Spinning Advice

tookadum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Decided that this year I will give spinning a shot. I am pretty proficient in all aspects of fishing except this one.
My Mrs just got me a good selection of lures so I thought I may be able to make my mark.
Went on Sunday to a local canal and caught a jack pike (perhaps by accident!) on the second cast - then nothing for the next 4 hours.
Tuesday 5 hours of lobbing various lures / spinners around produced nothing on a lake where pike and perch are to be found.
Today I went to the LACC section of the Grand Union Canal at Leamington / Warwick for 5 hours and again blanked, I used just about every lure / spinner / jelly there is!

So, perhaps I am expecting too much but I thought it might have been a little easier than it is!

So the questions to those of you who are able to catch fish with spinners / lures are as follows:

1 Am I fishing at the wrong depth ? I think I covered all depths.
2 Is it too cold yet for spinning to be effective?
3 Am I perhaps a little premature i.e.Is it the wrong time of year ?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Water clarity is more important than water temp imo. It's fishing. If they are feeding you'll catch them, if not, you won't. You could have easily blanked bait fishing too!

keora

Reaction score
It sounds like you have covered all the depths. Did you try using jigs, which you can let sink to the bottom, and then you bounce them up and down on the retrieve? I also find it useful when spinning to move swims after 10 minutes or so unless you get takes.

I fished a river this week and the water temp was only 5 degrees C. Lure fishing in winter is unpredictable and you can have blank days.

I wouldn't say it's the wrong time of year, but I've had most success spinning from September through to November.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Start before first light fish till 9 am go home come back at 4pm and fish till the light goes work your lures as slow as you can with the odd jerk and if you get a follow do not slow down if anything speed up or try a quick jerk. Good luck.