£75 budget

acbruce

Reaction score
Am hoping to get a carp rod for my birthday with a budget of £75. Not going to be going after anything mammoth at my local lakes - up to 20lb I guess, but would appreciate some pointers as web shop reviews and manufacturers description can be somewhat biased.

Cheers

tookadum

Reaction score
Daiwa Mission X Carp Rod 12ft - 3.5lb Test Curve has never let me down. I fish a similar style.

They can be brought on eBay for around £60 inc p+p:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
To an extent you should disregard the size of the fish and think about the methods you intend to use, the distances you intend to cast and the size of the leads you are going to use to achieve that distance.

If you are fishing on the type of waters where a 50 yard cast is a long one, there's little danger of you needing a rod of 3lb test or greater. However, modern reality is that there are only a few current rods less than 2.75lb test. The vast majority of modern carp rods are distance casting tools.

If you are gently lobbing 1-1.5oz leads (with no big PVA bags), you may well get away with a 1.5-1.75lb barbel rod.

nicepix

Reaction score
To an extent you should disregard the size of the fish and think about the methods you intend to use, the distances you intend to cast and the size of the leads you are going to use to achieve that distance.

If you are fishing on the type of waters where a 50 yard cast is a long one, there's little danger of you needing a rod of 3lb test or greater. However, modern reality is that there are only a few current rods less than 2.75lb test. The vast majority of modern carp rods are distance casting tools.

If you are gently lobbing 1-1.5oz leads (with no big PVA bags), you may well get away with a 1.5-1.75lb barbel rod.

Agreed. You can get barbel rods around the 2lb tc range for that sort of money.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Sam is correct in what he say's pick a rod to suit your fishing, you will get more pleasure from the 2lb tc as NP said.

john step

Reaction score
I have a deep suspicion that many rod blanks from different brands are the same and it is only the finishes that are different. Best to go and have a good look and feel at a proper tackle shop with a good selection. Speak there to someone who knows what is what. It would be sad to regret the choice of a birthday present. And besides an outing and time spent at a a proper tackle shop is a pleasure in itself....so... two presents in one.:)

syks

Reaction score
whychwood classic full cork handles in 2.75 lb test,AMAZING rods for the money and much better than alot of rods that cost over double the price ;)

terry m

Reaction score
whychwood classic full cork handles in 2.75 lb test,AMAZING rods for the money and much better than alot of rods that cost over double the price ;)

I have to confess that I have always been impressed by the quality of the finish, and the general feel of Wychwood rods.

smufter

Reaction score
Chub Outkast are good rods for the money.
Lots of different variations available depending, as stated above, what your intended methods of fishing are likely to be.
I have 5 of them in total....2 of their 11' 2.25tc "Smallwater" rods, and 3 x 12' 2.75tc.
The two 11' rods are my "go to" rods, the rods I use for most of my fishing.
I tend to fish smaller lakes, either using light running leads with single baits, small pva bags or "stringers", even doing the odd bit of stalking or floater fishing with them. They are ideal for this type of fishing, and as the lakes that I fish hold nothing bigger than 30lb I don't feel under-gunned with them. I have caught fish up to just under 26lb with them, and they have a beautiful action to them when playing fish.
I am off to France in June where I will be fishing a slightly bigger lake than usual, and this could require a slightly longer chuck than I am used to.
Also, the fish stocks run to mid 40's there, so to be on the safe side I am taking the "beefier" 12' rods. I am likely to have to step up my lead and bait size, and these rods should cope with that a little better.
I match my smaller rods with Daiwa Regal 4000 reels which are the perfect size, and together with the lightness of the blanks I am quite happy holding these all day if I have to.
With the bigger rods I use 5000 size reels of the same make, and again they balance superbly. A bit heavier but I don't envisage spending long hours stalking with them, they are likely to spend their time sitting on the rests.
I would highly recommend Chub Outkasts to you.
;)

nocatch

Reaction score
Hi there,
Do you live in the North of Blighty...if so i may be able to help.....:D

I you do pm me...

Mike

Reaction score
Am hoping to get a carp rod for my birthday with a budget of £75. Not going to be going after anything mammoth at my local lakes - up to 20lb I guess, but would appreciate some pointers as web shop reviews and manufacturers description can be somewhat biased.

Cheers
chub outkast or smallwater all the way, legendary rods may be best budget rods of all time
my preference would be a small water because I prefer light rods as they are more fun to play smaller fish on and you don't need mega powerful gear for big fish either

rouse01

Reaction score
daiwa black widows are excellent budget carp rods,they do them in 2 3/4,3 & 3 1/2 test curve..I have the 3 1/2 test curve & they have never let me down,you can cast good distance with them too & ive had carp to over 33pd on them,paid 90quid for 3 of them off internet a couple of years ago!