free stretches around stafford

blagoobs

Reaction score
Ho guys. Anyone know any free stretches of river or canal around stafford or derby as I live in both.
I would be happy buying day tickets but I can only fishfor half day slots etc...

Any advice would be great. Regards.

Steve2020

Reaction score
There are a couple of free stretches of the sow in Stafford. There is the stretch from the town park that runs from the crem behind homebase to the park itself. It runs behind the bowling alley then down to sainsbury's. There is also the stretch that runs from the old tesco in town down to the cricket club and down the side of alstom St Leonards works, it then carries onto the Baswich Lane area. It's a very temperamental river at the best of times but I get a lot of satisfaction catching from it as it's virtually on my doorstep. I'd recommend you get a day ticket from Frank Holt for the stretch at Brancote which is under the control of Stafford Izaak Walton angling club, you'll have a good day there if you pick the right conditions ie: normal river level and fairly warm water temperature.
As for canals in an around Stafford I'm pretty sure that most are under control of fishing clubs, I know Izaak Walton have most, they have a fair few miles of the staffs worcs and the Trent & Mersey. Where bouts in Derby are you? The Dove is supposed to be very good but can be very Peggy, there's the Trent at Newark Notts that has a very good reputation for big barbel, bream, chub, pike and Zander.

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

Last edited: