If-------

flightliner

Reaction score
there was a time and place in the past that you could go back to as an angler, when and where would you choose ?:confused:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The early sixties The reason I was just about getting my act together and catching on a more regular basis and I had a few bob in my pocket. So I could be a bit more adventurous and travel further afield I started fishing in 57.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
1970 to 1972

I was lucky to fish a private small pond , didn't hold anything special ,small roach and tench the odd bream to 3lb

But it's where I learnt to fish so will always hold a place in my heart

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's quite a few.

A local beck in the early to mid-eighties. Had some big grayling back then and never even bothered with weighing or photographing them.:eek:mg:

Tring/Wilstone/Sywell Reservoirs in the eighties when they seemed to produce hordes of huge tench on a regular basis.

Redmire Pool, anytime in its heyday.

A small local club pond in the early eighties that had at least a couple of thirty pound carp in it. It's now a fairly modest commercial that's been sanitised beyond recognition and the big fish are long gone.

I dare say that there are plenty of others that I'd be tempted by.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The 60,s on the Essex Roding on the Collier Row stretch. I didn't appreciate how good the chub fishing was. The innocence of youth.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 60,s on the Essex Roding on the Collier Row stretch. I didn't appreciate how good the chub fishing was. The innocence of youth.

The WHITE BEAR good perch as well. It is some ones house these days no longer a pub. The Chub fishing is still good if you know how to fish the Roding a lot bigger than the used to be but not as many.

Reaction score
Early 1970's - Witches Wood nr Teston in Kent, the Medway at Barming and East Farleigh and Mote Park,Maidstone. Where I learned my fishing.....

and if you could .... add to that...the Kent Stour just downstream of Canterbury, below the speedway track,.....and those big, big dace. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
From places I actually fished at the time.

Flowing - The Loddon and Kennet in the 60’s and 70’s – loads of big roach.

Still – Billing, in the late 50’s/’60's, the same strain of carp as Redmire (stocked approximately the same time, 1930’ish but more of them to over 40lbs in the 60’s) and you could actually fish there (on a day/night ticket) without being a member of the CC club...........

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Brandon pits with my dear departed father.
He never achieved his ambition of catching a tench - of any size.
But many happy hours were spent there trying.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From places I actually fished at the time.

Flowing - The Loddon and Kennet in the 60’s and 70’s – loads of big roach.

Still – Billing, in the late 50’s/’60's, the same strain of carp as Redmire (stocked approximately the same time, 1930’ish but more of them to over 40lbs in the 60’s) and you could actually fish there (on a day/night ticket) without being a member of the CC club...........

Some of my friends fished it in the 60/70s it had a reputation as a very hard water from what they said to me about it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Some of my friends fished it in the 60/70s it had a reputation as a very hard water from what they said to me about it.

Apart from the normal gin clear gravel pit water, pond weed, lowish stocking, all fun of the fair, a scale train going around the perimeter, a swimming section, boats and Buddy Holly music blasted out the speakers it was a doddle;)

Seriously I don't believe that 'all the fun of the fair' was too much of a problem, there was plenty of space for everyone. It was, as I mentioned above, a gin clear gravel pit that often had a lot of weed - i.e., as now, you had to work for your fish (you weren't going to catch every session but when you caught they were often 20lb plus) and many used to give up. It was usually the same faces that you saw long term and, of course, the added bonus of a night ticket was introduced around 1960.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apart from the normal gin clear gravel pit water, pond weed, lowish stocking, all fun of the fair, a scale train going around the perimeter, a swimming section, boats and Buddy Holly music blasted out the speakers it was a doddle;)

Seriously I don't believe that 'all the fun of the fair' was too much of a problem, there was plenty of space for everyone. It was, as I mentioned above, a gin clear gravel pit that often had a lot of weed - i.e., as now, you had to work for your fish (you weren't going to catch every session but when you caught they were often 20lb plus) and many used to give up. It was usually the same faces that you saw long term and, of course, the added bonus of a night ticket was introduced around 1960.

