Fishing in France

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
For all you regular visitors to France to fish what are you looking for?

What are your basic requirements and what little touches or extras make your favourite venue that little bit special?

Is it just the fishing thats important, the size and quantity of fish caught?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Cas en Lac I really did enjoy, caught only a couple of Bream but watched Fatty Dennis and ugly Rik catch some belting fish. The lake itself really is stunning, I’ve not come across another like it. Very well run by the owners too. Its not rammed with fish but they are of very good quality. Very mature surroundings. I highly recommend it.

Cas en Lac

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Was it the scenery that made it for you then Wol. What was it that made it well run in your opinion?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Not so much the fishing but being in such a stunning place, i loved it mate. A pretty village just around the corner for all your needs. Swims were very well spaced out indeed unlike many French waters. Shower room was very very clean and plenty of hot water. The wildlife mainly the birds in the huge wooded area behind me had me looking through my bins no end of time. Moved to a new swim on the very last night, single baits to some bubbling fish. Hooked one up within the hour and boy did it go. Unfortunately i lost it but really was not that bothered, spent the night sat under the stars, loved it.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I have taken my fishing tackle with me to France for at least the last 10 years, although I have never been to France on a fishing holiday, if you get my drift.

My requirements are for a gite, with fishing on site, or nearby, with the opportunity of catching a few fish, early or late. Have had a few good ones from the Brittany ferry brochure over the years.

Most cater for carp, but my most enjoyable was a gite on the Dordogne, with good mixed fishing

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Thank you Wol and Gary for taking the time to write posts directly linked to the question.

Any more thoughts please.

Reaction score
When the boys were younger it was access to a wonderful little complex in the Charente with a small lake on site, full of carp from pastie to about 8lbs. Leave your rods set up - go out for the day somewhere..come back pick up a rod, walk 10 yards and be fishing!

Now I look for the rivers and the scenery. Fishing the Lot in the company of deer, buzzards and red kite, fishing the Adour at dusk as the woods opposite became alive with calling green woodpeckers as they? roost, fishing the Lantouy - an intimate little trout stream and being ignored by the trout but catching chub and roach. The steepling cliffs as the Lot cuts through the Massif Central and then the Quercy Limestone Causse

Laughing and sharing ideas with French anglers - as I struggle with the speed of their speech, regional dialect and they struggle with my pronunciation!!

Solitude, beauty....I even learn to love poisson chat.

Noting new waters you may fish next time... visiting the beautiful city of Albi, its stunning cathedral. walking over the middle bridge leaning over and watch barbel in profusion over a gravel bar in the Tarn - and already planning for next year

And the food, drink and wonderful,hospitable French people(and the Madiran Wine when in Gascony and the Marcillac wines when in the Aveyron)

B

Bully

......when I eventually buy my lake in France I'll let you know!

As WoL says, Cas was super. I'd add that I want to avoid too long a journey, so Cas was OK (about 5 hours from Calais).

I think the ability to make you believe you are in the middle of no where is important for me...........I just sleep for 7 days!!

Reaction score
Ah.... avoiding the long journey! Living up North has always involved either a haul down to Portsmouth (land of my father etc) or to god's own county...or Kent as some of you know it.

Then it was an expensive ferry journey to St.Malo/le Harve/Caen - and still a relatively lengthy journey at t'other side...or a cheap trip to Boulogne/Calais and a mega haul.

Then I discovered the motorail....bargain bucket ferry/vomit comet prices available from Dover to France....plonk the car on at Calais and pop off at Brive, Toulouse or whichever destination you need.. Yes there are problems...the train leaves on a Friday night so you've got to factor that into your leave request..and you don't arrive back in Calais until a Sunday morning....so if you live up t'North it's a long haul from Dover...get home, empty car, crash out and work next morning ..so what!

But Poshers I hear you cry, motorail is tres expensive...did you nick some of his Lordship's finest silver when you visited Furkham Hall?

Sit down and work it out....look at the ferry costs (especially on the long haul routes), build in the fuel costs driving down through France - now build in the tolls, now build in the stress of the drive (especially if you decide to start your holiday on the last weekend in July or the first weekend in August when all of France goes en vancance at the same time)

Think about it....actually don't.. otherwise it may become harder to get a motorail berth

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I just sleep for 7 days!!

Do you sleep any better over there Bully.

This is a serious question so keeping on track would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Interesting thread Richard,

Oddly I don't really relish visiting the "known" venues - like Gary my fishing tackle comes with me. I like discovering the"unknown".

The key factor is visiting an area I want to go to - and significant rivers in the area is an important factor. If I can get a property with access to river frontage then whoopee - this summer I got a property with river frontage to two rivers. But access to glorious countryside, interesting historical sites(I am after all a sad g*t historian) and wine producers.

What mystifies me is that the adverts etc are almost all lake based and the thousands of miles of rivers, with the exception of the big cats on the Saone, are ignored. From a selfish point of view - good.

Have considered whether, when I move to France, if there was a market for a guiding service but I suspect it would be limited and other ways to earn a crust will be necessary.

Philip

Reaction score
I think it’s been able to fish nice places without the crowds. The fishing is not always easy and there is not a monster in every puddle as people sometimes seem to imagine but for the sheer variety of wonderful unspoilt places to go, I love it.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I know this thread is not on the Carp section but so far trips to France seem more about 'chilling' out and enjoying the scenery, countryside and the french way of life. Is this the case for those who have not posted?

Or is it the quality and quantity of the fishinggame?

Rickrod

Reaction score
hello richard

For me its a nice bit of fun fishing take very little tackle on the day with me.chill out enjoy the scenrey and the SUNSHINE the friendly smiles from the locals fishing totally unspoilt rivers love it

gerry h

Reaction score
sunshine ,quiet ,wild untouched rivers,wild untouched fish,bottle of vin rouge by your side,anticipation ofthe unexpected, love it

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I am off to France on a carp lake next week, I have chosen it for its relaxation not its fish.

It has smaller fish than some, but the catches do seem to be enough, from the reports, to give some fishing interest.

I am going on a holiday, to sit by a lake with friends, have a couple of bottles of beer, not get stressed, and land a few fish.

If I was serious about a "BIG FISH" then surely going to france where they grow bigger is just making it easy?

F

Frothey

laid back fishing and cheap red wine.....

If I was serious about a "BIG FISH" then surely going to france where they grow bigger is just making it easy

the fish aren't neccesarily easier to catch - most of the holiday venues are as pressured as the uk ones - but there are more big fish. so if you do get a chance, it might be a bigger one. still plenty of people who have been going to france for years and yet to have a 40 though......

theres also venues in the uk where you could spend less and still have the chance of a lump though

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Frothey apart from the chance of a big fish due to the stocking policy what are the factors that make you want to go to France regularly. Surely it is not just the laid back fishing and red wine. Do you take time off fishing to enjoy the sites and culture?