by cutting the blank back past the broken splice – buying a new section to splice in (they sold them then, don’t know if they still do).

Offer the new section inside the blank and pull it through.
Mark where it joins – then pull it back out.
Cut it a couple of inches longer than the mark then feed it back through.
All that is left then is to whip it and stick some eyes on.

ravey

Reaction score
Is it a spliced-tip rod (Daiwa TDCM13S as opposed to TDCM13W)? I ask because if you are looking to put in a full length spice (18" or so), you may be able to get a tackle shop to do it for you. You may also save a bit of money by whipping the rings back on yourself.

If it is just a short section of the tip that you have broken off, then you may be able to 'bridge' the two sections (assuming you have the broken bit) by using a section of ferrule off a tip eye (5mm-8mm long). I snapped off the tip off my Daiwa Amorphous waggler rod, and this method has been a very satisfactory repair, for the price of a tip eye and a little time. I have also used the method as a precaution on my whip to strengthen a potential weak spot between a 'combination' tip section comprising solid and hollow components.

robbush

Reaction score
It's a tdcm13s, so would take a full end,it has list 4 nick off the top,just down to the next eye,I haven't got the broken bit,I just wanted an idea of price to get it sorted,cheers

john step

Reaction score
I don't know about model numbers etc but I have repaired a Daiwa tip on a float rod I broke after only 3 trips out.
I used the tip of a defunct carbon whip and pulled it through and used the original rings. Good as new.
It may be cheaper to buy a whip specially just to use it for this. Daiwa quoted a price that was almost as much as the complete rod for just the tip!!