First Question Of Many!!

pratty117

Reaction score
Hi All
I am looking to purchase a couple of new rods and reels. Having returned to fishing for the first time in 13 years at the moment I am enjoying feeder and waggler fishing on my local Stillwater.I am not targeting anything specific but love float fishing for roach and use the feeder for bream, tench , carp etc. I am happy to spend up to £120 on the rods and up to £60-£70 on the reels. In a nutshell I'm looking for a float rod (short to medium range) that is suitable for silvers but could also handle the odd rogue heavier fish. and a feeder rod (short to medium range). Any recommendations for both rods and reels in a balanced set up would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Adam:)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
welcome to the forum !
Aren't they all very similar anyway once you go above about 50 for a Rod or 30 for a Reel , for the lighter feeder and waggler rods anyway.

I'd be interested in why people think you should pay more ? Then again I am a happy splodger not a full on serious angler like some of the guys on here - best of luck will read the thread with interest.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Benny

I've bought cheaper reel in the past and found that I've worn them out after a year or 2
my Shimano stadics are still going strong after 5 or 6 years use

as for rods
I think there is a top limit where you see little extra for the money Preston c series rods and C tech rods are £130 range but are well balanced , capable of handling bigger fish and don't ahve any flat spot (or I've not found any)

pratty117

Reaction score
Cheers Chaps
Have had a look at the shimano exage range. Which would you recommend or will the same model do both feeder and float? (obviously not at the same time!!) Also what are your views on the Shakespeare mach xt range? or the map range of reels? Rod wise the neoteric xs power float from korum looks a good bit of kit for what I'm after and the preston c-series feeder rods look good too. Apologies for all the questions!;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I bought a map reel - it lasted me a year before the drag went
I have the Shakespeare Mach 3 RD reel - cracking reel for £50 - 3 spare spools and option of handles
I use the Stadics in 3000 for float and the 2500 for feeder for carp as it holds more line

the size of the reel will depend on how balanced it feels with your rod and the size of the water you intend to fish

pratty117

Reaction score
Might avoid the map ones then!!
Would the Shakespeare reel be ok for float and feeder?
The shimano ones do look good value.
It'll be short to medium range for both float and feeder. More short for the float really. Lines in the region of 3 to 8lb. Would like to use the method feeder too. Had some success last week with that. At the moment I am using two old match rods which are 10 and 11ft. One is a Shakespeare and the other is a Sundridge. I have a decent Shimano Aero Gtm reel with the fighting drag system that cost me £80 back in 1994! This just feels far to heavy and unbalanced with the rods I have. Just after all round kit that can cope with most things really. I don't intend to target carp above 12-15lb.
Cheers
Adam:)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If you have a decent local tackle shop pop in and ask to try different combo of rod and reel

And if you are spending on 2 rods and a reel ask for discount or some line thrown in

pratty117

Reaction score
That's an idea before I part with any cash. My local one has very little in stock. Anyone know of any helpful ones in my vacinity? Don't mind travelling. Bath, Bristol aren't too far away.

denzinho

Reaction score
That's an idea before I part with any cash. My local one has very little in stock. Anyone know of any helpful ones in my vacinity? Don't mind travelling. Bath, Bristol aren't too far away.

Welcome to the forum mate,

I use this one which is packed with stuff, it really is a well stocked shop and the owner Colin is very helpful.

Premier Angling - Portavon Marina , Keynsham Rd , Keynsham BS31 2DD

It does depend on where your coming from though. There are a couple of good ones in Bristol.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
keep a lookout for sales after christmas .
bob co at leeds have 20% off shop prices on boxing day and can save a great deal of money and p&p is £1.99 .
as people have put some good ideas for you , there's lots to choose from out there.

pratty117

Reaction score
That's great thanks for the tip. Keynsham isn't too far so will defo be worth a visit. :)