Holland

acbruce

Reaction score
This summer we're going on holiday to Holland - a Bungalowpark on the Zuider Zee. I've been told that fishing is allowed on the boating waters around the park and that there's quite a mixture of species in there. I wouldn't have room for much kit so am wondering which rod to take to cover as many angles as possible. Should I invest in a travel rod if so, any recommendations? Does anyone have experience of fishing in Holland?

As ever, any pointers gratefully received.

john step

Reaction score
This summer we're going on holiday to Holland - a Bungalowpark on the Zuider Zee. I've been told that fishing is allowed on the boating waters around the park and that there's quite a mixture of species in there. I wouldn't have room for much kit so am wondering which rod to take to cover as many angles as possible. Should I invest in a travel rod if so, any recommendations? Does anyone have experience of fishing in Holland?

As ever, any pointers gratefully received.
Holland is one huge fishing peg. Travel rod/ JW avon travel is good.Will do just about everything.One fixed spool with various spools of line. Take sweetcorn tins and soft pellets and 1kg mini bilies to get you started. Hard pellets for feed. If you have enough luggage space take groundbait and feeders. If not don't ignore sloppy bread in a cage feeder. There are plenty of tackle shops in Holland. Public waters licence obtained from post offices. Enjoy.

acbruce

Reaction score
So you seem to be saying that feeder rather than float is the way to go? And yes, I'd had a quick look at the JW travel rod. Seems to be just about the only one of it's kind.
Really useful, many thanks.

nicepix

Reaction score
So you seem to be saying that feeder rather than float is the way to go? And yes, I'd had a quick look at the JW travel rod. Seems to be just about the only one of it's kind.

The JW Travel Avon rod will comfortably handle carp up to around 15lb in my hands, but has struggled to control larger fish especially at the net where it lacks power. That's not a critisism, after all, its designed more for chub, bream, barbel, etc, but it might affect your choice if you intended targeting carp on the Dutch canals.

I also have the Youngs Travel Barbel Avon and that might suit your purposes better. It is a soft action rod that will cast a 2oz feeder and handle bigger specimens than the JW Avon.

You could get both for around £100.

john step

Reaction score

The feeder will be useful for the numerous bream in Dutch lakes. My experience of the lakes over there is that the are often interconnecting channels and canals that can be enjoyed on the float and are more intimate than the HUGE inland seas that some lakes are. You can use a slider as some of the barge carrying channels are quite deep. Pix is right about the rod for big carp although I would ask if it is a family holiday and fishing is snatched between other activities will there be time to wait for bigger carp. Unless it is a genuine all out fishing holiday carping is probably is a no no? Having said that, there are an awful lot of carp over there.

Last edited:

mick b

Reaction score
When I was there in the mid '70's I saw Roach to ver 3lb caught on Voblex spinners and some Bream that would have weighed over 20lbs.....:eek:

Those Bream still live in my memory, if you'd have laid them on a dustbin lid (old galvanised type) they would have hung over the edges......staggering fish, and I don't even like Bream.

You will find the Dutch people very welcoming and helpful towards you, just google up the nearest tackle shop to where your staying, give them a ring (they all speak good English) and ask them for advice, and ask if there is a local angler who could give you some on-site guidance when you arrive.

Their predator angling has some very strict close seasons and bylaws so a bit of local advice is the way to go imo.

Personally I would forget their river Carp, the rivers are huge and the megga sized barges shove up piles of water and the truely wild Carp have muscles and energy to match the currents.

I would go after Ide (a sort of Chub/Roach but a genuine predator) they can be caught on spinners and softbaits, but the locals are really the ones to ask.

Spro is one of their big tackle brands and the prices are 10% or more lower than here, and the sheer variety of brands is out of this world.

I know you will enjoy it, just wish I was going with you.....:D

acbruce

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice and info chaps. Yes, it is a family holiday and fishing wiil be snatched and on the waters that surround the bungalow park ao probably won't be venturing out onto the bigger waters.
Thanks once again.

john step

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the advice and info chaps. Yes, it is a family holiday and fishing wiil be snatched and on the waters that surround the bungalow park ao probably won't be venturing out onto the bigger waters.
Thanks once again.
I hope you enjoy your hols. Let us know what you catch. One thing though...the problem with the Netherlands is that they have the same climate as us....take some waterproofs!!