just bought 3 old reels

nicky

Reaction score
shimano aerlex xs 8000

£10 each as i needed some reels that would cast further than my current little okumas but after getting them home realized they've had there day (what was i expecting for the money) the handles are all wobbly (gears worn ?) etc.

Dont know whether to keep them for a bit and possibly sell them on ebay listing their condition try and get my money back or possibly send them to felindre for a service but god knows what that would cost?

BOF39

Reaction score
They will look them over and give you a quote before doing anything. But you can pick up new Shimano Beastmasters XSA's from Go Outdoors for under £50 so dont go too daft.

BOF ;)

nicky

Reaction score
thats what i thought for the price you can pick up a decent reel its not worth spending much on them as i only really need two i was thinking about getting the new gears from felindre myself and have a go at replacing if i mess one up then i still got two left and know not to bother with the other two.
just hate wasting money that i havent got to waste

john step

Reaction score
Dont waste any more money! :eek:mg: Life is too short to muck around trying to fix rubbish when you could be spending the time on the riverbank.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you buy second hand be careful you are not buying someone else's problems always check first. If you cannot do not buy.

redfin123

Reaction score
shimano aerlex xs 8000

£10 each as i needed some reels that would cast further than my current little okumas but after getting them home realized they've had there day (what was i expecting for the money) the handles are all wobbly (gears worn ?) etc.

Dont know whether to keep them for a bit and possibly sell them on ebay listing their condition try and get my money back or possibly send them to felindre for a service but god knows what that would cost?
should have bought some mitchells.:wh:wh:wh:eek::eek:mg:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I started beach fishing in the 90's my first reel was an Aerlex 8000. It didn't have a bail-arm it had a finger pickup and was a good workhorse of a reel that took some abuse (as beach reels do)

Might be worth spending a bit on getting them fixed up, but not much more than a bit!