Multipler rod use.

flightliner

Reaction score
One, two, three , four, where do we draw the line?
is it right that some guys can seemingly hog so much water space so others have to look elsewhere or is it all ok?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the water, stock densities, methods employed and consideration for others.

Much as the use of four rods goes against the grain, as using three does to a lesser extent, I will do so when circumstances dictate. However, the water concerned is a thirty acre gravel pit that has never, to my knowledge, seen more than nine anglers at one time. It's a regular occurrence to be there all on your own. It's also home to very few fish, the chances of double hook ups are very, very slim. However, on a different water, as conditions dictate, or with certain methods, I've no probem with fishing with two or even one rod. On a massively overstocked commercial, I consider two rods to be excessive, especially when one of them is being used for float fishing, pole or rod.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As Sam says, a lot depends of the size and type of the venue.

Typically on most club Carp/Tench lakes I will only use 2 rods, but on a large Carp venue with space then 3 rods is the order of the day.

In France where there is a lot less anglers fishing on Carp waters then 4 rods it is . . . . . .

The bad one

Reaction score
Old School me, max of two. My club has a two rod max rule and it does have some large waters under its control. It keeps the vast majority of members happy, as it doesn't get the problem you are talking about.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have on occasion fished four rods on low stock syndicate waters as did the other members, there was never any problems with encroaching on other anglers as the swims were not that close together.

Flight isn't there a law that says you must be in control of your rods or something like that? I seem to remember an angler being prosecuted for being asleep while his rods were fishing, that should override any lack of club rules or common sense by members.

sagalout

Reaction score
there isnt any such rule
Our club specifically states that you cannot fish outside of your swim if it encroaches on other anglers. I would have thought all clubs/syndicates would have to have such rules to avoid chaos.

thecrow

Reaction score
I think that it all comes down to courtesy and common sense whether it is a problem or not, something sadly lacking nowadays.

On one syndicate I fished there were only 2 rules, litter in your swim belongs to you regardless, the other was don't p*** other anglers off, it worked a treat.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Our club specifically states that you cannot fish outside of your swim if it encroaches on other anglers. I would have thought all clubs/syndicates would have to have such rules to avoid chaos.

I think that it all comes down to courtesy and common sense whether it is a problem or not, something sadly lacking nowadays.

On one syndicate I fished there were only 2 rules, litter in your swim belongs to you regardless, the other was don't p*** other anglers off, it worked a treat.

The water I occassionally fish four rods doesn't have any defined swims. If you can cast to it, and safely fish it, without impacting on anyone else, it's fair game. There are no rules regarding defined swims, or pretty much anything else. We simply don't need them.

cg74

Reaction score
The water I occassionally fish four rods doesn't have any defined swims. If you can cast to it, and safely fish it, without impacting on anyone else, it's fair game. There are no rules regarding defined swims, or pretty much anything else. We simply don't need them.

That only comes about as a result of the anglers concerned having mutual respect for each other. Where there is less or none and it's inevitably on busier waters, rules should be brought into play.

From only casting to areas within the confines of one designated swim on more spacious lakes to only casting directly infront of you and only to midway across the water on tighter fisheries.

It is sad that rules like this need implementing but such is life.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That only comes about as a result of the anglers concerned having mutual respect for each other. Where there is less or none and it's inevitably on busier waters, rules should be brought into play.

Absolutely, and on such waters where that can't be guaranteed, I doubt that I'd use more than two rods. It doesn't have to be a question of rules, provided the patrons aren't inconsiderate. Personally, I don't much like waters that are so busy, or so full of plonkers, as to require such rules to be implemented. It's a rare joy to not have defined pegs, platforms or divvied up sections of proscribed water. Don't even get me started on the kind of places where you have to book a defined swim. Even wors,e the kind of place that people camp out behind you until you leave.

The use of anything up to the maximum allowable, in law, number of four rods need not be inconsiderate or unsafe. An idiot weilding a single rod can easily be both.

thecrow

Reaction score

Hence the 2nd rule of 2 that I mentioned, it was common for other anglers to ask where you were fishing to prior to them starting to fish, never had a problem other than failing to catch one of the biggest carp in there.

terry m

Reaction score
Others have made the normal valid points, courtesy and control of rods are important.

On club waters, in my experience the rules dictating rod numbers permitted give consideration to water size, swim numbers and positioning.

As long as rules are not broken, courtesies are observed and it is likely to benefit my fishing then I will use as many as three rods. I have no compunction about doing so.

flightliner

Reaction score
Big waters, just day ticket or season permit but not club or syndicate run dont in some circumstances give guidance on the use of multiple rod use.
There have been the odd occasion when either my line/s have been crossed by someone more than a hundred metres away casting parallel with the bank we were both sharing.
So the bank was pretty tree lined obscuring the casters veiw was even more reason why he should have checked first that his intended spot wasnt occupied:eek:

thecrow

Reaction score
Big waters, just day ticket or season permit but not club or syndicate run dont in some circumstances give guidance on the use of multiple rod use.
There have been the odd occasion when either my line/s have been crossed by someone more than a hundred metres away casting parallel with the bank we were both sharing.
So the bank was pretty tree lined obscuring the casters veiw was even more reason why he should have checked first that his intended spot wasnt occupied:eek:

Common courtesy goes a long way in preventing problems before they happen.

flightliner

Reaction score
Crow, yes, you, re right of course. As said before, if no one is presant nearby or you are the only angler on the water then its fair game to throw where you wish but a simple check first or withdrawing your gear to more acceptable distances if another angler turns up nearby is showing due consideration to others. Its doing nothing when problems could occur