What should I do ?

Philip

Reaction score
A recent thread got me thinking…I guess many of us have all been in the situation were a non angler knowing about our interest in angling finally decidesthey want to have a go &ask tocome along for a day to “see what fishing is all about”.

When I agree to a request like this I am always in a quandary as to what sort of day I should arrange. Should I take them to a carp puddle and sit them behind buzzers or perhaps trotting on a river, of feeder fishing or even fly fishing…or or… I want them to get something out of the day and also instill a sense of what it is indeed all about.

Has anyone got any suggestions and for anyone who has had a similar request, what did you do and why ?

keora

Reaction score
Take them toan attractive,well run commercial still water fishery with a variety of species, and ensure he /she gets lots of bites during the session.

Call me old fashioned, but I think the novice should use a float rod, reel and floats rather than a pole.

River fishing is a bit more demanding and you could easily spend a session without a take - as happened to me yesterday while barbel fishing.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
What you are trying to do is get the guy interested in fishing.This not only entails catching fish one after the other but all the other elements that go to make up our sport.For example,I recall taking my son out for thr first time so I tried to make it as exciting as possible by taking him out in a big punt on a private lake where you could see the fish moving around.Yes,he caught fish and enjoyed the day BUT really he was bored after a few hours.I tried again by taking him night fishing where he slept under canvas and had breakfast in the open air.I even took a friend of his along BUT the same result-he was bored BECAUSE it just seemed to be the same thing-catching fish and putting them back.(He now drives a Yamaha around tracks at 120mph so fishing was never going to be his bag!!

What I'm trying to say is-take the guy to a commercial as suggested by Keith 2 and let him catch a few fish-perhaps from early morning-and see how he reacts.He might just hate getting up early or handling maggots or whatever-who knows......

I think what you can only hope for is that he phones you and asks TO GO AGAIN!!!

If he is the type(and we all 'see' different things when we go fishing)that appreciates what goes on around him over a few trips and doesn't mind sitting quietly on his own or wants to chat for 10mins in the quieter moments I believe YOU will know if he will(eventually)make an'angler'

Nice to see someone is doing this sort of thing-let us know how you get on....!

Tommo!

Reaction score
When I take potential anglers fishing for the first time I let them fish and I don't even set up.

I learnt this the hard way as with a total novice you need to bait up, watch the cast, untangle line, remake rigs that end up in trees, unhook deep hooked fish, net fish, keep feeding and enjoy the time and the look on their faces as they catch.

I always take them to an easy water and really don't have time to fish myself.

However new fishing companions are often made and when you pass on your knowledge you know that they shouldn't end up as the guy in the next peg that bugs the s"£t out of you.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I also agree with Kieth.......exept for the bit about running line, a good silvers water with the odd smalish carp on a small pole will provide loads of fun for someone who wants a taster and results without to much techno.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I think Tee Cee makes a good point that making the fishing itself just part of the overall trip and including something like a boat or sleeping out or whatever can really make a difference. I also agree with Tommo that catching something is also pretty key as a bite less blank are going to do nothing to dispel the average non anglers belief that fishing is boring and we are simply garden gnomes who sit for hours contemplating our navels.

A commercial does offer a nice compromise situation…easy access, toilets, bites and so on and these would be a good venue. However I wonder if being too successful and catching too many or too large a fish on a first trip can actually work against you as it sets unrealistic expectations against which future trips are gauged?

Perhaps I am a bit biased as I guess like lots of others I blanked trip after trip when I first started out but I was still as keen as ever and it made even the tiniest Roach seem special back then.

slime monster

Reaction score
like paul i would not fish and would set the pupil up with a whip to hand fishing maggot for quick results ...if this is enjoyable and exciting to him/her you have a potential new angler .

pez

Reaction score
In my opinion i think rod + reel is best for learners on a small lake/commercial were they can catch small roach,rudd, perch and if lucky enough a small carp.Teaching them how the reel +clutch works and casting etc is some thing all anglers should learn and in my opinion isthe best method of fishing. Once they have gained enough rod+ reel control take them on a river, so much nicer than any commercial/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gifthats how i learn't. Im 41 and if i catch a stickleback and avoid the blank its so much better /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
why not set them up with a 5m whip, at 1st if they like it then move them to rod and reel, if not then it's no loss to who ever owns the whip as they are very cheap. No point spending alot of money if they don't go again.

keora

Reaction score
I wouldn't take a raw novice fly fishing, for the simple reason that fly casting can be hazardous for someone who's learning. The problem is that the fly can hit the angler's face on the back cast if it's not done right. Gusty wind is also a hazard.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Rather depends where you live - there are plenty of places in the North and West of these fair isles where you'd be hard pressed to get anything but fly-fishing!

Anyway, that'd be several good lessons for day one: One, that hooks are sharp. Good ones, anyway.

Two, that polaroids and a stiff-brimmed hat are necessities, not fashion extras, and not just from the safety point of view.

Three, that if it's windy, you make dam' sure the wind is coming across your body from reel-hand to rod hand, blowing the line away from you, until you can cast across your body.

Four, that barbless hooks come out far more easily than barbed ones. With fish, this can be a bugbear - occasionally. With flesh, clothing, and nets, it's a boon.

Makes it feel more sporting if there's an element of risk! (?)

Philip

Reaction score
Actually Alan judging by the number of times I have been asked “do you eat what you catch?” I recon the majority of non anglers think I automatically club everything on the head.

One of the things I would want to portray to a potential new angler is the idea of returning what they catch and that anglers do look after their fish. For example when I have shown a non angler an unhooking mat and tell them I stick a fish on that and then pose with it for a picture they think I am clinically insane. Usually they follow this up by saying something like “can’t you just throw it back “? …which always conjours up images for me of spinning round with a fish like an Olympic discus thrower before launching it out into the middle of the pond./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

So although I take your point, for me, it would have to be a catch and release trip, at least to start.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I guess the ideal scenario would be to have a try for chub and gugeon* on a river in the morning; stay on the river if your friend is catching, but have a commercial in mind to switch to in the afternoon/evening if they're not.

*The likeliest species to give sport near me. Could well be different where you are!

Philip

Reaction score
Thats actually a really good idea Alan, I haver neverconsidered two different styles in one day...good point !