post flood fishing

xenon

Reaction score
when these floods eventually abate, how likely is it that we could be on for a bonanza?
Reason for thinking this is that they have had weeks of this therefore-

1)the fish will have to use more energy to combat the flow,

2) somewhat off the feed since they are in a suspension of silt and general chocolate muck, so they should be ravenous just in time for the end of the season.

Does this sound feasible or deluded?

redfin123

Reaction score
when these floods eventually abate, how likely is it that we could be on for a bonanza?

2) somewhat off the feed since they are in a suspension of silt and general chocolate muck, so they should be ravenous just in time for the end of the season.

very feasible mate but will the floods have subsided enough before the end of the river season, i hope so but we/ve only got 29 days left. I think it will be still waters .:(

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
You are assuming that that floods abate by 14th March:)

Just be nice to get out. Feasible I hope, deluded I fear.

Stu

mick b

Reaction score
Hereabouts the floodwater is clear (ish) not murky or silty, all thats floating along is small bits of weed and twigs.

On the bottom its as bare as a Badgers...........and that will be the problem because everything has changed, banks have been undercut and caved-in, others still remain hanging, boulders and waterlogged branches have been moved around or washed away and holes in the bottom have been scoured out or infilled.

Fish are still present....in a few places, but the consensus is that they are not the fish that were resident before the floods.

I reckon we will not really know what we have been left with until September onwards.

As for the Duffers Fortnight, I just hope I see a Mayfly...:eek:mg:

floatfish

Reaction score
How many fish will have been lost in the floods as Rivers came into fields etc,
plus how many will be left behind for the Sea Gulls etc when the Rivers
recede. ?

mick b

Reaction score
Its quite amazing how, when the water starts to recede, the fish follow it.
Ive seen it many many times and the only casualty Ive ever seen was a pike around 15lb got left behind in a low lying area beheath an old tree.

Of course its a different matter if fish find a pond or lake, which is how such places near rivers sometimes receive a seeding of Chub with Carp going the other way into the rivers.

What happens to the fish fry is anyones guess..:confused:

theartist

Reaction score

Without doubt yes, i've been filling my boots on rivers i know during the floods and the fish have been going mental with the extra water and warm weather, not sure if i can recall a better winter for fishing as hard as that is to believe but i'm lucky to know of a handful of rivers that fish well when high.

The fish are a bit on the lean side though and i'd be surprised if any records came out in March but thats not a bad thing i reckon. They will be hungry.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Reading the Saturday Telegraph newspaper yesterday and I noted a story (on page 2) which should warm every anglers heart and perhaps see the EA in a slightly different light for those who knock the organisation at every opportunity (!!)

' Dozens of fish were rescued from Worcester Racecourse after the recent floods, including pike, by EA staff on Friday. Roach, perch and bream to 10lbs were also returned (to the River Severn)'

The article also caries a photo of said operation for those doubters among us! (perish the thought!)

Some of the local anglers missed a trick eh??

mick b

Reaction score
Well done the EA.

There was a piece in the Telegraph about a lad watching fish swim through bis flooded house, in the back and out the front...:eek:mg:

:D