Seat box or chair?

carlosd

Reaction score
Need a bit of advise as I'm ready to purchase a seat box or carp chair.

I will be fishing in a few matches along the canal and local ponds but also River fishing when the new season arrives.

Will a seat box be more ideal?

I like the look of the chairs too!

What do you anglers advise ?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the styles of fishing used and a dollop of personal preference.
I can't comfortably fish a pole when sat on a chair. Some can and do, but I simply can't understand how they manage it. If fishing a pole, or when fishing a venue where I've taken my pole, I invariably go with a seatbox.

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a dodgy back and I can't fish from a box, so a chair is my choice. Be aware that not all chairs are comfortable for everybody, you will need to try several and decide which is best for you.

Craig Hunt

Reaction score
I'd say a box. Fishing a pole or feeding a swim efficiently is damn hard from a chair.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Got both.

Use the chair when fishing the feeder or the waggler and the seatbox, with footplate, when fishing the pole.

As others have said it's hard to fish the pole comfortably from a chair.

carlosd

Reaction score
Thanks for all your answers!

Simple solution but a pricey one is pushing the boat out and getting both!

Carlos

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all your answers!

Simple solution but a pricey one is pushing the boat out and getting both!

Carlos

Have a look for secondhand on Gumtree as they have loads of local sites and you can see stuff before you buy. I got my Korum chair, Ruckbag and Rod Quiver and Little Gem Seatbox with legs and footplate, pole roller, side tray and 14ft Fox Waggler Rod from Gumtree or fellow club members. Cost me a fraction of what I would have paid new.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Depends on methods and venues, I think as a general rule then on a nice flat peg on a lake, a seatbox style set-up probably makes you as efficient as you can be, having everything to hand - and would be the best bet in most match or match-style fishing.

However, move on to a river with steep banks where you might be fishing in several swims over the course of the day... Then a nice light chair comes in to its own, preferably with back legs that fold independantly of the front ones so that you can still get set up on a steep slope with just the front legs out.

I don't use a seat box at all, but i do tend to be a bit of an unorganised mess when I'm fishing!! Which is why I prefer fishing rivers, less stuff to take with me and less stuff to keep to hand...

carlosd

Reaction score
Depends on methods and venues, I think as a general rule then on a nice flat peg on a lake, a seatbox style set-up probably makes you as efficient as you can be, having everything to hand - and would be the best bet in most match or match-style fishing.

However, move on to a river with steep banks where you might be fishing in several swims over the course of the day... Then a nice light chair comes in to its own, preferably with back legs that fold independantly of the front ones so that you can still get set up on a steep slope with just the front legs out.

I don't use a seat box at all, but i do tend to be a bit of an unorganised mess when I'm fishing!! Which is why I prefer fishing rivers, less stuff to take with me and less stuff to keep to hand...

Just had a browse on gum tree and there is a few seat boxes!

I'll have a look in my local tackle shop because I'd like to get one new and support the shop! :)

Carlos

terry m

Reaction score
Chair for me too, but then again I do not own a pole.

I do own a seatbox that gets dragged out very occasionally, then it gets put away quickly when I realise it is uncomfortable!!

mick b

Reaction score
Seat every time.

But I have a shooting stick in stock......for when I get older..:eek:mg: