Regrets...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting read Cliff.

I personally work on the principle that I never "regret" anything.

My decisions are taken using the available information and I trust my instincts not to make a bad one.

Then, if those conditions change you cannot regret having made the original decision, can you?

That said, there was this very lovely girl in Sweden, Corrine, but that is an altogether different story, and one not to be related whilst sober . . . . . .

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no regrets about my life. I have always made the best of what I have had. As a small boy I was bought up by my grandparents till I was seven years of age . My grandparents taught me to always give of your best in all things always strive to be successful in everything you ventured into and never be envious of other people. I can remember my grandfather telling me stories from books something I have never forgotten was I moaned because I had no shoes and then I saw a man with no feet. Always count your blessings he would say and never let it be said that you do not earn your corn. I have been showered with blessings in my life some I have helped along and some have fell at my feet. I consider myself to be a very fortunate man.:)

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Growing up i was a right Tw*t, still am for that matter.

Do i have Regrets, A few, but i have always thought it right to take what ever consequences come my way for my own actions.

Regrets .... Yes, but, i've learnt to live with them and they don't bother me to the point i feel i need to change them.

Good to hear someone else's take on things though, No, Regrets, you should have lived harder IMO

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Don't mean to rub it in Cliff but... That Elaine in the greengrocers. She was really friendly... hur hur hur... :)

martinsalter

Reaction score
Nice one Cliff....we've all been there...I don't mean with Elaine...but how many girls did we drive away with our fishy obsessions? I take some comfort in the wise words of my old, and now sadly departed friend Marion, who once told me.."Regret nothing - when you've had one, firm thighed 18 year old, you've had them all"
Of course, we haven't had them all or even all we could - but then, we will never catch all the fish...and why would we ever want to?!:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
" we haven't had them all, or even all we could"...........absolutely true, but boy did I try hard!!

No, regrets are not good IMHO and from my experiences it does your head a lot of harm to continually think about what you've missed, or might have missed out on. I've reached 71 years (probably more by good fortune than anything else) so I can look back over a long period of time to judge what I've done with my life and consider whether I achieved what I set out to do back on my twenties.
I decided at an early age that travel was my bag and if I could do this via my chosen vocation then so much the better. This I did through the construction industry which saw me all over the world, living in some places, from 1969 to 1984. Obviously such a life is not all glam but generally speaking it was a wonderful time THAT I HAD PLANNED FOR MYSELF.
Without doubt such a life will always involve the opposite sex and mine was no exception! One meets, in travel mode, a very wide variety of women that one might not otherwise meet in normal life. Chance meetings on aircraft either with passengers or the flight staff happened many times, some of which lead my life in a different direction to some extent, but always with my eyes wide open so NO regrets. Let's face it, it is very hard to avoid meeting women under such circumstances!!
Marriage has taken it's toll with several failed attempts, but again never any 'regrets' with any of them or of any other 'close friend' for that matter.......

Yes, from a very early age I sewed my wild oats and I never stepped back from this at any time in my life, but always with quality women, and always with someone who had something to offer. I can honestly say the 'one night stand' was not for me! Yes, I loved women's company and still do for that matter, even to the point where fishing was put on the back burner for considerable lengths of time (God forbid!) but I always returned to it eventually...
So, for me, looking back, I've done pretty much what I wanted to do and consequently I can have no 'regrets'. In other words I dictated where I wanted to go with my life at all times and never shied away from painful decisions even if that meant a failed marriage. It all sound very straight forward but like all life it never, ever is, whoever you are, and I'm certainly no exception!

Perhaps my very poor childhood drove me on, or my own mothers very sad life was a beacon for me to use as guidance in my own life (she was 60+ before she felt safe and free to run her life), but whatever, 'we are all responsible for our own actions' and I try to follow this mantra where possible....

I have met many who have 'regrets', including close family, but when I really listen to the various stories from such folk I cannot help thinking, in most cases, they really did not make any attempt to avoid the, what came to be, 'regrets', in any way shape or form - they didn't make any attempt to change things...... As I say we ALL have choices and we can all make them IF WE REALLY WANT TO, but most, seemingly choose not to, and then find themselves looking back over a life full of 'regrets'.......................and that I find very sad..

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
" we haven't had them all, or even all we could"...........absolutely true, but boy did I try hard!!

