Fishing baits

mvwales

Reaction score
Does anyone know if tackle shops make much money selling things like ground baits, attractors, dyes, bollies, pellets, hemp and corn etc or is it some thing they have to sell and then rely on people buying more expensive items like rods, reels etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Generally speaking, the biggest percentage mark ups are on the smaller and cheaper items of tackle and bait. That's the reason that some small local tackle shops aren't stocking too much in the way of rods and reels, especially top end stuff. They know that they'll get hammered on price by the big players on the net. Better to turn over lots of little bits than get stuck with higher priced items. When it comes to poles, particularly top end stuff, tackle shops make surprisingly little percentage mark up. Bulky and/or perishable stuff, like baits, are an absolute godsend for tackle shops. Not much in the way of competition, no one minds much if such items are fractionally more expensive locally and postage tends to kill the option of buying the odd kilo of groundbait or boilies on line. An indication of this sort of thing in action is the way that some tackle shops have taken to selling maggots as a loss leader, at around a pound a pint, just to get some footfall through the door. That sort of price might suggest how much mark up there really is on a pint of maggots.

mick b

Reaction score
I refuse to be ripped off by anyone, tackle shop or whatever.

My fav hook is £1.45 for ten in both my local shops......I payed £0.68p for ten (inc. P&P) after a detailed 'net search.

My disgorger is £1.20 in my local shops.......paying £1.20p (inc P&P) I obtained ten yes TEN :eek: on the 'net.

My regular bait costs me £0.31p a go compared to £1.40p in the supermarket :D

I purchased 500gms of Dendrodena worms online, built my own wormery and now have more worms than I can ever use.

If you have the time (and I realise its a big IF with some of you) there are some genuine savings available on the 'net, it just requires time AND determination.

carlosd

Reaction score
I only support local tackle shops rather than these online shop!

People that shop for everything online are the people who put shops out of business to save a few pence!

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with the online shopping but I like to walk in a local shop and see what I am buying

Plus I don't like waiting for the unreliable postman :)

Carl

john step

Reaction score
I only support local tackle shops rather than these online shop!

People that shop for everything online are the people who put shops out of business to save a few pence!

Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with the online shopping but I like to walk in a local shop and see what I am buying

Plus I don't like waiting for the unreliable postman :)

Carl
I also try to support the tackle shops but unfortunately whenever I go in for a specific common enough item such as size X animals eyed etc you can bet the rack will be devoid of the popular sizes. This happens with most small items.
It is just as prevalent with major shops that advertise nationally. You can get online products within a couple of days.

carlosd

Reaction score
I also try to support the tackle shops but unfortunately whenever I go in for a specific common enough item such as size X animals eyed etc you can bet the rack will be devoid of the popular sizes. This happens with most small items.
It is just as prevalent with major shops that advertise nationally. You can get online products within a couple of days.

I know what you mean on that side of it :)

Advise your local tackle shop they need a new person to do the ordering :p