Reduce Flooding by Managing Land, Not Rivers

The bad one

Reaction score
I welcome and applaud the ATr for saying this, but what they are saying is not new. Professor in Physical Geography @ Newcastle on Tyne University Malcom Newson was saying all of this and more in his book Land, Water and Development (River Basin Systems and their sustainable Management) back in 1992. That's 22 years ago! Much of his work and thoughts were encompassed in the reports the EA and others, including ATr used and are using now.
Perhaps the ATr should send copies of it to the PM and Sec of State the useless Patterson?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

The preface opens with this quote from a local, "It stands to reason, we've only had these quick, high floods since the foresters ploughed through those hill up there!"
It needs no more explanation than that! It really is that simple and supports full what Monbiot has being saying about reforesting the uplands.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The trouble is if the man was not listened to twenty years ago who is going to take notice today. If it does not suit governments intentions they will poo poo it or just ignore it. with an election around the corner they will go for the quick fix, dredging even though every drainage expert in the country is telling them that it is not the answer.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The trouble is if the man was not listened to twenty years ago who is going to take notice today. If it does not suit governments intentions they will poo poo it or just ignore it. with an election around the corner they will go for the quick fix, dredging even though every drainage expert in the country is telling them that it is not the answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optimism and giving credit where it is due is as rare as hens teeth on this forum at times.

Have you changed your mind since you posted this after 2 posts saying virtually the same thing?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optimism and giving credit where it is due is as rare as hens teeth on this forum at times.

Have you changed your mind since you posted this after 2 posts saying virtually the same thing?

Have you no mind of your own. Are you optimistic where politician are concerned and do you have to follow me like a pet poodle.

chav professor

Reaction score
I had good reason to write an email this week on this very topic:

Dear Sir Madam,

I just wanted to applaud the work that took place on Flood plain meadow behind Rushbrooks Mill in Bramford. The system of wetlands and clearance of an old river course lower down stream has opened up prime habitat for wetland birds. I believe this work was in part carried out on Lord Blakenham’s land. He is a gentleman I have had the pleasure of meeting several times…. Mostly when I have a rod in hand.

With the obvious issues of flooding and decades of inappropriate development on flood plains - the cost to the environment and economy is clear to see. It is a fear that knee jerk reactions such as those proposed in government include the most damaging of all - dredging rivers.

This is a common observation and is not backed up with scientific data, but I thought it worthy of note that flooding in the Gipping valley area seems to be significantly less apparent than I remember prior to this work taking place… In deed the river seems to run off far faster after the wetland has been implemented.

Its seems such a shame that a damaging procedure such as dredging could be reinstated - even in the light of very clear scientific data that it is ineffectual. Which is why the Environmental Agency stopped the practice in the first place. Its a shame that this decision has been viewed as ‘doing nothing to help’.

Have there been any studies into whether improving flood plains with projects such as instating reeded wetlands reduces the impact on flooding?

I am well aware of the cost involved in reversing the damage caused by decades of dredging as I have friends involved in the Norfolk Angling Conservation Association (NACA).

I have grown up on the Gipping river and feel a sense of guardianship over this terrific little river and the wonderful creatures that inhabit this environment… I think its a good little model.. people keeping an eye out for their ‘local patch’. It just pays to keep an eye on things as I am aware that there have been calls for the River Gipping to be desilted (dredged) by less well informed residents in the area.

Its great to see environments improved as opposed to being degraded! Keep up the good work…. As I see it, the benefits are wide reaching.

Kind regards

Christian Barker

....... Look after your little patches fellas!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Have you no mind of your own. Are you optimistic where politician are concerned and do you have to follow me like a pet poodle.

In one post you criticise other for having no faith in politicians and then you post criticising politicians, MAKE YOUR MIND UP, it shouldn't be difficult or take long.

As you can see from my avatar I ONLY like Bull Terriers, you are not one, more like a snappy little lap dog used to getting its own way.

In future TRY to come up with something I haven't used before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, the government made a bad decision 20 years ago when it decided not to invest in UK giant sponge farms: Giant farms growing giant sponges.

Things would be so much different down south now if they had.

If we had a shed load of giant sponges available then at the earliest signs of a flood the giant sponges could be deployed to soak up all the water.

Sadly, no one ever saw the need, but how different things could have been.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Well, the government made a bad decision 20 years ago when it decided not to invest in UK giant sponge farms: Giant farms growing giant sponges.

Things would be so much different down south now if they had.

If we had a shed load of giant sponges available then at the earliest signs of a flood the giant sponges could be deployed to soak up all the water.

Sadly, no one ever saw the need, but how different things could have been.

Wasn't that plan full of holes ?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you two teamed up it would be like the two old geezers heckling in the muppet show :)

If we teamed up it would be a miracle.:D

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

In one post you criticise other for having no faith in politicians and then you post criticising politicians, MAKE YOUR MIND UP, it shouldn't be difficult or take long.

As you can see from my avatar I ONLY like Bull Terriers, you are not one, more like a snappy little lap dog used to getting its own way.

In future TRY to come up with something I haven't used before.[
It is very hard to be original with you it is a very narrow spectrum.

richiekelly

Reaction score
If we teamed up it would be a miracle.:D

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

In future TRY to come up with something I haven't used before.[
It is very hard to be original with you it is a very narrow spectrum.

That's about as mixed up as I have ever seen, ,mmmmmmmmmmmm

daji

Reaction score
If you two teamed up it would be like the two old geezers heckling in the muppet show :)

Hahahahha!! totally agree with this. I like to think that if you two opinionated old buggers fished the same venues you would actually be great friends. :D

richiekelly

Reaction score
Hahahahha!! totally agree with this. I like to think that if you two opinionated old buggers fished the same venues you would actually be great friends. :D

Sorry you are totally wrong, he wouldn't be able to fish where I fish, he's caught b****r all anyway.

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you cannot post comments with direct reference to the topic then please either refrain from posting or use the members' board or the PM system. Thank you.