Flavouring maggots

pratty117

Reaction score
Evening people
Am looking to do a spot of experimenting flavouring maggots. Have heard that turmeric is can be good? I've just purchased some dynamite baits liquid scopex and pineapple to have a play with. Any tips on how to best flavour the maggots? I have a new riddle and have bought some cheap atomisers to decanter the liquid flavours in to. Any advice really would be greatly appreciated. Am fishing for virtually anything but would like to have a crack at roach and tench.
Cheers
Adam

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't always flavour my maggots but when I do I just sprinkle a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of powdered flavouring into the maggots and give them a good shake; or if a liquid flavouring I put a few drops onto them and give them a thorough shake. But I don't overdo it; a little flavouring goes a long way and too much can sometimes be a repellant.

I have a couple of spray flavourings that only need a very small amount added to maggots, and you can smell them a couple of swims away (Blue Cheese flavour and a sickly sweet Wasp Grub flavour). Whether they really catch more fish is debatable but at least it gives me a bit more confidence LOL..

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Go careful with liquids on maggots as they have a tendancy of escaping your bait tub.

pratty117

Reaction score
Cheers Chaps
So powder flavouring is the way forward and go careful with the liquid.
Just wondered if it could boost catch rates. Will post the results when I next go.
Adam

chav professor

Reaction score
artificial boilly type flavours... pretty marginal, never seemed to have an impact.

I first started using Archie Braddocks surprise flavour range... initially red surprise. It is designed to dose maggots. It does work! Smells unlike anything edible..... but Mr Braddock knows his stuff. Red surprise works well when water is cooler.... Floral surprise seems to work better in mild/warm conditions.

Walkers of Trowell

Similarly, using Laguna SAC juice, 5/10ml per pint... give them a good shake and dust off with SAC powder. Pineapple is really good for silver fish...

LAGUNA FP | Pristex - UK Manufacturers of fishing bait and accessories, offering high-quality at great value

DSC_2459_zpsb78fdf3b.jpg

40lbofbreamandapachehelicoptorday029.jpg

matty w

Reaction score
I used to pour 2-5ml of flavour in a pint box along with 1/2 ml of sweetner, add 1/2 pint of maggots, stick lid on and shake, then leave for half hour. I then add a small handful of brown crumb and remove the lid so they dont sweat to much, there's ya hookbait plus a few for each feeder load.
Nowadays I tend to soak a few rubber casters in an old film canister that's got enough flavour/sweetener to cover them.

. . . artificial boilly type flavours... pretty marginal, never seemed to have an impact. . .

My experience is very different Chav Proffesor. I love 'em. I do agree with you on the Red Surprise for Perch. His Spice Surprise is a belter for Roach.

Last edited:

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I've caught thousands of fish on maggots flavoured with . . . . . nothing whatsoever.

laguna

Reaction score
I've caught thousands of fish on maggots flavoured with . . . . . nothing whatsoever.

Is that all? :rolleyes:

Actually I can agree.
Complicate it with artificial flavours - reason why some don't believe flavours work imo

House fly larvae, Chemical score (52*) with first limiting amino acid - Cystine
* Limiting essential amino acids (present below 30% mean fish requirement)

Real flavours work, same as natural and real food items work. They will always work and will continue to work.
Find one that works well naturally like maggot and increase its attractiveness with the first limiting amino acid and you will catch more!

Simple really...

pratty117

Reaction score
I guess it boils down to personal preference. I suppose a spot of experimenting is the answer. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but also the venue your fishing? If different flavoured baits have been introduced by the bucket load. Such as flavoured boilies, groundbaits etc for carp then I would guess you may have some success. In a nutshell there is probably no wrong or right answer on any given fishery?

chav professor

Reaction score
I used to pour 2-5ml of flavour in a pint box along with 1/2 ml of sweetner, add 1/2 pint of maggots, stick lid on and shake, then leave for half hour. I then add a small handful of brown crumb and remove the lid so they dont sweat to much, there's ya hookbait plus a few for each feeder load.
Nowadays I tend to soak a few rubber casters in an old film canister that's got enough flavour/sweetener to cover them.

. . . artificial boilly type flavours... pretty marginal, never seemed to have an impact. . .

My experience is very different Chav Proffesor. I love 'em. I do agree with you on the Red Surprise for Perch. His Spice Surprise is a belter for Roach.

Funny you say that, first time I used red surprise - emptied a small mill pool of perch! I suspect that 'flavours' help fish find the bait and bring it to their attention.... Archie Braddocks is pretty specific regarding his flavours/feeding triggers. Red surprise smells like nothing on earth that is edible. but a switch over to floral surprise makes a distinct difference in warmer water conditions.

regarding artifcial flavours - you add a sweetener? the artificial flavours are quite harsh (to my taste)... traditional boily mix requires sweetners/cajousers/etc to round off the desired effect..... does the sweetener improve the effect on maggots????

rubio

Reaction score
I think on this very forum I read a tip suggesting putting a few chopped lobs in with maggots. On the couple of times I tried it I thought it plumped them up nicely. And who knows maybe boosted their enzymes/lipids/something else scientific.
The best maggots i ever had however were some I found in a tied up bag of lucheon meat I used a week before. A happy if rather smelly happenstance that left me with around half a pint of soft greasy wrigglers that caught a disproportionally large number of roach rudd catfish and carp(up to 12lb)when on holiday if france/spain. Minimal loosefeed and a bite very chuck.
Oh for some more luck like that.

john step

Reaction score
I guess it boils down to personal preference. I suppose a spot of experimenting is the answer. Plus correct me if I'm wrong but also the venue your fishing? If different flavoured baits have been introduced by the bucket load. Such as flavoured boilies, groundbaits etc for carp then I would guess you may have some success. In a nutshell there is probably no wrong or right answer on any given fishery?

