Are We Fit to Frack?

mick b

Reaction score
Copied from the report in todays newspaper.

"The Avon

The Hampshire Avon is one of England’s most iconic rivers.
Its rich ecology, including salmon and trout that are highly prized by anglers, relies on cool, clear groundwater from an underlying chalk aquifer.
England is home to 85 per cent of the world’s chalk streams and the Hampshire Avon has the highest levels of legal protection in an attempt to preserve this unique habitat.
Despite the unique character of the Avon, Government are considering licensing the area for shale gas – with associated risks from pollution and water abstraction."

My question to all F M members;
Is this an attempt of the Government to balance their economy by selling off National assets (as Thatcher did with North Sea oilfields) or do they see England's wildlife as an irrelevance?

Answers please.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The only possible license I am aware of in our area is the one for NorWest Energy (Au) and that is in or around Bournemouth, see:

Norwest Energy - United Kingdom

. . . and we already have Wytch Farm that has been there for close to a generation already and the newer Wareham Field and Waddock Cross field.

Offshore from there the licenses are currently under reapplication, with no guarantee of being granted.

Parenco hold the license a little further West, but even that is due to expire at the end of this month, and I doubt that they will reapply either.

I am as deeply concerned as you are about the Hampshire Avon Valley so i keep a close watch on the Companies involved.
To date however, there has not been cause for concern.

Last edited: