If you were to start from scratch today what would you buy?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If for whatever reason you lost/broke/had stolen all your fishing gear what would you buy assuming you have the money?
Let's take it as read that you will buy hooks, shot, floats ect what big items would you buy?

I'd go with Preston C tech 12ft feeder rod, Preston Excel 13ft float (I have these 2 so I'm familiar with them) and the Preston Carbonatie 11ft float for small swims
Shimano reels Stradics 3000 and 4000 sizes
Chair would be Korum accessory chair with the add on
Ruckbag by Korum
Couple of cheap carp rod ( I very rarely go for big carp)
Shakespeare mach 2 10ft wand feeder for winter shy bites

Now I've done that I realise I've got some rods to sell, anyone want a buy a John Wilson Avon, a garbolino rocket picker and a middy 10 ft. float rod - oh and a couple of Drennan series 7 rods and a seat box

carlosd

Reaction score
It's funny you started this, I'm having to start again!

And looking into things Drennan and Preston is catching my eye.

Going to have a look at local shop very soon has unsure what Drennan to use on steady river matches?

Keith M

Reaction score
God forbid that I would lose all my gear but if I had to start all over again the first large items I would replace would probably be:

My Drennan Acolyte Ultra Float Rod and my Drennan FD4000 front drag reel; and my pan type landing net.

Followed by my pair of Grey's Prodigy 1.5lb/2lb Multi-tip Specimen rods and Shimano 5000 series baitrunner reels and my 32" specimen landing net etc.

Followed by my pair of Grey's Prodigy Carp rods and my pair of 6000 series Shimano baitrunner reels; and my 42" landing net etc.

Followed by my Grey's Prodigy VX Barbel rod (Avon/Quiver)

I think that would cover most of the fishing I do today, however I would probably replace my Okuma Sheffield next LOL.

But no doubt It wouldn't be long before once more I ended up with more rods than I really needed (again).
Don't we all?

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I'd basically replace what I've already got like for like where possible, other than trotting reels, as there is precious little of that where I am now.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother, had to start from scratch before and the only reason I was able to replace my gear with top notch tackle was because I got lucky with a few cash payouts from work/insurance etc and to replace what I have now would cost me a fortune, I would definitely not set up with cheap ****...It costs more in the long run! :)

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Like Nicepix I would probably simply replace 95% of the kit I currently have (and am happy with).

The 5% that I would not replace would be the odd stuff that I currently own but never, or almost never use. Shudder to think at the cost though.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I'd basically replace what I've already got like for like where possible, other than trotting reels, as there is precious little of that where I am now.

Similar here, although my most used and therefore treasured rods tend to be between 5 and 20 years old with completely different characteristics and actions to most rods available today (going by manufacturer blurb). They were made in a different era for a different style to the modern commercial match scene. The average commercial carp then was probably around 2lb :)

Over 80% of my fishing is still done using mainlines between 2 and 6lb on my local rivers, canal and club ponds. Other than the odd break of the hooklength on the strike/ or snag, I have rarely felt out of control with my rods or reels.

I suppose the true nightmare in Lord Pauls scenario would be finding the equivalent replacement based on todays tackle.

The reels would be easy, but the rods?

aebitim

Reaction score
I have been trying to replace some broken rods for a while, does anybody have a John Wilson wanderer they dont want? A norboron 13ft? and the list goes on, only new rods would be Tricast or Barder