No, regrets are not good IMHO and from my experiences it does your head a lot of harm to continually think about what you've missed, or might have missed out on. I've reached 71 years (probably more by good fortune than anything else) so I can look back over a long period of time to judge what I've done with my life and consider whether I achieved what I set out to do back on my twenties.
I decided at an early age that travel was my bag and if I could do this via my chosen vocation then so much the better. This I did through the construction industry which saw me all over the world, living in some places, from 1969 to 1984. Obviously such a life is not all glam but generally speaking it was a wonderful time THAT I HAD PLANNED FOR MYSELF.
Without doubt such a life will always involve the opposite sex and mine was no exception! One meets, in travel mode, a very wide variety of women that one might not otherwise meet in normal life. Chance meetings on aircraft either with passengers or the flight staff happened many times, some of which lead my life in a different direction to some extent, but always with my eyes wide open so NO regrets. Let's face it, it is very hard to avoid meeting women under such circumstances!!
Marriage has taken it's toll with several failed attempts, but again never any 'regrets' with any of them or of any other 'close friend' for that matter.......

Yes, from a very early age I sewed my wild oats and I never stepped back from this at any time in my life, but always with quality women, and always with someone who had something to offer. I can honestly say the 'one night stand' was not for me! Yes, I loved women's company and still do for that matter, even to the point where fishing was put on the back burner for considerable lengths of time (God forbid!) but I always returned to it eventually...
So, for me, looking back, I've done pretty much what I wanted to do and consequently I can have no 'regrets'. In other words I dictated where I wanted to go with my life at all times and never shied away from painful decisions even if that meant a failed marriage. It all sound very straight forward but like all life it never, ever is, whoever you are, and I'm certainly no exception!

Perhaps my very poor childhood drove me on, or my own mothers very sad life was a beacon for me to use as guidance in my own life (she was 60+ before she felt safe and free to run her life), but whatever, 'we are all responsible for our own actions' and I try to follow this mantra where possible....

I have met many who have 'regrets', including close family, but when I really listen to the various stories from such folk I cannot help thinking, in most cases, they really did not make any attempt to avoid the, what came to be, 'regrets', in any way shape or form - they didn't make any attempt to change things...... As I say we ALL have choices and we can all make them IF WE REALLY WANT TO, but most, seemingly choose not to, and then find themselves looking back over a life full of 'regrets'.......................and that I find very sad..

I used my father as a object lesson and made sure I did not make the same mistakes as him. Life is what you make it if you muck it up it is down to yourself nobody else.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
..............and that's all you can do, learn from the mistakes of others. The trouble is tinker, is that some people WANT to blame someone else rather than take responsibility....but that's human nature I suppose.

Just as well we're not all perfect like us eh?? Add a smilie here...

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
..............and that's all you can do, learn from the mistakes of others. The trouble is tinker, is that some people WANT to blame someone else rather than take responsibility....but that's human nature I suppose.

Just as well we're not all perfect like us eh?? Add a smilie here...

Satisfied people are always happy people.:)

thx1138

Reaction score
Time spent in pursuit of fish rarely has anything worth regretting about it, whereas it seems almost every girl I've ever pursued has ended me up with a right load of grief, and seriously reduced my available angling opportunities in the process! ;) :D

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Tee-Cee....so pleased to have presented you with the opportunity to say what you said (wrote)...I can tell you've been dying to get that on 'paper'! It was a wonderful precis which gave me - and others - a fair idea of your life so far and it does appear to have been PRETTY-BLOODY-GOOD! I liked your somewhat camouflaged account of meeting women on aeroplanes...the only club I'm in is the Moor Hall & Belhus Angling Society!

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tee-Cee....so pleased to have presented you with the opportunity to say what you said (wrote)...I can tell you've been dying to get that on 'paper'! It was a wonderful precis which gave me - and others - a fair idea of your life so far and it does appear to have been PRETTY-BLOODY-GOOD! I liked your somewhat camouflaged account of meeting women on aeroplanes...the only club I'm in is the Moor Hall & Belhus Angling Society!

I was a member of Moor Hall in the late 60s early 70s Left when the water near Ockendon station got polluted by what was dumped when they filled in Ham rivers in the early 60s

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
...I must know you then, Tinker!

Your name rings a bell but I cannot put a face to it. I have been involved with Becontree & district since 70 There were a few of us that fished Moor hall until the pollution.