My own personal revulsion

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
How many reading this will have experience of this modern phenomenon of fish with names from certain waters. Carp, Barbel, Tench, Pike, yes even my own particular favourite the Pike. I find the whole concept repugnant.

I was told by a very experienced Barbel angler over the weekend, that this very situation is becoming even more frequently encountered down on the Trent. Declaring ''we will soon be catching fish with ready made hook holes'', god when will it end. Need anyone ask the reason why Gibson avoids the most popular venues with their inevitable hot areas.

Please don't tell me I'm a miserable old bugger.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

You're right Dek.

The barbel anglers are copying the carp anglers in every way. The laughable thing about barbel anglers is that they are making all the same mistakes that the carp anglers were making in the 70's and 80's. They haven't learned a thing.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
True Baz - only thing now they need is their own monthly mag BARBEL WORLD - sad buggers to a man

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Though I have been trying to catch a carp called "The invisible" for 4 years now - my pal keeps saying - "He's there on the top - cast a dog biscuit to his" - and still I've yet to spot his - but I try every time my mate points his out to he - you don't think he's having me on do you?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Even up here (the bleak proper North East) photographs of big barbel are being doctored and known fish claimed with the odd added lb.

So pleased I'm just a lowly chubber.

I invented 'grumpy' canI join?

Deanos

Reaction score
I know just what you mean lads!

I fear it will in a short time enter the world of Gudgeon fishing, I really do!

Would you like some gossip lads?

WELL!

I was fishing the Swale yesterday with a "very well known" angler off the site.

As usual I was tooled up properly for gudgeon "the prince of the stream", 10lb line, 1 & 3/4lb test curve rod (the gudgeon are BIG in the swale...up to FOUR INCHES), ANYWAY.....I was getting a few bite indications, and reeled in to find a grand specimen had hung itself on a size 8 hook...the GREEDY LITTLE BASTARD!

The well known angler was absolutley LIVID at the end of the session I can tell you!

He had a couple of crappie chub, best being a good four and a half pound.

BUT NOT ONE GUDGEON!

They are all after the Gudgeon on the Swale, it wont be long before they get names beleave me lads!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Stradic's no good for gudgeon, Mitchell 300reign supreme, then again a bit if no how doesnt go amiss.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I would love to have the money to own a lake, stock it with a number of carp over 60lbs and open the water on a day ticket basis.

Rules would be as follows:

1: No night fishing.

2: Only one rod allowed per angler.

3: No boilies

4: No pellets

5: No bolt rigs.

How wonder if anyone would want to fish the water and if did, how would they tackle it?