Still learning.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was talking to one of my match fishing friends today about the match he fished on one of his club waters yesterday and he told me that a member in the club fishes for the Ide that are in the water with mepps spinners. I did not know they were predatory. I know they fish for bream in Holland with double bar spinners. Always something to learn.

mick b

Reaction score
In Holland in the '70's I saw a guy catch a 3lb plus Roach on a spinner, and my Dutch mate sent me photographs of Ide he has caught on lures.

If its hungry and your baits in front of it, it will have it for sure!

Once had a double figure Pike from Wilstone on a lobworm..:eek:mg:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In Holland in the '70's I saw a guy catch a 3lb plus Roach on a spinner, and my Dutch mate sent me photographs of Ide he has caught on lures.

If its hungry and your baits in front of it, it will have it for sure!

Once had a double figure Pike from Wilstone on a lobworm..:eek:mg:

When Iused to fish the Met pit at Cheshunt we always fish a live or dead on one rod and a bunch of lobs on the other cast into the rushes some days we caught more pike on worm than lives or dead's

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've had a few Bream on lure's from the river Witham, not small ones either. A fishing mate also had ''one'' that surprised us all, that fish was taken on a nine inch ''Creek Chub Pikie'', fairly hooked in the mouth too.

In the late sixties whilst fishing the Weirpool at Topcliff Mill, I had a double figure Pike take half a link of pork sausage whilst ledgering for Barbel. For a while, I thought I'd latched into the mother of ''all Barbel''. Many examples like this, but I refuse to ''wobble'' a link of sausage for Pike :).

Also, back in the late fifties a Dutch angler Franz Domhoff published pictures of some nice Roach he had taken on fly spoon's, it's a never ending jigsaw.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Here is a lure caught bream from just a few weeks back. Taken from the Chesterfield canal on a small balsa minnow. It can be clearly seen in the picture, still in it's mouth. Had another and lost one. First lure caught bream for me in 50+ years of fishing.
ytamyby9.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is a lure caught bream from just a few weeks back. Taken from the Chesterfield canal on a small balsa minnow. It can be clearly seen in the picture, still in it's mouth. Had another and lost one. First lure caught bream for me in 50+ years of fishing.
ytamyby9.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I bet you thought you had hooked a plastic bag. :)

---------- Post added at 04:43 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

I've had a few Bream on lure's from the river Witham, not small ones either. A fishing mate also had ''one'' that surprised us all, that fish was taken on a nine inch ''Creek Chub Pikie'', fairly hooked in the mouth too.

In the late sixties whilst fishing the Weirpool at Topcliff Mill, I had a double figure Pike take half a link of pork sausage whilst ledgering for Barbel. For a while, I thought I'd latched into the mother of ''all Barbel''. Many examples like this, but I refuse to ''wobble'' a link of sausage for Pike :).

Also, back in the late fifties a Dutch angler Franz Domhoff published pictures of some nice Roach he had taken on fly spoon's, it's a never ending jigsaw.

It often makes you wonder if we know as much as we think we do. Perhaps we should be more adventurous in what we use and where we use it.

john step

Reaction score
I once saw bleak escaping from a predator at Appleford weir pool on the Thames. Thinking it was a perch, I used a bleak as livebait only to catch a 4lb barbel.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I once saw bleak escaping from a predator at Appleford weir pool on the Thames. Thinking it was a perch, I used a bleak as livebait only to catch a 4lb barbel.

I once watched a angler catch barbel by design on the Dorset Stour using minnow.

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I once watched a angler catch barbell by design on the Dorset Stour using minnow.
On the river Swale in Yorkshire the practise of using minnow as bait for barbel was employed fairly often, especially in the early weeks of the season when some good catches could be made. I dont know if its still a widely used method, but it certainly was back in the early sixties.

mick b

Reaction score
On the river Swale in Yorkshire the practise of using minnow as bait for barbel was employed fairly often, especially in the early weeks of the season when some good catches could be made. I dont know if its still a widely used method, but it certainly was back in the early sixties.

Pete Frost used to catch Tench using live minnows and a very successful barbel angler I know catches some splendid fish on the same bait.

As its the highest available natural protein source, no reason why not?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pete Frost used to catch Tench using live minnows and a very successful barbel angler I know catches some splendid fish on the same bait.

As its the highest available natural protein source, no reason why not?

When you think about it all the fish eat fish meal baits so as you say why not the unprocessed article.