Are you the gregarious kind.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I openly confess I am not of that ilk, much prefering the company of one or two close friends. This has nothing to do with secrecy, though I expect there may be those who may think so. If we are honest about ourselves we all have to a lesser or larger degree quirks/ idiosyncrasies, that may irritate others. This obviously leads to a lack of harmony, and it's that aspect I try to avoid like the proverbial plague. Which is why I tend only to fish with people I have known for some time, and who follow the same bankside ethics as I.

Well what about you, chosen company or anyone, or are you that mysterious creature the loner?

slime monster

Reaction score
one of the attractions to angling isbeing able toparticipate alone ,with freinds ,or in a match competing. even when i was match fishing i enjoyed days out in my own company driving miles and then hiking down river to a favourite swim and selfishly not having to discuss it or make joint decisions with anyone on where i was going or how long to stay, i think there is a lone streak in most anglers.

F

Fred Bonney

Me too, I think?

I've been drinking a 6 % tonight so maybe, I wasn't on my own though !/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I must be schizophrenic, in that I enjoyed club match fishing, with all the banter involved, and trips with a few regular fishing mates, and lately my son, but I also enjoy fishing alone. This year the poor weather has led to a new tactic, only going fishing when it is wet & windy, when it is possible to be the only person on a popular commercial.

It is amazing the wildlife you see when in this situation, and it makes you realise just what an impact just a few people can have on wildlife.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Gary, you have just identified one of the many reasons I feel as I do. I expect certain codes of conduct from those who are with me,just as they are entitled to expect them from me.

Bankside etiquette for want of a better word is vital if we are to ensure continued access on certain properties/ land. Just another nail in the coffin if we choose to behave cavalier and ignore the priviledges we now have.

And yes wildlife is an integral part of the whole picture of angling, fur feather and fin. Never seen any of the above carrying lager cans or frozen deadbait packets.

Reaction score
When I first moved up to the wild and untamed North (alright Stockport) I joined a small club and enjoyed the craic and the company. A small group of us regularly fished together. As marriage,divorce, death, taxes and children bit into the group, we fished together less and less. For the last few years I have been a loner, not so much by total choice but because none of my other friends fished and I'm a miserable s*d!! I didn't fish matchcs any more - by choice..and the regular holidays in France made me realise that scenery and environment were as/more important than catching lots of fish. I shunned popular venues because of the misbehaviour, litter, and I'm a miserable s*d.

Then I discovered FM...and I have got company I enjoy both on the bankside and in discussing issues....

Mind you I'm still a miserable s*d - just more socially miserable!

Now *** off Gibson and stop delving into the deepest recesses of my psyche....unless you're offering me a day out /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney (ACA - BS- BTO) wrote (see)

"I've been drinking a 6 % tonight"

6%? One step away away from pop, that is, Fred.

I'll fish with anyone (within reason. I mean - not the nutter with a spam tin that insists it's a bomb). Reason being, you fish with someone new and he (or she - with luck) might turn out to be the best ever friend you'll ever have in life.

I embrace new company, except Fred, who always brings weak beer with him. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

W

Wolfman Woody

How did I get that size of text up?

Sorry lads, put your glasses on.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I fish with my Dad fairly regually. We normally end up fishing the same swim or right next door. Probably not the most productive method but we enjoy it and it's not always about the fish you catch.

I also have a mate who I go with fairly regually. We're on a similar wavelength and refuse to take many of our mates fishing because all they want to do is bring an 8pack. Some else my age who actually respects the countryside. We normally manage to settle on a place to fish together even if after different species. ie he wants to go for carp at the moment but I quite fancy trying for more perch. So we're planning a trip to a commercial which is meant to have good sizes of both.

When I go on my own I feel as I'm really concentrating and working on my fishing. I think this is when I learn most. Unless of course I'm with someone more expericanced then myself.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Nice response Christian, I think you have it about right mate. A good trusted angling friend is a treasure, and as you say being aware of where you are and the surroundings is all part of thatmagic tapestry.

Good luck with the perch, kind regards Derek.

F

Fred Bonney

My company is myself generally.

I do like the company of a fellow angler, I will not impose myself in his space, but I will welcome him into mine, whether invited, or not.

I suppose that makes me a loner.

One great friend of mine, is never allowed out with me fishing though, and that is a good pint of proper beer, and you don't find that in bottles or cans, Jeff /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

I like a bit of company when I'm fishing - Something like IBM or Microsoft will do fine.

NIGE K

Reaction score
i have a mate who fishes with me occasionally but when hes not allowed to fish im a loner dont get me wrong i would fish with other people but because ima little bitquiet and shy i dont meet anyone to fish with but i do like my own company im sad arnt i.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I'm a mixed fisherman, just like most on here. Enjoy going with mates or on my own. This has been the case since I first started fishing. Also enjoyed fm fishins, meeting up and having banter with complete strangers, and none more stranger than some fm members.

I have also learnt a lot from fellow fishermen, and strangers at that. Plus I have helped fellow fishermen, again complete strangers.

So long as we all respect each other and whats around us.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I dont mind if i am fishing with friend's, or with someone for the first time.

I do enjoy a morning here and there on my own, that doesnt happen much these days.

When the rods come out, my sons start getting ready for a trip. In a way i think myself lucky that my sons still want to spend a day or even a few days fishing with their old man, and some good times we have had.

Respect for others on the bankside,and for the landowners land we are on.

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I dont mind if i am fishing with friend's, or with someone for the first time.

I cannot wait to fish with Spiders, I should learn a lot from him

I do enjoy a morning here and there on my own, that doesnt happen much these days. </blockquote>Thankyou Mr Clarke, at last some respect./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Philip

Reaction score
I pretty much fish alone, I can literally count the number of times I have fished with others in the last 10 years on one hand. I occasionally agree to sort of fishing/picnics by a bit of water with some of my non fishing friends to give them the chance to take the p*ss out of me or I take a non angler for a day to show them “what its all about” but again only occasionally.

I don’t consider myself antisocial and I like a good chin wag with a keen angler as much as the next bloke but the problemis I don’t like the idea of someone else messing it up for me. I have always tried to resist fishing with the crowds and the idea of sharinga swim or have someone else fishing really close is not appealing.

I guess if I boil it all down, I like the idea of like minded company but I don’t want the inherent restriction that it brings…I guess itsa no win situation really...

Reaction score
Many years ago ( about 30 ) I fished with a great group of blokes , we fished for tench , bream, pike then we started on carp in a big way , turned into a mini specimen group shareing ideas on baits , rigs and waters.

Then it started to get silly and bitchy , secret squirrel stuff and I pulled out , it was takeing the enjoyment out of my fishing .

Since then I have fished in the main on my own , not on purpose , its just the way its turned out , a lot of anglers that I do know only fish commercials which is not really my style , but I do meet up with a regular bunch of roach anglers on the river when Im pike fishing , top blokes and I do enjoy the FM fish-ins that I attend ./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
When i`m on my own I feel I do slightly better as I put more effort in and notice alot more movement on the water and while waiting for the beep on the bite alarms im always making up rigs an modifing them, plus after a hard week of work its just nice to chill out fully. So yes i`m a bit of a lone ranger but I love it .