Flooding effect on fish movement

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've just come back from visiting my daughter at uni

As we drove over the river Ouse I noticed a small lake right next to the river and I was thinking after seeing the rivers burst their bank on Tight Lines how many ponds and lakes will lose or gain fish

I'm guessing that the fish will shelter in lakes if the river floods them and may not get back one the waters subside

mick b

Reaction score
Im sure your right, I just hope some of the foreign species don't manage to get into my fav waters.

Certainly I think there will be a change of populations almost everywhere, I just hope some nice Roach decide to relocate in my fav fisheries.:D

peterjg

Reaction score
When there is a flood do the fish instinctively move upstream or downstream - I'm thinking of the Kennet in particular where there are sheltered lock cuttings?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
This a great thread idea. I can't contribute much as I just don't know but I hope other can enlighten us.
My bit of river floods regularly, several times a year, filling the old water-courses which are normally dry. One would expect fish to get stranded in these backwaters but I've never yet found one fish in them when the water recedes.

mick b

Reaction score
When there is a flood do the fish instinctively move upstream or downstream - I'm thinking of the Kennet in particular where there are sheltered lock cuttings?

The general consensus between fishery managers is that fish drop downstream if they cannot get up a suitable side stream or ditch.

I recently returned a nice fish well upstream from my swim only to see it turn away from the flow and zoom of downstream.......:eek:mg:

Also watched some cormorants feeding :eek: in an eddy on the Test and they wouldn't have been there if fish were absent.

mick b

Reaction score
Once the flood water start to drop we should all be on the look out for any fish stranded in fields and contact the EA if we see any

You go and look my Lord, and if you find any take a few photographs for us to see.

In all my time managing various waters I never found one single fish in a field.

:eek:mg:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Ah! Soles...

Well thats put me in my Plaice :)

In the 2000 floods round here, Snaith Gowdall, Carlton, Howden. Oaklands fishery at Gowdall lost most of their stock, several people later reported seeing fish in the surrounding area fields.

Once things have 'calmed' down, would the fish then leave ponds and lakes 'still flooded' looking for food?. Just think of the abundance of food available.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wonder if all the goldfish, shubunkins and koi that have been "liberated" from garden ponds are going to survive and turn up in keepnets?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Off I digress again.............

A commercial nearby is full of Koi, fished it once and did'nt enjoy it one iota, it was like catching family pets........

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Off I digress again.............

A commercial nearby is full of Koi, fished it once and did'nt enjoy it one iota, it was like catching family pets........

Agreed, Merv. I have had Koi, goldfish and brown goldfish and I just don't like catching them.