The friends of mine who fished it were mainly BCSG members when they held there AGMs there. There is a photo of one of them Brian Gull fishing it in kevin Cliffords second book. Although Kevin Had meet Brian when writing his first book he did not realise it was him till I told him. Unfortunately BG as he was known died in 94. He was the only one who had a camo tank suite he painted it himself as you will see in the photo. I can remember him telling me about the train and the boats. I cannot remember if he ever caught there I will have to ask the others that are still with us.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Fishing at Hampton Wick Pond in Home Park near Hampton Court for Tench, before fishing was prohibited there in the early 1980s. Actaully missed an O Level exam to fish it on opening day one year (i had made the decision some weeks beforehand, so didnt revise for it).

Fishing a club match at Witley Park. Most incredible place i have fished for crucians or anything else for that matter.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Why we fished Billing tiik was that the were no large carp in the Colne Valley pits then. Savay was probably the first stocked, around 1950 I believe, but they were obviously small in the early days and rarely caught. In fact Savay was two pits until the late 50's and I still bump into one of the guys that dug it - well into his 80's now.

john step

Reaction score
The WHITE BEAR good perch as well. It is some ones house these days no longer a pub. The Chub fishing is still good if you know how to fish the Roding a lot bigger than the used to be but not as many.
Tinker, yes I still drive past there when I visit my parents. We camped in a farmers field near there. I don't think many 11 year olds would be allowed out camping on their own nowadays especially as we didn't know where we would be pitching up until we got off the bus and asked permission.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tinker, yes I still drive past there when I visit my parents. We camped in a farmers field near there. I don't think many 11 year olds would be allowed out camping on their own nowadays especially as we didn't know where we would be pitching up until we got off the bus and asked permission.

Another world another time.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Why we fished Billing tiik was that the were no large carp in the Colne Valley pits then. Savay was probably the first stocked, around 1950 I believe, but they were obviously small in the early days and rarely caught. In fact Savay was two pits until the late 50's and I still bump into one of the guys that dug it - well into his 80's now.

Again some of my friends were members Long Andy Dennis Wilkins who was a close friend of the two fellas that drowned in the boat accident. I visited a couple of times with Dennis I am not sure if Bernie Eary another close friend of Dennis Wilkins was a member. I remember the first time I was told about the Savay rule book. The RULES what ever Peter says:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another world another time.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Again some of my friends were members Long Andy Dennis Wilkins who was a close friend of the two fellas that drowned in the boat accident. I visited a couple of times with Dennis I am not sure if Bernie Eary another close friend of Dennis Wilkins was a member. I remember the first time I was told about the Savay rule book. The RULES what ever Peter says:)

PM on the way..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Trips, in the late 50's' early 60's to the Hants Avon, mainly Ringwood and Ibsley, starting out at midnight in a Dormobile loaded to the gunnels with fisherman, tackle and gallons of maggots in search of big roach.
We had to leave at such a time (no motorways in those days) to arrive at daybreak. Fished until we could hardly keep awake late in the afternoon then home, many times spending hours in the traffic of the day.....

A time of friendships formed like no other in your life. Brothers in every sense of the word....

Other than that I suppose the time I spent (alone) after the very big tench of Dinton Pastures near Reading Berks for several years. The planning, failures mixed with occasional success and almost losing my job because of the hours spent fishing BEFORE going to work!
Regardless of what I caught, I never once flagged in my resolve to catch those fish and in many ways that determination has stood me in good stead ever since.....

Wonderful times and great memories................

Nice Thread............

Oh, and Finsbury Park lake and the New River, North London where I started my fishing life

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Heigham Sound and other prolific parts of the Broads in their piking heydays.

Closer to home, back to my youth fishing the 5 rivers that converge at Salisbury, specifically the Nadder which produced some wonderful fish with little effort, especially some clonking grayling.

mick b

Reaction score
So many......

Wilstone in the late '50's with Charlie Double telling us how to catch the big Roach......for our tea.

Tiddenfoot in the '60's and watching Frosty haul in the big carp.

Upper Ouse just below Walker's Pitch, catching fantastic Perch and Chub on live Minnows.

Aylesbury Arm above the Red House pub, huge bags of lovely Roach on stewed wheat and a ginger beer and lime to round off the day:D

Of such things dreams are made.....