Rod tubes...what choices?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have decided, after all these years without a breakage I need to carry some of my better rods in tubes following a spate of minor damage to some, probably to do with age I wouldn't wonder...
I was in my only localish tackle shop this morning (having a damaged rod guide replaced) and I asked about tubes to then be shown this thing which looked like a length of drainpipe with caps either end and 3" dia or so. It weighed a ton and cost £6!

I appreciate it does hold two rods or a Pole (so I'm told) but I'm looking for a single rod tube and definitely on the light side so can anyone give me a few suggestions on what meets this criteria....
Surely fibre glass would be lighter of a very thin wall plastic jobie??

As I say, weight is the issue and cost is not an issue as it's a one-off purchase..

Any ideas chaps??

Thanks

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Skip.,
I use a Greys Pro-Logic rod carrier.

Before I leave home I set up my rod, reel and end gear, wrap the hooklength around the reel (centrepin), far easier than struggling on the cold windy river bank.
I keep the sections together with a couple of those elastic cord and sliding adjusters that you find in the bottom of worn out fleeces, the carrier also has a hard bottom cup and a velcro retainer 3/4 the way up plus a full length dual opening zip.

As my set-up is worth nigh on a grand its very important to me that I don't damage any of it (perish the thought:eek:mg:).

But Im glad to say the Grays carrier is absolutly superb for the job, I got it for £9 second hand in the bargin corner of my local tackle shop, another reason why I always call in if Im passing :D

robertroach

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same situation, looking for some decent rod tubes. I bought a Shakespeare rod recently and it came in a perfect clear plastic tube slightly oval in shape, light and strong. Unfortunately Shakespeare, or their distributor will not sell them seperately. I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes if they were available.

sagalout

Reaction score
The plastic tubes come in differing sizes I have used the 2.25 inch diameter clear one from one of the big tackle brands and found it strong and light. I am going to try and find an example online.....

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Stop worrying about me, I'm back, couldn't find the name but chapmans have a good selection going down to 1.75 inch diameter

Buxoplas Rod Tubes – Chapmans Angling

sam vimes

Reaction score
I no longer use plastic tubes other than for long term storage of older rods. Pretty much all of my newer match/feeder rods came with dedicated cordura tubes. They are fully labelled as they come. No doubt that they are just plastic tubes wrapped in cordura, but they are a little more elegant.

I'm afraid that I've never encountered fibre glass tubes. However, were I in the market for plastic, I'd probably be looking at the Leeda green tubes. The caps on these are as secure as any tubes I've come across and are less easy to lose than some others. They also come in different diameters. Ted Carter Green Plastic Pole/Rod Tubes - Ted Carter Leeda Rod Tubes Green - Ted Carter

There are also more basic clear tubes available in diameters of less than 3".
Fishing Rod Green Tint Plastic Tubes Standard Size 6ft | eBay

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
sagalout.......for the average two piece rod (say, for barbel etc) is a 1.75" tube big enough or do I, in your opinion, need to go to 2" for this particular type of rod??

Not too much weight I take it??

I don't want to buy bigger than necessary.....I like small and neat..

Sam....same question on dia and weight as above...............I really do want as light as possible!

Must be top quality for that price!!

Thanks for the help anyway..

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Favourites are the narrower clear PVC tube type, but also use the larger diameter black plastic "drainpipe" style ones to carry two identical 2 piece Avon style rods in without problems - a snug fit, but so long as both are put in or pulled out at the same time then no risk of damaging rings etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
sagalout.......for the average two piece rod (say, for barbel etc) is a 1.75" tube big enough or do I, in your opinion, need to go to 2" for this particular type of rod??

I don't want to buy bigger than necessary.....I like small and neat..

Everything hinges on the size of your butt...............ring.;):D
The smallest diameter tubes I have (for match rods, in their rod bags) are 2.5". I wouldn't want to squeeze any of my barbel rods into anything much smaller. Having just tried, I can just about squeeze one of my Fox barbel rods into the 2.5" tube. However, it's a multi-tip job, to get it in I had to remove it from its bag and put just the butt and one tip section in the tube. Even then it left only half an inch or so to play with. I feel that better protection is offered if you can put the rod into its rod bag before going into the tube. It stops the sections clattering into one another and also rattling on the sides of the tube.

sagalout

Reaction score
Leeda, that's the name I couldn't think off.

I keep my Berkley barbel rod in a 2.25 inch tube, the butt ring is the tight bit (as the sailor said to the bishop). I use a 2.5 inch tube for 2 * 2 piece match rods. When I have a long walk, I use a 3 inch tube to take 2 rods (barbel and pellet waggler) and me landing net handle. This tube I have fashioned a handle on using a length of old cotton sheet rolled up and gaffer taped on, very comfy, I have also thought about gaffer taping an old shoulder strap to it.

mick b

Reaction score
Tee-Cee,

Have you ever thought that part of your problem was trying to stuff all your fishing gear into a tiny sports car.......:eek:

Surely a transit would be more practical even though you would have to accept a serious drop in street-cred.......:D

The alternative is obviously a section of bog standard grey plastic drainpipe with a screw-on inspection cap on each end and a ex-suitcase handle pop riveted in the middle.
Served me on the majority of my overseas trips until I acquired a Bazooka rod tube.

Last edited: