A natural progression .

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While in the tackle shop yesterday one of my friends came in he is a carp angler he asked the manager to order him a certain kind of weigh sling. He asked me how I was getting on with my small Avid cradle that I use for my general fishing. I said fine and added that I thought the next thing will be a cradle with inbuilt scales and that this could do away with the likes of weigh slings and mats weighing poles and tripods. Just net your fish lay it in the cradle read the weight and return to the water. The manager standing behind the counter had a grin on his face and I said to him what's funny. He said had a fella in here yesterday who has taken out a two year patent on the design of just that. He bought a working prototype to the shop with him and he is looking for a backer to help him put it on the market. My friend asked if the manager had a contact which he did so my friend has arranged to to meet him today. So if you are thinking of buying a cradle in the near future hang on for a bit if the idea of appeals to you.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If that idea has legs, then they belong to Ronnie Corbett!!

Mr. Corbett was a great success and still is very popular Maybe the cradle will become the Corbett you just never know. We will just have to wait and see.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Mr. Corbett was a great success and still is very popular Maybe the cradle will become the Corbett you just never know. We will just have to wait and see.

Ha Ha yes he was, I doubt this will be as big a success as he was.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Practical knowledge of angling and what it involves in the management of the environment is all important. Many of the top advisers in this field are also anglers. It is not just case of bookwork a working knowledge of angling is all important.

---------- Post added at 06:39 ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 ----------

Ha Ha yes he was, I doubt this will be as big a success as he was.

We will have to wait and see. I see it as a very practical piece of kit in that it cuts out some of the many bits of ironwork ect. involved in weighing fish these days.

richiekelly

Reaction score
[QUOTE=tiinker;1283954]Practical knowledge of angling and what it involves in the management of the environment is all important. Many of the top advisers in this field are also anglers. It is not just case of bookwork a working knowledge of angling is all important.

Sorry but just how does this "manage the environment" ?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[QUOTE=tiinker;1283954]Practical knowledge of angling and what it involves in the management of the environment is all important. Many of the top advisers in this field are also anglers. It is not just case of bookwork a working knowledge of angling is all important.

Sorry but just how does this "manage the environment" ?

Right post wrong thread You asked if they were academics. That was my answer. sorry about that I had a phone call in the middle of doing it had a senior moment.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
for years now, you have been able to get landing nets (game-fishing ones mostly) with scales built into the handles. The general consensus was that they were rarely accurate and a bit of a gimmick.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
for years now, you have been able to get landing nets (game-fishing ones mostly) with scales built into the handles. The general consensus was that they were rarely accurate and a bit of a gimmick.

But plenty of anglers buy them and I think there are some on this forum that have them. There was a topic about the ones used by the pike fisherman at Chew and the good ones like all good things are not cheap usually sold by the bigger suppliers.

mick b

Reaction score
From the catch lists Ive seen many big fish anglers must have a stirrup attached to the bottom of their weigh slings......:eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From the catch lists Ive seen many big fish anglers must have a stirrup attached to the bottom of their weigh slings......:eek:mg:

I must admit it does look that is the case in some instances but photo can be deceiving. I once witnessed a fish for a angler in was 18 something a nice fish this happened in the mid 70s. On my next visit I went and looked in the catch book and there was my name as witness to the fish but it was in the book at 21. I crossed it out and put a note saying the fish weighed 18 what ever it was. I walked my rounds and the same angler was on the fishery so I told him that I had altered the record . His answer was that it looked like a 21.:wh

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes it will but why do people do this ? In the end the only people they are fooling are themselves.

Wishful thinking only the people that do it know why. Some people will go to all sorts of lengths at the end of the day they only make the wrong name for themselves. I have a friend who is known as Anderson the rumour is he writes his fishing notes before he does a session bless him. There have been a few weird instances over the years it does not register with us all any more Know days we just say well done and leave it at that. He is a very competent angler.

mick b

Reaction score
Yes it will but why do people do this ? In the end the only people they are fooling are themselves.

It is all about how they think they are perceived by their friends and colleagues, they want to be known a a successful angler and catching lots of big fish increases their (perceived) standing in their social group.

Same reason why they MUST have their photograph taken WITH the fish, to PROVE it was them that caught it...sad isn't it?

If they lived alone on a deserted island they would give a jot.

Last edited: