Commercial Fishery Standards

scottiedog

Reaction score
Just been for a look around a local commercial fishery (not naming it) & the standard of maintenance is very poor. The entrance track is so badly pot holed it's not far off 4x4 only access, the car park has a couple of shipping containers for the shop/office etc (nothing wrong with them). But next to them is a couple of mounds of gravel/shale & a battered old sit on lawnmower.
Further along the potholed track there's a large skip where all the rubbish from the bins gets burned, then a large pile of dumped rubble next to the second lake.
Needless to say I WON'T be fishing there. Another fishery a couple of miles away is like a different world, spotless & maintained to a very high standard. Some fishery owners need to seriously raise their standards!

sam vimes

Reaction score
They'll do as they will and customers will vote with their feet. However, I suspect that there are many folks out there that would fish in the worst kind of hell hole provided that the catches or individual fish were big enough. For that reason, many owners don't give a stuff, they don't have to, they are still making money.

I've not got anything against commercials, though I don't fish them often. However, I'd rather fish somewhere that needs no maintenance whatsoever, or at least looks like it never has any maintenance carried out.

daji

Reaction score
My local lake has no road access and no office/shop. It's a hole in the ground filled with water, a few ducks, tree's and the usual wildlife. More importantly there are fish to catch. For me that's all i'm looking for.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of my friends have run Commercial fisheries and it is purely a way of making good money. They themselves do not even consider them fisheries as such. They cater for the catching of fish and that is why people fish them. My club had their fur and feather on one in mid December nine or thirteen fished and they weighed in over 1000 pound of carp the same pool has produced individual weights of 400 pound. This is what some people want and people will pay as long as they get what they want it is a sure money maker if you get it right. I think they are great places for youngsters to learn how to use rods, reels and methods. The problem is getting them to fish normal venues where the fish do not jump on the hook.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to fish a successful commie that never put any money back into ground maintenance. You stepped from your car into mud and got your gear out onto mud and packed away in the mud. I remonstrated with the owner about putting gravel down, he didn't, I stopped fishing there!

terry m

Reaction score
Fishing is much greater than catching a huge net of fish, it is about the setting and surroundings, the whole gambit.

I have no wish to fish commercial venues, that is my choice, |I have no issue with those that choose to do so. But regardless of commie or not, if the setting is poor I will do as others have said and vote with my feet.

As long as people tolerate poor conditions, and the owners keep coining it in, then do not be surprised if nothing changes.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing is much greater than catching a huge net of fish, it is about the setting and surroundings, the whole gambit.

I have no wish to fish commercial venues, that is my choice, |I have no issue with those that choose to do so. But regardless of commie or not, if the setting is poor I will do as others have said and vote with my feet.

As long as people tolerate poor conditions, and the owners keep coining it in, then do not be surprised if nothing changes.

If there are two lakes within a few hundred yards of each other One that is stocked for catching but featureless litter and rubbish banks. The other with a normal stock level but nice surrounding no litter very pleasant place to spend a few hours. Both lakes costing the same to fish. You know and I know which one will make money. My club has one of the best kept and natural looking fisheries in the South east not one of the clubs matches are held on the fishery any more and it has been like that for twenty years. None of the matches are held on rivers anymore either. Every one is held on a commercial.

sam vimes

Reaction score

That might be true for you, it patently doesn't apply to everyone. Plenty of places wouldn't make any money, or even exist, if it were universally applicable. For some, all they are really interested in is big. Big bags or big fish.

Even without resorting to commercials, I know it to be true of myself. There's no other explanation for me driving past several much more picturesque rivers to fish the tidal Trent. It may have a certain stark quality, but it's not pretty.

terry m

Reaction score
That might be true for you, it patently doesn't apply to everyone. Plenty of places wouldn't make any money, or even exist, if it were universally applicable. For some, all they are really interested in is big. Big bags or big fish.

Even without resorting to commercials, I know it to be true of myself. There's no other explanation for me driving past several much more picturesque rivers to fish the tidal Trent. It may have a certain stark quality, but it's not pretty.

Yes it is true for me, that's why I wrote it! :eek:mg:

As for pretty, there was no previous mention of pretty.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
People fish how they want to fish

I will fish a local commercial because I can be there and set up in 20 minutes, catch decent sized fish

Another time I'll fish a river that requires me to walk with my gear for 20 minutes but the possibility of a fish is much lower
Another time I'll fish a small pond in the middle of a housing estate that is a small fish a cast

It all depends on me mood at gage time

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Hello Scottie.
Is it an established fishery? The loveliest venues were mounds of gravel and pot holes to begin with.

terry m

Reaction score
People fish how they want to fish

I will fish a local commercial because I can be there and set up in 20 minutes, catch decent sized fish

Another time I'll fish a river that requires me to walk with my gear for 20 minutes but the possibility of a fish is much lower
Another time I'll fish a small pond in the middle of a housing estate that is a small fish a cast

It all depends on me mood at gage time

Perfectly put and completely agree.