Set fair for the weekend. Anyone out?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
18 deg forecast for the weekend and beyond.
Saturday I will try Marsworth Res in Tring. See if the bream are moving.
Sunday I'm fishing the open match at Willows lakes ( formally Bowmans )
at London Colney.
Fished the midweek open there today, it was rock'ard in the east wind.
4 skimmers on the method and 6m pellet and one on the pole to caster.
The wind got a bit blustery this afternoon and it hailed and rained. Came nowhere....

Anyone else out this weekend?

nicepix

Reaction score
Hopefully. I ventured out earlier in the week and got soaked and cold due to the blustery conditions, but the weekend is looking fair. Problem is that I'm looking after our friend's house and pets until Tuesday and so if I do manage a session it will be a short one. Probably a river session.

B

binka

Doubling up with a mate on Saturday and looking forward to a days waggler fishing at long last on a local lake where I'm expecting to do well for the forecast nice conditions.

Fished the same lake yesterday on the tip and did fairly well with around 25 - 30 skimmers up to around a 1lb but felt I would have taken more on the wag, roll on Saturday!

Will play Sunday by ear but might go micro luring for the last two or three hours of daylight, especially as it will be an hour later before it gets dark.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Was hoping to get my first trout trip in this weekend but this cold easterly has done for that.The rod average is currently 0.3 [11 anglers caught 3 fish :eek:] The warmer weather that's forecast should stir the buzzers up a bit and I can wait another week.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Out yesterday for a few hours roach fishing, cold in the wind and it was all change a few times as their feeding went from on the deck (about 8') to up in the water (about 3') back down, back up and back down again. Never managed to locate the 2lb+ fish on the day but took quite a few to around this size.........
roach2lb_zps70020a36.jpg

Keith M

Reaction score
I cant get out with a rod till Tuesday when I'll either do a bit of Carp fishing at my local estate lake or do a bit of waggler fishing at one of my clubs lakes in St. Albans (River Side) and try my new Acolyte out on some small Carp.

Keith (BoldBear)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Depending upon the weather next week, and how I feel on the day/s, it's the estate lake for tench or a bit of drop shotting on the farm ponds for one of the large resident perch.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I listened to the forecasters and ventured forth to a pit that really isn't showing much sign of waking up from its winter slumber just yet. The weathermen got it very wrong. Apparently you only had to travel about ten to fifteen miles south and it was wall to wall sunshine and 15 degrees. Where I was it was overcast, with a biting north easterly and struggled to get to ten degrees. To add insult to injury, I couldn't buy a bite.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished the estate lake today (there were three of us on the water) for the first time this year from 9.30-3 for some early season tench. The water was still very clear/cool and holding a good level. First impression was how few of the pads were visible above the water – second impression, oops they didn’t die down – they were last year’s thick stemmed growth and because the water level was high it covered most of the pads. Once into the tench this was proved without a shadow of a doubt. Also the pond weed survived the winter and last year’s growth was quite prolific – a couple of the tincas came in like snotties, mainly due to being blind folded by the weed.

In the end, seven tench and one rogue carp on the bank – all the tench were male, apart from the last one, and all could do with packing on a bit of weight. There was nothing that was going to warrant airing the scales but a most enjoyable first tench session of the year.............

spapr2014_zps2fe4499b.jpg

sptinca1sp42014_zpsf64b9667.jpg

badgeroo

Reaction score
Hi all!
We will be out saturday fishing the worcester and Birmingham canal around bridge 21. Walked down there this morning and it looked ok. Times have been lean of late and its time for the tables to turn. :thumbs::thumbs:

Keith M

Reaction score
I had an afternoon on my local estate lake on Tuesday, and there was only one other angler on the lake so I had the place virtually to myself.

I had wanted to catch a couple of Carp on one rod while seeing what I could catch on my new Acolyte float rod, however after setting up my Carp rod I realised that In my hurry I had left my Carp leads, baiting needles and forcepts in my other bag back home in the shed, Damn!!! (or words to that effect LOL), so I just had to be content with doing a bit of waggler fishing.

I moved to the Bridge swim (see pic) where I knew there were usually Roach and Bream lurking and setup my float rod and started catching Roach, Bream and Perch.

The Bridge Swim (This bridge will be where the BBC will be filming their program about the civil war in a few weeks time)

It didn't take much feeding to get the fish going and by 6 o-clock I had caught around 12lb to 15lb of small Bream, Roach and small Perch. I didn't have any Tench or Crucians; which I was hoping for; there was nothing big but it was a pleasant spring afternoon all the same.

A few of the fish I was catching; nothing huge but hey it was a nice to be out on a warm spring day.

Next time I will have to double check that I have packed everything if I want to catch a few Carp.

tight lines
Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Keith, the carp in our estate lake were patrolling the surface in large numbers from mid morning and got me twitching for a moment. As we'd had a few 'up in the water' carp sessions on a local gravel pit recently I stuck to the reason I was there....

nicepix

Reaction score
I'll be off tomorrow. I've got a mole trapping job to do first though. I usually do them Mon / Wed / Fri, but the customer needed a quick job doing so I'll be checking the traps I left yesterday and seeing as he lives two minutes from the River Vienne where I fished last week, it would be silly not to stop off for a session :)

I'll probably try a different swim, a hundred metres or so upstream and put out two rods; one for carbel and another for catfish. Shan't bother fannying about with the light rod for chub tomorrow.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm fishing a match at Alders farm Gt Brickhill M.K. on Pines lake.
Up against some formidable opposition and I fully expect to get totally
battered!