drammes

flightliner

Reaction score
A look on the angling times record fish list shows nine record fish with "drammes" included in their weight.
Call me a pessimist if you like but how? Have I missed noticing that you can buy scales with drammes shown on the scale readout because I ve never seen any.
I can understand if someone looking at a scale needle sees it halfway between two ounce markings calling it a half ounce or eight drammes but how for goodness sake do you come up with one, two or three drammes?.:confused:

aebitim

Reaction score
good analogue scales are marked between the ounces, the weight can then be checked by adding certified weights until the reading is the same thus giving drms, not entirely sure its as accurate as it sounds.
Paul Grozier describes the process in Avon days and Stour ways.

nicepix

Reaction score
Flight' if you ever catch that potential record bleak from the tidal pop it round to a drug dealer's house and ask to borrow their postal scales. :D

jack sprat

Reaction score
Our club had, until the 80s when they disappeared, a set of beam scales from the 30s complete with a set of weights and could weigh up to 8lbs in 1/2 drams. The wooden box they came in, complete with set of weights, weighed about 20lbs so quite heavy to cart about on a match. I also remember Avon beam scales that could weigh in drams, which in those days of low weights were useful. I once weighed a minnow on the 30s set at 10.5 drams when the record was 13 drams.

flightliner

Reaction score
JS, I can fully relate to scales being graduated down to drammes in a match fishing scenario, it lends itself to it very readily I suppose, its just a mystery to me however that when a fish in the smaller species is banked that is an obvious specimen then from out of nowhere up pops the weight inclusive of drammes that never seem to be mentioned in larger species of fish, that and the fact that any scales that I, ve seen for sale to anglers just dont have them on the readout.
If ever a record fish was claimed that was bigger than an existing one by a dramme or two I, d be a little sceptical of the claim to be frank.

NP, record bleak from the trent--- its been done, If it ever happened again in the future on one of my rods it would be returned pretty sharply with a treble hoping for a zander !!!.:D

jack sprat

Reaction score
What has happened with some records is that say a crucian is weighed at 4-9-0 then the scales are checked, just say 1/2 oz underweighing, then weight converted to metric and listed as such then reconverted to imperial and you have a small change to 4-9-9 giving the false impression the fish was weighed on scales accurate to a dram. With crucians they realised this was happening and the current record is more accurate.

mick b

Reaction score
Keep the drammes.....

AND the rods, poles, perch and chain.....afterall a cricket pitch is still one chain in length and an acre is 10chains x 10chains.......:D

:eek:mg:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well...! Last month or so of the season I had some really fat dace from the Wey, several of which were a struggle to swing to hand! I actually put a few straight back before finally, out of curiosity, tried to weigh one. I awarded myself one at 10oz but wasn't happy. Also reasonably certain a few that went back were bigger.

So prior to the next few trips I acquired one of these:

Buy Salter Digital Scale - White at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Kitchen scales.

Tried my best to hide it and secretly use it whilst no-one was about and had several dace up to 11oz and one at a fraction over 12oz. But those dace moved on as I only had a couple more in the last two trips. Some of the earlier dace were definitely bigger!

I'm now better prepared for next winter :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuUutC2lzI

flightliner

Reaction score
Interesting neil, by taking the trouble to find the exact weight you had to step outside the angling market to find scales that suited your requirements for weighing your catch.:thumbs:

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
A natty gadget Neil, but I would think they'll weigh slightly differently depending on the surface they're placed on. You also need a reasonably flat area for the same reason.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Tried my best to hide it and secretly use it whilst no-one was about and had several dace up to 11oz and one at a fraction over 12oz.

Knowing your methods I bet that 12oz dace was actually 8 ozs of dace and 3 ozs of maggot.:D

Nice little gizmo scale though....very handy for specimen gudgin hunters !

mick b

Reaction score
Are you still subscribing to that SM site?

You mean the Dutch one you sent me the link to............:eek:

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

Knowing your methods I bet that 12oz dace was actually 8 ozs of dace and 3 ozs of maggot.:D.

:D:D:D:D::D oh wonderful...

I think it is called 'feeding' (the whole river) S-Kippy.......or should that be laying down a carpet of bait.....:eek:mg:

I did notice that Neil uses a 3 gallon bait bucket and has very big hands, and fishes as if its the last day he will ever be there...........his the results however speak for themselves.

'Vive la difference'