Another New Nikon

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Just received a mail from Warehouse express of a deal on the new Nikon D90.
Where will it all end I'm overdosing on the D numbers!!

DZ

Reaction score
The new D90 incorporates an optional feature called Universal Vibration Reduction (uVR). This turns all lenses into uVR lenses, and offers a 10-stop advantage.

This means a person using a 500mm lens, who would normally have to shoot at 1/500th of a second, can shoot at 2 seconds when uVR is enabled.

The new uVR system isn't sensor based, and instead requires one of the three optional vertical battery grips (see below). In this case, the MB-D90a is required. This grip provides all the normal controls and extended battery life of a regular grip. It also holds 8 EN-EL4a batteries, along with a step-up transformer.

With uVR enabled, the combined power of the batteries sends a current through the step-up transformer. This then delivers a 110 volt shock through metal pads around the grip. The resulting electrical shock matches the shutter speed (maximum of 10 seconds).

The shock causes a very stable clenching of the photographer's muscles while the shutter is open, simulating the stability of a tripod.

Nikon advise that people with rubber-soled shoes, heart problems or pacemakers shouldn't use uVR.

The uVR facility can also be controlled remotely by Nikon Support, via the new Nikon satellite network outlined below. This ensures Nikon Support can intentionally punish users who complain about how the new D90 is missing a particular feature they expected to see.

For example, the D80 didn't feature a military-grade titanium shell with platinum casing, and some people felt this was unforgivable in a camera that costs $800. Nikon Support will now be able to give those people exactly what they deserve.

d90.jpg

steve B

Reaction score
Dougal, just back from the pub, not sure if your post is serious or a p*ss take.

I'll read it again tomorrow.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh damn, I was halfway to filling in my order as well/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Colin Brett

Reaction score
The Monk has sold all his rubber soled shoes and had his pacemaker removed!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

DZ

Reaction score
While the D80 was pretty responsive, your reactions aren't. By the time you've realized you should have pressed the shutter, the moment is lost forever.

The D90 solves this problem thanks to Nikon's new MindProbe technology. MindProbe scans your brain, looking for those tell-tale low amplitude beta waves that signal an imminent shutter-press. By the time your neurons react, and you actually press the shutter, the D90 has already captured 3 images (or 6 in GTI mode).

That's right folks, for the first time in the history of photography, the shutter delay is actually measured in negative time. Now that's progress.

My Nikon contact tells me their R&D people are now working on a system that eliminates the photographer altogether. Nikon's customer research has discovered that when a photographer takes a great image, they claim all the credit. But when a photographer takes a bad image, they blame the camera.

By eliminating the photographer, Nikon plan to eliminate lousy photos altogether.