How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
10 fished our interclub match today at Tring on the GUC.
Mild to start with but got chillier as the day went on.
Drew end peg 1. At 13m wide I was on the widest section of the pound. A small bush overhanging was my only feature so I fished @ 11m with punch. Bites from the off but small roach only. Then it died so I fished worm down the track and kept missing sailaway bites, the roach were just picking up the tail of my worm although I did hook a couple. Back across on punch and it was slow with occasional roach. Their feeding spells seemed to only last 10 mins then die off again. Caught a few more in the last hour.
12 roach for 2lb 5 oz got me 2nd overall.
Winner next peg with 7lb 6. Incuding 2 big perch and a decent skimmer + bits.

How did you get on?

nicepix

Reaction score
Should have gone Friday but the weather caused postponement. Couldn't go yesterday so made do with today despite an overnight frost and clear blue sky :(

The swim I planned to fish was a no goer down to a couple of local anglers basically fishing out of their van right where I wanted to park. Parking elsewhere would turn an almost 600 metre hike into nearer an 800 metre one so I went elsewhere. Settle on the neck end of one arm of the big lake and set up a 2.75lb tc carp rod, bolt rig and GLM boilie under the trees on the far bank. Once that was on the rest and alarm on I started fishing with a slightly lighter tc rod, centrepin and 2 x SSG float with popped up maize on the hair. After a couple of hours I saw a patch of bubbles near to the ledger bait, then an arrow signifying something had spooked the fish. I left it five minutes then changed to a pineapple boilie on a running rig just off the same place.

After another couple of hours of nothingness I tried 2/3 of a GLM boilie on the float outfit and cast it beyond the baited area into the middle of the arm about 40 metres out. I'd just started packing away all the bait when I had one of those "Why is the float doing that?" moments before it slid away and I connected with the only fish of the day.......

So, that was that. One bite in five hours.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Just one fish, a pristine scale & fin perfect 1.5lb chub from the Upper Soar near Narborough,Leics on trotted bread, nothing on worms but it's now raining again.

The Runner

Reaction score
Blanked ! Charity Teams of 4 on the Slough Arm which was generally gruesome. Top 5 were in a line on the first five pegs at the station end with 5-9 of punch roach winning it from peg 3, 5-3 from 1, 3-3 from 2, and pegs 4 & 5 both with around 1-4. Two weeks ago these pegs produced quarter of an ounce between them.
I was two pegs from the other end at the marina. With an hour to go I think only two tiny perch had been caught in my section ,but then Gary Young on my right started picking up some micro roach tight to the far side behind a boat's rudder. I decided to keep looking for a skimmer as started to get a few bubbles coming up over both groundbait lines, but nothing happened.
Team still won though as my three teammates all won their sections (overall winner, a 1-2-8, and a 0-3-8 of eyeball perch.) Top weight from the gate to the marina, usually the better half of the length, was Gary's 0-5...

More importantly though, £2,488 raised for the Shooting Star Childrens Hospice with probably a bit more to come. Thanks and well done to all.

daji

Reaction score
Hi Nicepix. when you say an 'arrow signifying something spooked the fish' what do you mean?

nicepix

Reaction score
Hi Nicepix. when you say an 'arrow signifying something spooked the fish' what do you mean?

It's an arrowhead shaped wake caused by a fish just under the surface. There is usually a slight bulge at the head of the wake depending how big and how fast the fish is.

daji

Reaction score
It's an arrowhead shaped wake caused by a fish just under the surface. There is usually a slight bulge at the head of the wake depending how big and how fast the fish is.

Thanks for that. That is what i thought you may have meant but thought i'd still ask just to clarify. :)

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Went down to our lake to set up some feed bins then fished dead baits until the driving rain and very cold wind drove me off!:(

Two runs though, a 17-04 and an 18-12 to brighten a very unpleasant afternoon.:) The big females are getting ready to spawn.

Ear ache and sinus pain in the side facing the wind was the price paid, cured by a bath, a fire in the hearth and a couple of glasses of deep red magic juice from the Rhone!:w

Stu

bullet

Reaction score
Got out in a brief weather window on Thursday. Had a couple of chub on bread,
including this one which looks like it's done well for itself over the winter.
015.jpg

View image in gallery

...and this one

Last edited:

sampras43

Reaction score
5 carp from Lizard Lakes fishery, west Drayton, including a 14lb mirror that pulled my rod into the lake..;-)

I was 5 or so feet away on a call of nature, and for no more than a minute. Stupidly I forgot to change baitrunner setting or unclip bailarm. Rod went in and I only just managed to grap the butt that was a couple of inches out the water.

Landed the fish though.

neil1970

Reaction score
Down the Colne at Ricky today.

I lost a chub while Simon was setting up his float rod, and after feeding a bit of mashed bread he caught a nice one of 4lb 12oz on his first chuck, with a pinch of bread:thumbs:

Five minutes after my last cast, at 5.30pm, I landed a rainbow trout (2lb 11oz):eek:

Very enjoyable day.

Here's Simons fish.