new tackle shop in Preston area!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
Just found a website for a new tackle shop in Lostock hall near preston lancs and judging by the products they have for sale and the way the site has been put together it looks to me like another one of those ''Warehouse'' type businesses that seem to be all the rage at the moment! What puzzles me is the fact that the last tackle shop in Lostock closed last year after losing 90% of their sales after trading for decades, so Why would anyone take the risk of opening another tackle business in the same area?

Last edited:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Motorway catchment area, probably going 'big' into mail order internet sales.

Why did the old shop lose 90% of its sales ?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Never questioned it Merv, but probably the internet, mind you, the owner was a right miserable so and so and you get a better selection of gear down in Preston!

richiekelly

Reaction score
Never questioned it Merv, but probably the internet, mind you, the owner was a right miserable so and so and you get a better selection of gear down in Preston!

Might be a clue there, I wont go in tackle shops where there are cliques standing around drinking tea or where service is not important to those working there.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

The only tackle shop I know of in Preston is Ted Carters. I have rarely had anything to do with them, but they do sell on eBay. They also trade on eBay under another name, which escapes me at the moment, but they both have appalling feedback and I wouldn't use them.

No doubt if I went into the store I would find what I wanted but as Liverpool is equipped with an angling superstore and 3 other independent tackle shops with a further 4 a short car-ride away on the Wirral, there would be no need.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might be a clue there, I wont go in tackle shops where there are cliques standing around drinking tea or where service is not important to those working there.

Two of my local tackle shops that I use a lot always offer a cup of tea, a biscuit and some downright wicked banter, especially if the Drennan or Preston rep comes in while you are dunking.

The thing about cliques is, they're great if you're in one!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I have two superstore style tackle shops near to me. One has a great range for all facets of angling, plenty of helpful if you need it polite staff who speak to everyone, and it's quiet so you can concentrate on what you're after. The other has cliquey staff who bellow around the shop when their mates come in and really can't be a###d to ask if you're ok and have found everything you need and stock levels of the other shop.
Doesn't take a genius to work out which one I use and also which one is in trouble.

Shops these days need to realise that the customer is everything and they need to go the extra mile to guarantee satisfaction.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Two of my local tackle shops that I use a lot always offer a cup of tea, a biscuit and some downright wicked banter, especially if the Drennan or Preston rep comes in while you are dunking.

The thing about cliques is, they're great if you're in one!

If its a friendly atmosphere in the shop that's a good thing, some though make you feel very unwelcome.

I am in a clique of 1 today painting doors in the hall, all bloody 6 of them, better get on with it.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If its a friendly atmosphere in the shop that's a good thing, some though make you feel very unwelcome.

I am in a clique of 1 today painting doors in the hall, all bloody 6 of them, better get on with it.

Of the four tackle shops in Liverpool, three are friendly and helpful and one has owners who regard customers as a disruption to their day. No prizes for guessing which ones get my hard-earned!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The only tackle shop I know of in Preston is Ted Carters. I have rarely had anything to do with them, but they do sell on eBay. They also trade on eBay under another name, which escapes me at the moment, but they both have appalling feedback and I wouldn't use them.

The alternate seller name on ebay is Gogetter (or a variation of it).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Appalling feedback for them and for Ted Carter.

Strange isn't it. If you were stupid enough to say anything especially negative about them on a fishing forum you're likely to get ripped to shreds. There are plenty that think that Ted Carter can do no wrong.

I've actually bought from both incarnations on ebay without issue that I can recall. My dealings through the website and on the phone have occasionally been more problematic. They are now one of those places that I'll only buy from if they are the only source of something or they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Strange isn't it. If you were stupid enough to say anything especially negative about them on a fishing forum you're likely to get ripped to shreds. There are plenty that think that Ted Carter can do no wrong.

I've actually bought from both incarnations on ebay without issue that I can recall. My dealings through the website and on the phone have occasionally been more problematic. They are now one of those places that I'll only buy from if they are the only source of something or they are a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

The only time I have ever used Ted Carter was in the pre-Internet, mail-order days when I wanted fly-tying materials and there was no-one local who sold them.

A lot of their negative eBay feedback relates to not replying to complaint emails when stuff is not up to snuff or is not sent at all.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I think carters went wayward when the old man died, used to be one of the best years ago!
Same happened to Bennetts of Sheffield, when the old guy handed over the reins to his son, went really down the pan. After the great flood, they could not be bothered to put things right and shut...Always wondered if they ever recouped all the money owed from the many thousands of customers that had credit accounts with them, it must have run in to millions!

richiekelly

Reaction score
You've either got a bloody big house or the Church can be justifiably proud of you :)

Its a bungalow all the interior doors are in the hallway, just the second coat to do Sunday, I'm out all day so the wife has volunteered.

oops, sorry gone "off thread".

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Its a bungalow all the interior doors are in the hallway, just the second coat to do Sunday, I'm out all day so the wife has volunteered.

We've got the same sort of arrangement. All our internal doors lead to the hallway. We have a deal in that I take the doors off and put them on a trestle in the basement in order to sand them down and paint them, while Little Wife does the door frames. I hate decorating :(

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We've got the same sort of arrangement. All our internal doors lead to the hallway. We have a deal in that I take the doors off and put them on a trestle in the basement in order to sand them down and paint them, while Little Wife does the door frames. I hate decorating :(

I pay a decorator who does it as a foreigner. His next job is hall, stairs and landing. 12ft drops of paper on the stairs - worth every penny!