First week of close season. How did you get on?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Very pleasant day today. Sunny with a chilly breeze.
5 turned up for our club knockup on the GUC Dixons gap.
Most members were fishing near Reading on the K and A .
Started off on the far shelf with punch. Bites were one a chuck but the gudgeon and roach were tiny, almost see through. I caught about 50 then my elastic decided to snap and disappear down inside my topkit.
Must have been worn as it certainly wasn't the fish...
I had earlier fed my down the track line with 3 balls of GB and chop and caster. Stuck it out for 3 hours. 3 bites on worm section, 2 small perch then a very welcome skimmer around 3lb that won me the match..
Nice day out..

How did you get on?

carlosd

Reaction score
Was very close to go out but few jobs stopped me!

Congrats on your win! Might go to the canal Wednesday.

B

binka

Avoided a blank by the narrowest of margins!

Enjoyed a day yesterday with a mate on an unfamiliar gravel pit, I reckon the lack of a single other angler along with clouds of passing overhead cormorants should have held a clue but the going was hard to say the least.

I fished a chopped worm and groundbait feeder and thought I was on to a winner when the rod was practically wrenched off the rest after around half an hour by...

A 1lb hyrid! (and it had maul scars)

My mate fished a sleeper rod for carp/bream along with a maggot feeder on his other rod but failed to get a single bite in eight hours which meant twenty four rod hours between us for a single bite!

Still, I enjoyed one of the nicest bankside kips around midday for the best part of an hour after reeling in and sitting back in the sunshine until I woke myself up snoring...

Best make that twenty three rod hours.

I'm still arguing the point that I actually caught two fish as it was a roach/bream hybrid but my mate's having none of it... :rolleyes:

Well done on the win Simon :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
No fishing for me this weekend. Spent most of today chipping endless roach & sardine scales off my rods/reels and washing everything trying to get rid of the stink of deadbaits before packing the zander gear away until next autumn. In a fit of unbridled enthusiasm I then sorted my trout & tench gear out ready for some proper fishing when the water warms up a bit.

I'm not a close season zealot but it will be trout for me now until June time.

neil1970

Reaction score
I was on the canal for 2.5 hours today.

2lb line on the daiwa harrier 123, 0.6 gram float, size 20 hook, single red maggot/punched bread on the float rod.

8lb line on the daiwa regal, chopped worm feeder, size 16 hook, half a worm and a boyant fake maggot on the tip rod.

22 fish no bigger than 6" on the float rod, 2 roach, 2 gudgeon, the rest bream.

Nothing on the feeder rod.

Tiddler bashing paradise:p

Last edited:

carlosd

Reaction score
I was on the canal for 2.5 hours today.

2lb line on the daiwa harrier 123, 0.6 gram float, size 20 hook, single red maggot/punched bread on the float rod.

8lb line on the daiwa regal, chopped worm feeder, size 16 hook, half a worm and a boyant fake maggot on the tip rod.

22 fish no bigger than 6" on the float rod, 2 roach, 2 gudgeon, the rest bream.

Nothing on the feeder rod.

Tiddler bashing paradise:p

I'm worm hunting tonight ready for the canal Wednesday far few Perch and Roach mainly!

Carl

neil1970

Reaction score
Went out to the same spot for a good few hours this afternoon.

After a few tiny bream, I sort of lost interest, but it was good day nonetheless and it turned out to be more social affair with a fellow fisherman, and a couple of boaters who were moored nearby.

The boaters informed me of a cormorant that rips through the water every morning, so I'm thinking that the place has changed a bit for the worse, since I fished it last year.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished a local gravel pit yesterday with a friend (we were the only two there – 8am-3pm) quite chilly in a strong cold NW’erly with the water still pretty cold. Again nothing but a snotty on the deck rod, any feeding carp seem to be predominately up in the layers. Four decent carp, and a long distance release, up in the water..............

mick b

Reaction score
Last day.....fished until just before dark, locked the gates and had a fish and chip supper.

Spent half of Saturday enjoying a dim sum brunch, the remainder watching the six nations.

Sunday developed a dreadful cold, still manage to clean and store my rods tho.
Same for Monday and Tuesday.....in bed all day....ugh:eek:mg:

Today felt like a million dollars.....cleaned out the car, mowed all the lawns and planted a birthday rose.
Now going to cook chicken&mushroom fried rice for my Lady..:D

No fishing for me until the Bass recover their condition and 'Duffer's Fortnight' is history..;)
Tho I could be tempted if the silver tourists run aplenty:cool:

Chrz, :w