How big is the biggest worm you have ever seen?

laguna

Reaction score
Walking the dog tonight in the filthy rain and saw what must be the biggest worm ever! :eek:

I will try and get a picture when it come back out of its burrow, maybe lay a familiar object like a 10p coin next to it or find a ruler?

18" is my guess and thats with its arse end still in the hole!

daji

Reaction score
Could make a great little challenge to find the biggest :cool:

However competitive i am there is no chance of me venturing outside right now :w

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was digging my garden last year and as I turned a particularly big sod of earth I noticed the head of a lobworm poking out from the soil.
I grabbed it and must have pulled at least a foot of it from its burrow before it turned nasty.
Suddenly it was around my throat, before I knew it the rest of it's body came out of it's hole extremely rapidly and I was suffocating in agony.
Luckily my next door neighbour, a female mud wrestler heard my muffled cries and vaulted over the garden fence and started chopping at it's body with her secateurs.
The resulting pile of chopped worm lasted me 12 matches, all of which I won .

Innit....

lambert1

Reaction score
Worms must be one of the biggest natural casualties of this weather as there are dead ones all over the pavements and in the gutters where I live and obviously they are providing food to fish and fowl at the moment in the flooded fields. Presumably this will not affect their numbers too much, but the longer it goes on the more will be lost. My knowledge of worm reproduction is limited to say the least, but as they are food to so many creatures I do wonder if it will have an effect or not.

daji

Reaction score
I was digging my garden last year and as I turned a particularly big sod of earth I noticed the head of a lobworm poking out from the soil.
I grabbed it and must have pulled at least a foot of it from its burrow before it turned nasty.
Suddenly it was around my throat, before I knew it the rest of it's body came out of it's hole extremely rapidly and I was suffocating in agony.
Luckily my next door neighbour, a female mud wrestler heard my muffled cries and vaulted over the garden fence and started chopping at it's body with her secateurs.
The resulting pile of chopped worm lasted me 12 matches, all of which I won .

Innit....

Hahaha funny stuff!! i nearly spat out my tea :D:D:D

laguna

Reaction score
Worms must be one of the biggest natural casualties of this weather as there are dead ones all over the pavements and in the gutters where I live and obviously they are providing food to fish and fowl at the moment in the flooded fields. Presumably this will not affect their numbers too much, but the longer it goes on the more will be lost. My knowledge of worm reproduction is limited to say the least, but as they are food to so many creatures I do wonder if it will have an effect or not.
Good point. Obviously even with areas that arnt flooded the ground is saturated so inevitably they will be forced out of their burrows. I have noticed that the food left in the garden for the birds hasnt always been eaten the same day maybe they are gorging themselves on worms? When all the worms are eaten maybe their eggs will survive and we will see many more very small worms this coming summer and few big lobs? Anyway, he's due for another walk so Ill get me camera...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Maybe this is why every flooded field near me has 5000 seagulls on it ?

And despite the weather I have robins & pigeons nest building in the garden. Quite how much nest will be left by tomorrow morning is another matter. Not very much methinks.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have always collected my own worms and supplied tackle shops for 20 years. I have had plenty around the 15 inch mark mainly areas of heavy clay. the very biggest I have seen and not snitched have been along wall in back alleyways where they live for years undisturbed. The biggest lobs I would sell as salmon lobs at a premium price. An 18 inch lob is more than possible it all depends on the conditions it lives in.

mick b

Reaction score
The biggest worm Ive ever seen is a certain member of the present Government.

Slimy bu**er creeps around doing little and trying to claim credit for everything that goes right and nothing that goes wrong!

:eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The biggest worm Ive ever seen is a certain member of the present Government.

Slimy bu**er creeps around doing little and trying to claim credit for everything that goes right and nothing that goes wrong!

:eek:mg:

You could say the house of commons and the lords are two very big compost heaps full of worms.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Maybe it's time to start a bait company importing some of these:

The largest of the segmented worms (commonly called earthworms) is the African giant earthworm (Microchaetus rappi). Although it averages about 1.36 m (4.5 ft) in length, this huge worm can reach a length of as much as 6.7 m (22 ft) and can weigh over 1.5 kg (3.3 lb). Only the giant Gippsland earthworm, Megascolides australis, and a few giant polychaetes reach nearly comparable sizes, reaching 4 m (13 ft) and 3.6 m (11.9 ft), respectively.[2]

(taken from wikipedia)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Nice post, it's reminded me to get the missus to sew up the split seam in these pajamas.

I used to buy tubs of worms labeled as Canadian Night Crawlers, Like small pythons they were. They made a great free-lining bait cast upstream and twitched back. Downside was they were very expensive as there were only about half a dozen per pot.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the ghillies on the South Esk at Cortachy Dave Chalmers may he rest in peace asked me to bring him up some salmon lobs so I did we meet him on the beat called the meetings and I gave him the lobs. I said to him these are not any old lobs Dave these are Essex lobs and t0ssed the one I had in my hand in the edge of the river it floated head up. The look on his astounded face was a picture. He looked at me and said I know where I am going with those early morning. He was going to trot them under the trees overhanging the shallows on another beat down stream. The next morning he came to see me before I packed up after a night sea trout fishing and said those bloody worms will not float for me. I smiled and pulled a syringe and needle out of my bag and said I forgot to tell you will need one of these to make them float:) he was a great fella.

mick b

Reaction score
One of the ghillies on the South Esk at Cortachy Dave Chalmers may he rest in peace asked me to bring him up some salmon lobs so I did we meet him on the beat called the meetings and I gave him the lobs. I said to him these are not any old lobs Dave these are Essex lobs and t0ssed the one I had in my hand in the edge of the river it floated head up. The look on his astounded face was a picture. He looked at me and said I know where I am going with those early morning. He was going to trot them under the trees overhanging the shallows on another beat down stream. The next morning he came to see me before I packed up after a night sea trout fishing and said those bloody worms will not float for me. I smiled and pulled a syringe and needle out of my bag and said I forgot to tell you will need one of these to make them float:) he was a great fella.

Cannot beat an air injection to get that wise old Chub to bite.....when you could buy a decent syringe in the corner shop chemists eh??

Those were the days:D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Wife says it's a brandling.

Ray...I sincerely hope for both your sakes she is mistaken !

Brandling Characteristics

The whole body is stripy on its upper surface
The upper surface has dark red bands, with a narrower pale pink or yellowish band in between
Saddle usually a similar colour to the rest of the body
Can exude an unpleasant-smelling yellowish fluid when handled

:eek:

daji

Reaction score
Anyway, he's due for another walk so Ill get me camera...

hmm still waiting for the picture. Either you have gone for a very very long walk (poor dog) or something along the lines of Peter Crabtree's experience has occurred (minus the 12 match wins) :D :eek: