How did you get on...?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
10 braved the windy towpath today near Tring. Breadpunch was the bait today and some pegs were black with roach. Not mine though...
Drew the flyer and only had 6 roach in 6 hours. Even the perch didn't want the worm.
10lb won it, all punch roach.
Back ups 5,6,7lb

How did you get on?

C

chefster

The open yesterday at TBF was fished over 2 lakes Club and Canal,all the big names were there and I was a bit daunted when I drew club peg 1-next to Tunnel supremo-the legendary Pete Rice!!!4 hours in and I was streets ahead of mr Rice-then he turned the screw-I ended up with 18 f1,s and a single barbel for 23-10-0- to petes 32-8-0.....Keef(shallowman)Haynes weighed 27-0-0,another TBF expert Wayne Sweetman weighed 29-0-0,Bad H,my mate weighed 24-2-0,the guy next to him took the lake with 43-0-0 of late F1,s,then the weights went 17lb,13lb,9lb and a few dnw.s........I don't know how Canal fished as we did,nt stay, but it was a really good match and I felt that I,d made a few mistakes,but learnt a few lessons ,Going back for the open on Tues:D:DChef

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
3 hours dead baiting in the teeth of the wind up against the winter remains of a reed bed. One run, a minted 8-04 jack, home for tea in front of the fire. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday!:)

Stu

C

chefster

10 braved the windy towpath today near Tring. Breadpunch was the bait today and some pegs were black with roach. Not mine though...
Drew the flyer and only had 6 roach in 6 hours. Even the perch didn't want the worm.
10lb won it, all punch roach.
Back ups 5,6,7lb

How did you get on?

Simon,dont you just hate it when you eventually draw a flyer-only to find that all the little buggers have swam off somewhere else:eek::eek::eek:

The Runner

Reaction score
Second in club match on R Colne at Uxbridge. River still well up and seems to have stopped dropping from Thursday, at Uxbridge anyway, and we suspect now that the flood risk has passed that water is being diverted into the river from the GUC. At any rate the canal overspill between pegs 59 and 60 was giving a very passable impression of Victoria Falls. Only three caught today and as I feared, the floods seem to have pushed a lot of the fish out of their usual winter quarters on the backstream.
I had one bream of around 3lb on pole and lobworm tail and a couple of reasonable roach on maggot ending up with 3-14. One chub and a few roach won it with 4-8
Drew peg 58 aka the Dole House peg. Not the best day to draw the run off from an old mill race, and it was borderline whether we used it today. Needed an 8 gram flat float, overshotted by a AAA, even for the slower water under my feet (would have needed a 4oz grip lead for the peg's usual two thirds over line) and ridiculously snaggy. Must have lost at least 20 hooks...
Enough today to win me the clubs R Colne series . Only two of us were in contention going into today but Don was one of the dozen blanks.

sampras43

Reaction score
Second in club match on R Colne at Uxbridge. River still well up and seems to have stopped dropping from Thursday, at Uxbridge anyway, and we suspect now that the flood risk has passed that water is being diverted into the river from the GUC. At any rate the canal overspill between pegs 59 and 60 was giving a very passable impression of Victoria Falls. Only three caught today and as I feared, the floods seem to have pushed a lot of the fish out of their usual winter quarters on the backstream.
I had one bream of around 3lb on pole and lobworm tail and a couple of reasonable roach on maggot ending up with 3-14. One chub and a few roach won it with 4-8
Drew peg 58 aka the Dole House peg. Not the best day to draw the run off from an old mill race, and it was borderline whether we used it today. Needed an 8 gram flat float, overshotted by a AAA, even for the slower water under my feet (would have needed a 4oz grip lead for the peg's usual two thirds over line) and ridiculously snaggy. Must have lost at least 20 hooks...
Enough today to win me the clubs R Colne series . Only two of us were in contention going into today but Don was one of the dozen blanks.

I tried a bit of Chub chasing on the Colne at Denham and blanked. Not even a touch. Still very fast and I'm convinced a lot of the fish have moved out. Oh well, there's always next time.

nicepix

Reaction score
WARNING! This post contains an image of a JW Avon rod and Garcia Mitchell reel. If you feel that you may be offended or traumatised by cheap and / or old tackle or descriptions of obsolete methods please look away now.

I had planned a session after catfish today given the forecast of 14 degree temps. However, a chilly easterly wind put the mockers on that so plans were changed, rods swapped in the holdall and a later than planned start. Plan 'B' was to try swing tipping for roach at the big lake and if they were 'aving it, I would drop a catfish bait on the edge of the swim. As I drove over the bridge at Chabanais the river look very inviting so I drove down to the one swim in the town centre where there is a platform to fish from. Initial impressions were favourable. The water level had dropped to normal and there was good clarity. Plan 'C' was put into place using my emergency JW Travel Quiver / Avon that I keep in the car and my faithful Mitchell Match reel that resides in the Aldi day bag used for 'peche douce' or light fishing to you foreigners.

The swim is normally easy fishing and gives good results for roach up to around a pound or more. The fishing platform was covered in sludge following the high water other than that everything was tickety-boo. I started with worm on a 14 and an inline wire feeder. An hour passed without a nibble and just as I was thinking of packing up the road loaded smoothly and I found myself playing something that wasn't a roach! It took off towards mid river and then grudgingly allowed me to get a bit of line back..........

Another hour passed without incident and so I de-camped to the big lake where I hoped the roach would be waiting. Nothing, zilch, nada. Tried worm, sweetcorn, artificial maggots on the swing tip and the JW with the float tip on, casting a large zoomer into the distance. I fluffed about with depths, shot and bait all afternoon without a single bite or sign of a fish.

oyster

Reaction score
Fished the Mease on Friday afternoon, had a dozen or so Roach to 12oz. The bites were getting more shy and difficult to hit. After having a pike making a lunge at a Roach I was reeling in I moved 1 peg downstream. Constant stream of bites that were hard to hit I eventually hit a Dace which would be a p.b. for me of about 1/2lb. Undecided whether it was the pike that were making the Roach shy or I was getting more Dace bites. But ended up striking with a combination of pulling the line with my left hand slightly and moving the rod with the right which is the only way I managed to hook the last few fish that were less than 10 metres from me.

Dove on Sunday caught my first Grayling, quite slow in the initial peg I chose, had a couple of grayling and moved upstream to fish a slack section. 7 more Grayling followed, a Chublet, a dace and 2 greedy minnow! Didn't realize just how quickly Grayling get the bait down their throat and just how quickly you need to get them back into the water. Luckily I learned this with the first fish and after a bit of running him through the water he slipped off non the worse for wear.

Good fishing all around but would love to know whether there are any decent Roach stretches on the Dove, speaking to a couple of chaps on the Bank it seems they might be few and far between.

neil1970

Reaction score
I grabbed a couple of hours on the Colne yesterday with Simon.

Simon caught a decent sized crayfish, and I lost two fish :wh

Nevertheless it was a pleasant afternoon as ever:) & I'm itching to get back out!

sampras43

Reaction score
WARNING! This post contains an image of a JW Avon rod and Garcia Mitchell reel. If you feel that you may be offended or traumatised by cheap and / or old tackle or descriptions of obsolete methods please look away now.

I had planned a session after catfish today given the forecast of 14 degree temps. However, a chilly easterly wind put the mockers on that so plans were changed, rods swapped in the holdall and a later than planned start. Plan 'B' was to try swing tipping for roach at the big lake and if they were 'aving it, I would drop a catfish bait on the edge of the swim. As I drove over the bridge at Chabanais the river look very inviting so I drove down to the one swim in the town centre where there is a platform to fish from. Initial impressions were favourable. The water level had dropped to normal and there was good clarity. Plan 'C' was put into place using my emergency JW Travel Quiver / Avon that I keep in the car and my faithful Mitchell Match reel that resides in the Aldi day bag used for 'peche douce' or light fishing to you foreigners.

The swim is normally easy fishing and gives good results for roach up to around a pound or more. The fishing platform was covered in sludge following the high water other than that everything was tickety-boo. I started with worm on a 14 and an inline wire feeder. An hour passed without a nibble and just as I was thinking of packing up the road loaded smoothly and I found myself playing something that wasn't a roach! It took off towards mid river and then grudgingly allowed me to get a bit of line back..........

Another hour passed without incident and so I de-camped to the big lake where I hoped the roach would be waiting. Nothing, zilch, nada. Tried worm, sweetcorn, artificial maggots on the swing tip and the JW with the float tip on, casting a large zoomer into the distance. I fluffed about with depths, shot and bait all afternoon without a single bite or sign of a fish.

Nicepix, do you use a whole worm on a 14?

Use anything to keep it on the hook?

nicepix

Reaction score
Nicepix, do you use a whole worm on a 14?

