hair rig tube

tc1

Reaction score
when using a hair rig what is the difference in using a piece of tube to trap the hair near the bend of the hook.

is it better to do this with braid than mono or is it just personel choice, as in some people thinking it improves the hook hold

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I use shrink tube on the hook it holds the hair rig in place and 3/4 of an inch up the line but the main reason is to protect the fish as I fish braid and some waters say braid is not to enter the fishes mouth.

tc1

Reaction score
thanks guys, is there any other views on my question about the tubeing on the hair.

C

Cakey

because I have 100% faith in my knotless knot

ps not the knotless knot thats in all the books !

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
I`ve not long been up cakey, I guess this is one of your secret rigs. I`ve never landed a catfish yet where my hook has set behind the pads just inside there mouths, always in the top or bottom lip, as they run hard and a lot of pressure is put on there mouths, where the braid will cut into the fish, this is why I use a little shrink tubing plus a slight kink can be formed with it apparently making the hook set easier or is this mith

C

Cakey

go and wake them up then !/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

tc1

Reaction score
thanks for the help, but i am not on about the shrink tubing at the bottom of the hook im on about the tubing that traps the hair in place on the outside of the curve of the hook.

C

Cakey

for carp ?

I dont use either forthe bigger"hinge" effect the better

of course this is only my opinion and works for me

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that for a small bait - pellet or mini-boilies - you'd want the hair coming off the bottom of the shank, or even the bend, so the hook can more easily follow the bait into the mouth; whereas with large baits, the priority ison ensuring the hook can't easily follow the hook OUT of the mouth, so you want the hair coming off mid-shank? Or have I grabbed the mucky end of the stick as usual?

By "hinge" effect, Cakey, do you mean the hair hingeing on the hook-shank, or the hook + aligner or stiff-bit hingeing on the lead/ main part of combi-link?

C

Cakey

the theory is when the carp blows the hook is left behind.................