Safety lead clip slip?

C

Cakey

Has Big Rik got it wrong this time ?
having just read he's lastest offering I think hes wrong with the swivel between lead and clip .
With swivel or without swivel let me know!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Cakey,
I use them with the swivel. Why don't you think a swivel should be used?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No, Rik is right Cakey. The clip is designed to take a size 8 swivel and most anglers make the mistake of not pulling the swivel in firmly enough. You know when you've got it right because you can both feel and hear it click into place.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey, I've just realised you mean the swivel on the lead. This doesn't make any difference one way or the other providing the swivel or wire on the lead is free enough to eject from the clip when the rubber sleeve is clear.

C

Cakey

Rodney
When I first used the clips I used leads with swivels and I had problems with my hooklength braid wrapping round the swivel and a couple of times knotted to the swivel.
I then went to one of Kevin Nash lectures and I put it to him,he said the clip was designed for use without a swivel.
Ive never used a swivel since and the problems gone.
Have a look at Nashy's 2002 catalogue theres a couple of pics of the clip in use and theres no swivel! !
Fox's new leads are brill, big loop no swivel.

C

Carp Angler

That's the thing Cakey, anything other than the new Fox leads and the loop isn't big enough for the lead to stay flat and it clips in too tight.
That's why I use leads with swivels on.
I know that with the swivel in place then there is some movement before the carp feels the full weight of the lead, but it's a compromise between efficiency and safety.

C

Chris Betts

I use the Korda version of the clip, I personally remove all the swivels from my leads. This is because I like to minimise the number of leads I carry. I also prefer leads without swivels for running rigs. However as Rik points out the lead loop is too thick without the swivel. To get round this I use mustad split rings, which work fine and can be removed when required.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I see now how you prefer not use the swivel, the reason I use one has been said above, I felt the wire on the leads was a bit too thick and found the lead came away from the clip easier with the smoother/ thinner guage of the swivel. Although the weights I used were old sea leads from long ago (my dad had loads of them made up from a mould) the modern coated leads are a lot smoother and the wire guage is less obtrusive, guess it's just an old habbit and fortunatly I've not had the tangle around the swivel yet (well not one that hasn't come free when being lifted from the water, more like occasionaly just going round and slipping back off when the rig is lifted out).

D

David Will

I am a swiveless angler , but most leads on the market do not work with safety clips as the wire loop is too narrow as bought. It needs to be widened otherwise it jams.De swivelling is for anti tangle purposes.

C

Cakey

The little knobbly bit that the lead (or swivel) clips over to lock in place should be cut down to make the clip an even safer safty clip.

M

Mike Fidler

There are a number of problems with this rig, which is why I very rarely use it. My main problem is the movement of the hinge affect, which is far too much movement before indication for me, and also why should we have to modify the damn things? Cakey also pointed out that other than with a very stiff hook length, it has an awful tendancy to tangle. Why not use a safe inline lead or better still the much underated helicopter rig which never tangles.

C

Cakey

Mike
The hinge effect is minimal if the lead swivel is not used!
The reason so many people use the clip is the safety factor i.e. lead snags it pulls off your still in contact with the fish and if the main line breaks the fish can easily lose the lead then the hook.
99.9% of my fishing is done on gravel pits which is hard on end tackle,inline leads landing on gravel damages the hooklength swivel or knot.
The helicopter rig is ok in theory but not 100% fish friendly when used semi fixed.

C

Craig w

I have had a few tangles with the swivels in place and have been cutting them off now for a while now and i dont think i have had a tangle since, and the lead can break free with ease still