Use anything to keep it on the hook?

I used a smallish red worm. They type that you find in manure piles. I brought a trailer load of donkey droppings for the garden a couple of weeks ago and 'rescued' ;) some of the worms before Little Wife buried them in the veg' patch. They are about right for a 14. Bear in mind I'd tackled up for roach, not barbel. As for keeping it on; I double hook them and even though the hook is a micro barb they stay on OK.

If fishing for barbel I would use a larger hook, say a 10, and hair rig a couple of lobs on a maggot clip.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I may have to stop posting on this Thread as it's becoming embarrassing to keep saying I'm going fishing for roach and end up reporting a measly carp, and I mean measly at around 1,5lbs.....................and that's the sum result for Sat and Mon!

Tried everything, fished fine with good quality bait such as freshly cleaned maggots and decent casters, not to mention bread in all it's forms, but nothing could I induce to feed. I even tried a little crumb also freshly ground..................

However I shall venture out tomorrow for a little more fresh air with lots of good hot tea and sit behind a carp rod with large baits........that'll show em!!

......and yes, I'm definitely cross now!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Don't be embarrassed Tee Cee. My weekly reports usually involve scratching about on canals trying to catch small fish. Keep it coming mate.
I'd sooner read about people's weekend fishing, whatever it involved, than some of the boring petty arguments on here involving members who don't appear to go fishing at all....

nicepix

Reaction score
I enjoy reading them too. What I notice is that those of us who fish waters that aren't over stocked often seem to struggle at the same time and all seem to catch well at the same time even though we employ vastly different methods on vastly different venues.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm away on holiday for 10 days from tomorrow so won't be out for a while - I'll look in in the evenings from time to time to see if Tony gets his 2lb+ roach;)

C

chefster

I fished the open today at TBF (Extension pool)I drew peg 29-which Mr Rice informed me was a good summer peg!!:(Anyway I fished 2 lines on maggot 2+1 in front and 2+2 down the left margin-the 2+1 in front was solid!! with tiny stockies and skimmers...the margin line produced 19 F1,s for 34-10-0,which did,nt cut the mustard:(Trouble was I must of lost at least 15 big F1,s,all of which were hooked in various parts of their body,except the mouth!!!!) I tried shallow,deep,different shotting patterns,so it must of been my feeding all wrong.....Supremo Pete Rice with another win-80 lb+,Pete Hancox 2nd-60lb,and 50lb was 3rd...........20 fished-...Spring Pools on Thursday for a Braunston club match...Cheers Chef

sam vimes

Reaction score
I ventured out yesterday for a couple of hours. I went in spite of knowing that the river was at a higher level than I'd normally bother with. Truth is that I went because it wasn't as windy as the forecast suggested it was going to get in the next few days and I wanted to finally get my new waders wet. As the river was up, I knew a safe place to do it, though I didn't really fancy my chances of catching anything. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised to find that, though up, the water held surprisingly little colour. My chosen spot is normally a fast narrow channel where the bank is a large expanse of flat gravel. The gravel was covered with water but it was only a few inches deep and perfectly safe for me to just about wet the bottom of my calves. I fished and fed for about an hour with no sign of any action. Another trot resulted in the usual ballistic trout chaos. It shot out of the shallow gravels I was trotting into the main flow, jumped several times, and generally put up a fairly long, hard fight. The result was a brownie around the 2lb mark. That killed it stone dead for another half an hour until a much more obliging grayling of around a pound put in an appearance. Another half an hour saw cold feet get the better of me so I packed up and went for a walk at a nearby stillwater to get the circulation going.

lambert1

Reaction score
Had an all day session on the river again yesterday and blanked again! In my defence I have very limited experience of fishing flooded rivers, but I could not buy a bite! The river is running fast and high and very coloured and the number of safe swims is limited due to very soft banks. It was still great to be out though and I am not in the least down hearted. I tried bread, sweet corn and cheese paste to no avail trying different amounts, hook sizes, presentations etc. I saw plenty of wild life including kingfishers, Pheasants (the noisy male ones!) rabbits etc and it was so very peaceful. That in itself is a privilege that not everyone can experience! I am enjoying my first full season immensely and have not lost any enthusiasm. Although the cheese paste was significantly whiffy (as advised it should be and has certainly: worked before), I will give worms, maggots and luncheon meat a try next time. This is still my favourite time out by a country mile!:D