Self imposed Close Season

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The close season is looming [states the obvious].

How many of you have turned up to a venue where your target has been spawning and you have promptly turned round and gone elseswhere to leave them to it?

nicepix

Reaction score
It happened to me last year. The carp had all spawned and were back on the feed and had been for about two or three weeks then for some reason I haven't fathomed there was a second spawning that seemed to be purely common carp, no mirrors amongst them. It didn't happen the year before as far as I could make out. Anyway, it put the mockers on my planned session.

daji

Reaction score
i'm not sure i would recognise spawning behaviour. what should i look out for?

sam vimes

Reaction score
i'm not sure i would recognise spawning behaviour. what should i look out for?

Pre-spawning usually involves small groups of smaller male fish following bigger females around like lost lambs. You can often tell when they aren't too far away from spawning when a hooked fish ends up being followed right to the net. When I first see this happen, it's a sure sign to stop targeting the species concerned.

As for full on spawning mode, you shouldn't be able to confuse it for anything else. Fish get right amongst the marginal weed growth and thrash the water to a foam.

terry m

Reaction score
I am cool with the closed season, the break is actually quite welcome for me after a tough winter.

I have witnessed spawning fish on several occasions, but not when I was actually fishing.

I understood that it was post spawning that the fish fed heavily, whilst during spawning they were understandably pre-occupied.

benh

Reaction score
Not so much gone elsewhere as simply changed my target. I generally fish two rods, one purely carp tactics, and then a float or feeder for silver/tench sport. Several times i have arrived to find carp spawning, and simply gone all out silver tactics instead.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are many anglers that will not fish for fish of any specie when they are clearly spawning. But sometimes the fish are just going though the motions as the conditions are not quite right for them to go all the way. When they do get going they throw all caution to the wind it never ceases to amaze me and I will sit for hours and watch the antics. Some times other species will come in and make a feast of the spawn while the spawning is going on.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've seen carp when the breeding is happening at one small lake - I fished it and caught rudd - the carp weren't interested about feeding and I couldn't have caught one if I wanted too