MiB III (Men into Barbel)

S

Sean Meeghan

Careful Neil they'll have a hit squad on you before you can say Bob Roberts!

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Neil you are a STAR I laughed my sock's off.

I look forward to fishing with soon ( don't tell him, but what a nice bloke that Elliott is)

No smiley's

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Very good Neil./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Graham should have been a bit quieter about the r** h*****g boilies, you never know who's listening in these days./forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif

Nice to know the disguise worked, I can appear quite sylphlike when necessary.

Still smiling/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Neil that was ace mate, I was rockin!

GE actually contactedSS after the 5.12 too! There's a spy in the ranks! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Shame niether of you got the "one" but hey, a fantastic day out for both of you and a nice lump for the charity too.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Shame we didn't get a Stour barbel, but it was a greatday out in excellent company. Even got a signed copy of Graham's book, thanks for that. Also many thanks to Graham for his generosity, the cash going to a very worthy cause, and hopefully, when he reads this, for his excellent sense of humour.

Finally landed my first barbel of the season last Monday evening from Throop and just got back from a day with royalty (sorry, that should read fishing The Royalty). The barbel are now ganging up on me as I had a few, although the total weight of the first three probably just about equalled Mondays fish! Best of the day was this one, a little over 6lb but as far as I'm concerned, all barbel are beautiful.
IMG_2367.JPG

Off to the Severn tomorrow and Saturday, ****y says "I cant fail"..... we shall see!

F

Fred Bonney

Don't expect a quick response from Graham ,he's in the colonies,BIG fish hunting.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney (ACA - BS- BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

.......Nice to know the disguise worked, I can appear quite sylphlike when necessary. </blockquote>

Ah, but it was the biggest and most well fed Otter I've ever seen! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Literally, his head appeared a couple of feet in front of me, he snorted in disgust (I was clearly catching more eels than he was), re-appeared to my left and trotted up the weir sill and off up into Beat 1.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I'm in pain of laughter here....my boss is looking at me thinking I've lost the plot.......Absolutely awesome write up Neil, I haven't laughted so much in ages.

Shame the barbel weren't playing but you at least you had some beautiful chub.

Graham is a fantastic guy, I knew you would hit it off straight away.

But maybe I should take him down Throop next time /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm glad you understood it, Claudia because it went straight over myhead! Two blokes fished Throop, caught a couple of nice chub, alright so far, no mention of barbel? Then it all got confusing - must be a lot of in jokes?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Great story Neil thoroughly enjoyed it. AND it's all totally true.

And had a great days fishing with you on a fanatastic bit of water.

Just happy I managed to slip those barbel back without anyone seeing. (Log number 12232a BS Code book- activity listing)

Did you get some tares to try?

Just come back from catching a couple of 6foot long -150lbers and a few 4 foot "barbel" on the Fraser in BC.

Now they dohang on!!

Graham

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I'm glad you understood it, Claudia because it went straight over myhead! Two blokes fished Throop, caught a couple of nice chub, alright so far, no mention of barbel? Then it all got confusing - must be a lot of in jokes?</blockquote>

Pleased to see at least part of myplan worked then! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Claudia Crowther wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

But maybe I should take him down Throop next time /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Finally got one from Throop last Monday (opposite your swim!) probably about the same size as yours but I'll never know (a long story!)./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

But I'm now far happier with this season's "bertie" effort as I 've just got back from a superb two days with ****y on the Severn. He very kindly put me on some fish!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Elliott 1 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Just come back from catching a couple of 6foot long -150lbers and a few 4 foot "barbel" on the Fraser in BC.

Now they dohang on!!

Graham</blockquote>

I had a go for some of those a few years ago whilst working on the West Coast of USA, failed miserably! Did get attached twice but they just kept going and going!

Thanks again for an excellent day out on Throop and I WILL take you up on your invitation to sample the Kennet! Good book as well, thanks.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil,

I saw the article as a wasted opportunity; your knowledge of Throop goes back more than 40 years albeit with a long gap and recent return, Graham has many years barbel experience. For many anglers it would be interesting to know how you and Graham tackled Throop in summer for barbel - how did you go about locating barbel? Could you see any? Did you rely on past/recent form of swims? How did you bait up? What rigs and why? Did anything happen barbel wise or was it a case of chub/eel bites only?Throop is a far from prolific barbel water nowadays, parts of it are heavily overfished and the fish whilst used to crowds are often hard to tempt.

It's true that many who fish Throop choose swims on the basis of closeness to car parks, past form, ease of fishing but it would be tremendous to understand your approach. 4 years ago I was fishing by School Bridge when Stef Horak came down with Phil Smith. Stef asked me to look after his gear while he went fish spotting - 3 hours later he returned having found what he was looking for - that tells you a lot about his approach - find the fish!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Far from a wasted opportunity Mark.

The account was very much tongue in cheek and reflected the nature of the day out, very relaxed and just a day out on the bank. Graham and I discussed the "type" of day we were both looking for and as it turned it, we achieved it! Try it, it's fun! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I have a germ of an idea for a future article similar to your thoughts but on my current Throop form, it will consist of 99% frustration.But I do concur about those tactics. I'm not able to get down there for the many short sessions at the right times of day, which the locals use to good effect, but whenI do drive the 150 mile round trip, I typically spendthe vast majority of my time wandering and looking and occassionally, eventually, casting a line. Actual fishing time is usuallyvery short!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Mark

I'm a bit long in the tooth to worry about a "have to catch a fish" day.

Besides which, over the past 2 months and the next 2 months most of my fishing days will be trying everything and utilising all my skills to help other anglers catch barbel.

Also to impart as much knowledge as I can to make their future days more effective and rewarding.

So far this season, a generally considered a "hard one" everyone of my customers has caught one at least. That's quite a bit of pressure.

Our day was simplyone to enjoy in a relaxed manner,and a delight for me to see a new water with Neils help.

My key "learning" part of the day plan was to watch the Throop fish's reaction to tares asI am out on Throop later this season. I learnt what I needed to.

Graham

Reaction score
Excellent write up Neil, very funny! /forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif

I've emailed the pics of your Severn monster, see you soon for some zander action /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif