• Thread starter Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt
  • Start date

Day Breamer

Reaction score
''Shocked Peter staggered to a nearby house to get help''

No runs then?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Such accidents are surprisingly rare aren't they and though it is oft published that you should never pull a stuck line towards you we all do it without a thought for the consequences, its only aterwards we think - Hmmmm! that was a silly thing to do.

I did it at Linear last week, my float was stuck in the tree and I tugged till it broke the hooklength but the float gave me a fair old whack on the hand as it flew back, serves me right I suppose but show me an angler that has never done it!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Watch out for the pole floats that get caught up.

A pole float travelling towards you after being powered by no 12 elastic is like an arrow from a bow.

Capable of killing and quite honestly this very fact is what puts me off using a pole.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"A pole float travelling towards you after being powered by no 12 elastic is like an arrow from a bow."

Which is why Ron if this happens you submerge the pole tip as far as possible before pulling to either retrieve or for a break!

C

Colin North, the one and only

When pulling for a break, I always keep a slight angle at the rod/pole tip, not sufficient to break the rod/pole but enough to send any lead or float away from me. Also, as Peter says, keep the tip down, under the water if possible.

Never pull a pole straight towards you, since the opposite effect of the flying float can be very expensive, when the top three goes flying into the water like a spear. I've seen it happen twice now.

catch

Reaction score
dont fancy that happening to me /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif i once seen in local paper a lead in someones eye socket ( x- ray ) i hate pulling for breaks .

Morespiders

Reaction score
Good job it was a Korda leadclip, or the lead may have broke free inside him.

F

Frothey

my dad used to make a float for floater fishing (back when people had to make stuff!) out of a big6 swan avon float by wrapping lead around the bottom of it. once got it snagged, hooklength broke and it flew back missing my head by an inch or two and buried itself in the tree behind. could've had my eye out!

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Thats what really happened to Harold in 1066 he was pulling for a break and got a sea lead in the eye,and it was not considered a very good way to die, so history reflects a death more fitting to a king in battle.

KAR

Reaction score
I'll be a little more careful next time I pull for a break now!

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Is this really true? They had to open the guy's chest to get the lead out. What was the impact velocity required to get the lead to penetrate several inches? If it is true you don,t need a gun any more.

KAR

Reaction score
Tackle thefts will plummet after this. You never know whos got a 3oz lead in there tackle box.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I was pike fishing onthe river Brede with a plug, as the plug was about to touch down it twisted and wrapped around the trace. Sods law, the moment I went to retrieve the plug it was taken by a pike, the rod doubled and then the pike let go, the lure flew back towards me and bounced off the top of my hat. Pretty lucky I think, a couple of inches lower and I could have ended up plug ugly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"a couple of inches lower and I could have ended up plug ugly."

As opposed to, naturally ugly Ray?

Look, if you keep on giving me these lead in lines, (sic) you can hardly expect me not to take them, especially against a supporter of that "other" North London club.

You know the one Ray - those who have played 3 games for a total of 1 point - now, what's their name again??????

[insert HUGE joking thing - - - - > HERE]

PS keep that 20 nicker handy Ray, Cakey says he's sent yours already . . . . . . .

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
What a lucky chap indeed. I`d say he has a case for the british record caught on a rod. Next time I get a snag, I shall remember hide behind my bivvy or tree just incase it rockets back. I couldnt make out by the xray if he was on boilie

C

Cakey

mfln56l.jpg