Not Fracking Fit

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I don’t think for one moment that we will stop fracking"

Neither do I to be quite honest, and I've been in the businees for over 35 years!
However, I will be happy to see and comply with any new regulations that have a sound basis in fact in the given area and not some pie-in-the-sky arguments from the USA based on wholly different geology.

One question though, why on earth do you show a map smothered in black dots representing conventional drilling to support your argument against fracking?

Other, of course, than to divert the eye from the truth of the matter being the limited licensing undetaken to date?

Take away those black dots and you have an altogether very different picture . . . . . . showing just the previous round of licensing and the proposed 14th round of which there is not all that much interest at the moment, particularly in the South where the 5 major chalk streams are concened.

Last edited:

martinsalter

Reaction score
As ever Peter you look for conspiracy theories that aren't there. The black dots are a nuisance and actually detract from the substantive point, made clearly in the article, that the proposed areas for licensing in the 14th round correspond to the majority of the chalk aquifer in the UK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As ever Peter you look for conspiracy theories that aren't there. The black dots are a nuisance and actually detract from the substantive point, made clearly in the article, that the proposed areas for licensing in the 14th round correspond to the majority of the chalk aquifer in the UK.

Not looking for any form of conspiracy at all Martin, simply looking for clarity and correctness in a world that appears to be clouded in obfuscation.

The 14th round has not really been a great success to be honest, from anyone's standpoint.

In fact several companies in the South are returning licenses and others just not applying for extensions thereby allowing licenses to lapse.

We had a similar set of conditions back in the 80's in the North Sea for the UK and onshore in Canada at the same time.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I have to agree with the comments about the black dots - the map on the who looks like a 6 years old has got hold of a black felt tip and run amok with it over the map making understanding the map difficult to say the least

laguna

Reaction score
After the initial assessments are done and regulatory safe guards put in place; who will police and prosecute the transgressors, and who will benefit for not doing so?
There is a huge potential to line some pockets at the expense of the environment and public.