Quite right no completely right or wrong answers. Its correct as stated that overdoing the liquid flavours encourages escapees. A lot of anglers, myself included use dead maggots which are easily flavoured by putting a smidgin of flavour into a poly bag, rubbing it around then adding the maggots and then freezing them whilst alive.
You need less for feeding as they don't wriggle away. Done in 1/2 pint bags a bulk can be prepared They are then ready at short notice. Just add a bag to water in a bait tub and off you go.
Some folk may be disbelieving that deaduns work but they DO !!VERY WELL !!

chav professor

Reaction score
Dead maggots are very effective! Old left over maggots are riddled, bathed in fresh fine corn meal to remove the ammonia/sweat... sieved to remove the maize and then frozen. Always there when you need them.

Have a theory how flavouring maggots works in its crudest form (its not exactly a ground breaking revelation....lol).... just helps the fish detect them. This particular lake I fish has a particularly pungent muddy smell about it.

The powder/liquid SAC method I believe produces a cloud of attraction via releasing a casquade of feeding triggers....

regarding Rubios greasy maggots... perhaps a coating of grease gave a little buoyancy countering the weight of the hook (not to mention, a fair bit of meaty stink)..... but somehow, shonky abused bait does catch - especially if thats all you have with you.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
For the record I'm a humble pleasure angler.
I sprinkle some supermarket goodies on meat etc but believe that maggots are attractive as they are.
It's just the way I like to fish.

laguna

Reaction score
For the record I'm a humble pleasure angler. I sprinkle some supermarket goodies on meat etc but believe that maggots are attractive as they are. It's just the way I like to fish.
Nothing wrong with that mate. If ever you get the chance to use Krill powder or even belachan.... it is truly awesome used on maggots.

matty w

Reaction score
Funny you say that, first time I used red surprise - emptied a small mill pool of perch! I suspect that 'flavours' help fish find the bait and bring it to their attention.... Archie Braddocks is pretty specific regarding his flavours/feeding triggers. Red surprise smells like nothing on earth that is edible. but a switch over to floral surprise makes a distinct difference in warmer water conditions.

regarding artifcial flavours - you add a sweetener? the artificial flavours are quite harsh (to my taste)... traditional boily mix requires sweetners/cajousers/etc to round off the desired effect..... does the sweetener improve the effect on maggots????

CP, I got caught up in the carp bait syndrome when it burst on to the market in the early 80’s. Read everything I could get my hands on, made all my own mixes ( some right disasters ) etc. etc. But I learned an awful lot about what went with what and what didn’t etc. I’m not a carp angler but lots of big Tench were ( apparently ) getting caught on carp baits and that was the Tench anglers future wasn’t it ! ! ! . . .
By the mid 80’s I was back on maggot & caster with groundbait.

However, messing around with all the carp baits had opened up a massive can of worms that had to be explored. So I did. I tried lots of flavours, sweeteners, additives & assorted chemicals on maggots with varying degrees of success. Some of them stood out like a sore thumb.

I’ve tasted every flavour & sweetener I’ve used. Some flavours are naturally sweet but most taste nothing like they smell and have a really nasty after taste. Is this the solvent or the ingredients added to the solvent ? As most of them leave that afterburn I’d suggest it’s the solvent. Back in the early 80’s most flavours were on solvents of Isopropyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Ethyl Alcohol & Diacetin. The last is rarely used now as it’s cheaper to use Propylene Glycol or one of its derivatives, which is a shame.
Glycerol based flavours I’ve found to be very poor on maggots.

Some of these flavours work without sweetener despite the bitter taste that we notice. Therefore it must be down to the effect it has when in water and its water solubility. However, as most liquid flavours nowadays seem to be on Propylene Glycol or one of its derivatives a few drops of sweetener to take the edge off seems to work.
To save repeating myself I put a post in the "Tench and Bream Flavours and Additives" earlier this month which is relevant to this thread.

Regarding Archie’s gear. I didn’t do any good with his Peach Plus or magic range but in all fairness they didn’t get a lengthy trial. I did well with the spice & red surprise additives & the spice & red surprise flavours. An example is some years ago one September the missus & I had a float session on a club lake fishing adjacent swims. I didn’t tell her at the time but I flavoured her maggots with Red surprise & mine with Spice surprise. Her catch was predominately Perch, mine was Roach. Before & since across various waters the Spice surprise works for Roach & the Red for Perch.

My experience over the last 30 odd years has shown that different species do have different triggers/preferences.

All I can suggest is you pick a flavour you have confidence in and add a few drops of sweetener. Some are better than others. Fortunately there aren't as many bait dealers around now as there used to be when it comes to liquid flavours/sweeteners.

All the best,

Matty.

pratty117

Reaction score
Well at this stage the weather looks reasonably good for next weekend so I intend to have a bit of a play to see whats best. Am going to be fishing the maggot feeder and also trying the float for roach. Was going to start with pineapple and see what happens. May also try scopex or powder flavour with turmeric. Will let you know how I get on. Obviously one session won't be all that definitive but it will be interesting to see what happens. I'll go steady with loose feed on the float. Little and often to try and build up the swim and get the fish competing. Have been doing a fair bit of digging on the net and have seen one chap spray flavour in an empty plastic bag, scrunch it up, open it, add the maggots, inflate, tie up and shake. Any thoughts on this process. Also have ordered some john Roberts feeder booms to combat tangles. Not used these before. Any tips on rig presentation, hook length etc.
Cheers
Adam