Meetings Announced to Present Sea Angling 2012 Results

thames steve

Reaction score
Gradually, gradually the ATr are reaching into sea fishing.

Judging by the sea angling forums though, until they're able to stop trawling close to the shore, they'll continue to meet a lot of apathy.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gradually, gradually the ATr are reaching into sea fishing.

Judging by the sea angling forums though, until they're able to stop trawling close to the shore, they'll continue to meet a lot of apathy.

The only way that will stop is if they put mines off the beaches I have heard stories of beams running along beaches where there are no breakwaters. A boatman at Sheringham in Norfolk last year told me two Spainish ships came inshore the authorities got one of them but the other one got away.

thames steve

Reaction score
I'm afraid you're probably right.

That's the big issue for most sea anglers and there's no way the ATr would be able to tackle an issue of that magnitude...unfortunately.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm afraid you're probably right.

That's the big issue for most sea anglers and there's no way the ATr would be able to tackle an issue of that magnitude...unfortunately.

It is a real shame the way sea angling has gone especially the shore marks. When I look back at the sport I have had and how it has got more and more expensive in the way of bait costs to go and catch a few fish. Especially in the winter and in all probability you will blank or get one or two small whiting. Codling never mind cod are as rare as hens teeth today. I wonder at the fact that so many anglers still give it a try. Your best bet these days is to livebait or use a very large bait in the hope of picking up the odd big fish that might just be there.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Despite being small, the ATr (not fish legal) can be a powerful political voice and it's only politics which will sort this out.
I read recently that there are now only about 500 commercial fishermen in the entire UK. Can that be right?